KLR 250 Carby Trouble-Clogged STARTER jet - Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 2 (permalink) Old 04-12-2016, 09:25 PM Thread Starter
BTK Beginner

KLR 250 Carby Trouble-Clogged STARTER jet

Hi all, I have had continuous trouble with cold starts since purchasing this bike 3 years ago ('95 KLR 250 w/only 4k on the clock).
I've been "cheating" by using starting fluid (I'm embarrassed to admit that yes...I drilled a small hole in the air cleaner box, installed a small "door" to cover it after shooting ether into the box). After all, I'm in my 40's, have flamingo legs and it's killer to kick this animal 50+ times before bringing her to life.

Attempting to take one last stab at her before just buying another carb, I've finally identified the trouble.
Seems that the starter jet is / has been clogged.
Looks like the P.O. found out too as there are witness marks on the brass flange of the starter jet (assuming left by vice grips or pliers) and also it appears that he started to drill it out as there is material lapped over the hole...and she's plumb plugged beyond that...
I have:
Adjusted valves
replaced Pilot and main jets, idler screw, etc, float plunger
Installed a brand new plunger assembly ("choke")
Cleaned carb 4x now
Opened up the air box to ensure good air flow
replaced air filter

I'm CERTAIN this is my problem. Fuel can't make it's way through the winding passages up to the choke circuit for the "next" start.

Wondering if anyone has experienced similar trouble and what the thoughts might be if I were to just drill out the STARTER jet.
Here's a pic of my situation (man, that's a tough picture to get).
And also a pic from KLR250/blogspot.

Any takers?
Any help / advice would be GREATLY appreciated!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_1049.jpg (264.4 KB, 5 views)
File Type: jpg keihin_klr250_carb.jpg (36.1 KB, 3 views)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 2 (permalink) Old 04-18-2016, 10:30 AM Thread Starter
BTK Beginner

UPDATE:
I was able to successfully restore the Starter jet port by drilling out the lapped over material with a 0.5mm drill bit from Harbor Freight.
Of course, the bit was too small to chuck up in my Bosch drill so, after about an hour of spinning the bit in my finger tips, I was able to remove enough material from the brass insert.
Re-installed the carby and she came to life after a whopping 2 kicks!
By the way, I also found a much easier way to re-install the carb.
Install the Rubber boot (air box side) onto the carb "outside" the bike, and then shimmy her in there from Left side (gear shift side) of the bike.
Be sure to get the choke plunger installed first however, otherwise it's nearly impossible to tighten the plastic fitting up once the carb is in place.
I actually tightened it in and then "pulled" the 90 degree guide out (with choke lever in "off" position) and let it dangle a bit. I'd seen that suggestion previously so that not to break the plastic threads off...little sensitive.

I'm very happy with my KLR now...I don't have to cheat anymore (with starting fluid) and I now have energy to actually ride now that I don't have to kick the beast 50+ times to get her started!

Next to do on the list is to replace the front brake line with stainless...current rubberized line is too forgiving and expands when brake is applied.
Looking for a little more responsiveness.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page