Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

1978 KE175 new to me

3K views 3 replies 3 participants last post by  jvan28 
#1 ·
Hi all, new member here with what I suspect will be the first round of many questions. A little background first, this is my first bike and I don't have much experience with engines but I am mechanically inclined.

I recently acquired a 1978 KE175 that looks to be in really good condition aside from the the tank needing a good cleaning. Now that the tank has been taken care of with a good vinegar soak and a fuel filter installed I was going to take a look at the carb to see what state it's in. Before i go tearing into things...

Does anyone have a digital copy of the manual for the 78? I've found some later model manuals online but not one that covers the 78 175.

It appears that models from other years have a cover for the carb only. It looks like the 78 the cover is one piece for the carb and gearbox (I think). Do I pull the drain plug on the bottom before removing the cover?

The air filter seems to have disintegrated so the plan is to order up some foam and fab a new one around the cage but I'm not sure what thickness or density to go with. Any tips from those who have gone before? T

Any thoughts would help. Thanks in advance.
-Paul

See less See more
#2 ·
Hi. If it was me and I wasn't sure if by removing the cover it would drain the oil. I would just place a good sized drain pan under the cover area and start unbolting all of the bolts just enough to take the tension off. Then gently pull the case away from the engine and see if a little bit of oil leaks out . If it does, drain it. If not just continue removing bolts. I think it takes less than 1 liter anyway. Worst case scenario ten bucks down the tube. For your air filter material you can buy actual air filter foam online i've heard that you can cut to the size you need.

#3 ·
How's it run? I got one too. I picked one up last year. Engine is super strong but she's pretty weathered looking. I also have a ke 250 that I did what I like to call a rushtoration on haha . One of my first bikes was a ke 100 so I'm hoping to get that nostalgia feeling this spring from the 250 with alot more oomph.

#4 ·
as far as cleaning the carb goes its not an overly complex carb and for some one mechanicaly inclined its not a task that requires a diagram however if you are worried go to partzilla.com and there are diagrams that show the order parts belong in. just remember to grab a can or 2 of carb clean because for the real tuff gunk brake clean and air wont really cut it. plus if there set up the same as the 81 remember to take off the small plastic cover on the throttle side thats at the front of the crank case to expose the 2stroke oil pump and remove and inspect the hoses and use carbclean and air to clean it inside and out remove the center screw it will make cleaning it easier

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.