1978 KE175 new to me - Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 3 (permalink) Old 09-09-2016, 03:40 PM Thread Starter
PAD

1978 KE175 new to me

Hi all, new member here with what I suspect will be the first round of many questions. A little background first, this is my first bike and I don't have much experience with engines but I am mechanically inclined.

I recently acquired a 1978 KE175 that looks to be in really good condition aside from the the tank needing a good cleaning. Now that the tank has been taken care of with a good vinegar soak and a fuel filter installed I was going to take a look at the carb to see what state it's in. Before i go tearing into things...

Does anyone have a digital copy of the manual for the 78? I've found some later model manuals online but not one that covers the 78 175.

It appears that models from other years have a cover for the carb only. It looks like the 78 the cover is one piece for the carb and gearbox (I think). Do I pull the drain plug on the bottom before removing the cover?

The air filter seems to have disintegrated so the plan is to order up some foam and fab a new one around the cage but I'm not sure what thickness or density to go with. Any tips from those who have gone before? T

Any thoughts would help. Thanks in advance.
-Paul
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 (permalink) Old 03-05-2017, 06:50 AM
79 ke250

Hi. If it was me and I wasn't sure if by removing the cover it would drain the oil. I would just place a good sized drain pan under the cover area and start unbolting all of the bolts just enough to take the tension off. Then gently pull the case away from the engine and see if a little bit of oil leaks out . If it does, drain it. If not just continue removing bolts. I think it takes less than 1 liter anyway. Worst case scenario ten bucks down the tube. For your air filter material you can buy actual air filter foam online i've heard that you can cut to the size you need.
post #3 of 3 (permalink) Old 03-05-2017, 06:58 AM
79 ke250

How's it run? I got one too. I picked one up last year. Engine is super strong but she's pretty weathered looking. I also have a ke 250 that I did what I like to call a rushtoration on haha . One of my first bikes was a ke 100 so I'm hoping to get that nostalgia feeling this spring from the 250 with alot more oomph.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page