1980 KE 175 Hesitation - Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums
 1Likes
  • 1 Post By KE175enthusiast

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 08-20-2014, 08:52 PM Thread Starter

1980 KE 175 Hesitation

I recently purchased a used 1980 KE 175 with 8900 miles on it, it is the exact same year and model i had when i was 16, i loved that bike and when i saw this one i had to have it. It is in good shape and everything works. When i test drove it it stalled at stop signs and hesitated a bit when cracking open the throttle from low rpm, i figured carb needs to be cleaned no big deal. After bringing it home in the truck i noticed gas under the bike and was sure the carb just needed cleaning for sure(sticky floats). I took the carb apart cleaned everything with carb cleaner( had varnished up a LOT), blew it dry and reassembled, took off the tank and cleaned it as well, put an inline filter on it and filled it with fresh gas, took out the spark plug and cleaned it.
It still hesitates from low rpm, if i goose the throttle a little bit before snapping it open it takes off great.
Anyone have any ideas on what else i can do?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 08-21-2014, 08:13 AM
BTK Expert

Re: 1980 KE 175 Hesitation

I have a 1977. Other than making sure the timing is dead on (it should be if it's CDI but somebody might have messed with it--if your's has points/condensor they may need replacement?) -no vacuum leaks on the intake, your air filter and exhaust pipe baffle are clean, you should be ok? When I take mine out, I have to remind myself it's only 175cc -not my KZ1000 !!!----- 2nd note= your bike is likely not a rotary valve engine so check the reed valves on the intake??
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 08-21-2014, 07:59 PM Thread Starter

No vacuum leaks, i will check the timing to see if its been messed with as it does have the cdi, i also never even thought to check the air filter (duhhh)and you are correct, it is not a rotary valve engine. What exactly should i look for with the reed valve ?

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 08-22-2014, 09:19 AM
BTK Expert

My 2 strokers are rotary valve so I'm no expert but from what I understand, it acts like a check valve in the fuel/air flow to the cylinder to improve low speed running mostly? You have to remove the carb and intake manifold to get at it--- there are flexible "petals" that close when the cylinder is not on the intake part of the cycle= make sure none are broken/torn and that they close properly but be careful handling them! Make sure your baffle in the exhaust pipe is not plugged up as that can bog down performance.
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 08-22-2014, 06:57 PM Thread Starter

OK, I've checked the reed valves and they are fine, checked the air filter and it was clean, i will remove the baffle and check and clean that too but its looking to me like it must be in the timing. Removed the baffle and cleaned, it was a little dirty but not the problem, removed the carb again and ran a small wire through the low speed jet and cleaned the whole carb again. Guy at the Kawasaki dealer suggested spraying brake cleaner around the rubber boots for the carb and intake, if the idle goes up i had a leak and was sucking air, nothing happened when i tried that, idle stayed the same.
Problem still exists any other ideas?
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 08-08-2015, 02:08 PM Thread Starter

Figured it out, it was the piston skirt. After removing the head and cylinder i saw the piston was missing a piece of the skirt on the side that faces the reed valves. There are 2 holes at the bottom of the skirt that as i was told by the Kawasaki dealer help to balance pressure in the cylinder and 1 of the holes was opened completely up by the missing piece of skirt. Got a new piston .010 oversize and had the cylinder bored to match and it runs like a champ again now.
Thanks for the suggestions though everyone.
kevinfoxrpm likes this.
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 01-21-2016, 08:04 AM

KE175enthusiast, I have so many questions for you. So I recently picked up a 80' KE175 myself. The oil pump had been plugged, so no lubrication. Needless to say the piston and cylinder are trash. Where did you find the oversized piston? Have a part number or source? Also where did you have the cylinder machined? Did they nikasil the cylinder? Please get back to me as soon as you can. You can also e-mail me at Kevinfoxrpm@Gmail.com. I REALLY appreciate it!
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 08-24-2016, 01:38 PM

1980 Kawasaki KE 175

Quote:
Originally Posted by KE175enthusiast View Post
Figured it out, it was the piston skirt. After removing the head and cylinder i saw the piston was missing a piece of the skirt on the side that faces the reed valves. There are 2 holes at the bottom of the skirt that as i was told by the Kawasaki dealer help to balance pressure in the cylinder and 1 of the holes was opened completely up by the missing piece of skirt. Got a new piston .010 oversize and had the cylinder bored to match and it runs like a champ again now.
Thanks for the suggestions though everyone.

Good that your KE is now back running the way it should be I am new to this forum I just join about few minutes ago. I have kept these bike quite a few two red in color and one was blue but in my country Pakistan these bikes are Japan Assembled and did have the rpm where else I see in USA they do not have rpms. If I may ask how much did you buy your one for? and does it have rpm? Thanks

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page