Kawasaki Super Sherpa 250 - Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 14 (permalink) Old 09-01-2008, 05:23 PM Thread Starter
Air Force Vet
BTK Expert

Kawasaki Super Sherpa 250

Anyone have or had one? How did you like it and any other info you might one to add. I think they are cool bikes and seem to hold there value pretty well.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 (permalink) Old 09-03-2008, 03:05 PM
RCW
BTK Expert

They are great little bikes for light trail riding and tooling around local streets. The only trouble I ever had with mine was that it was a bit too small for me, and more in line with smaller riders that are not more than about 5'6" or so tall. But, it was bulletproof and I do not think anyone could ever break it or wear it out!

Kawasaki also sold a KLX400 in a dual sport version that is a rebadged Suzuki DR-Z400S, and it weighs just about the same as the little Super Sherpa, but has an engine designed in conjunction with Yoshimura that cranks out a real 40 horses and will scoot down the highway at freeway speeds all day long, will hit over a 100, and gets 50 plus miles to the gallon. It is even better as an off road bike than the Super Sherpa because of the longer suspension travel and more power.

If toys will get me in the door when it is time to go, I have it made!
post #3 of 14 (permalink) Old 09-17-2008, 11:01 PM
Forum Supporter
Forum Supporter

My '02, I picked up a couple years ago. Had 400 miles and now has over 7000. I'm 6'4" and don't have a problem with this small bike. Suspension is definately old school, but got to love the 69 MPG.

post #4 of 14 (permalink) Old 02-03-2010, 07:53 AM Thread Starter
Air Force Vet
BTK Expert

The sherpa was retured to production in 09 not sure if if its in the lineup for 2010. Thats the good part the bad is they are selling for about the same as a KLR 650....if they were about a grand cheaper they would be selling alot more. This is a great little bike!! Get one while you can!
post #5 of 14 (permalink) Old 06-21-2010, 05:39 PM Thread Starter
Air Force Vet
BTK Expert

Re: Kawasaki Super Sherpa 250

3000+ Views and no one talks about there Super sherpa.....Ok, i will. I now have one a 2000 model, at first i wasent thrilled but its growing on me more each time i ride! Very light weight handles great and smooth for a single. Everyone i have talked to that has one really likes it. Very easy to load in a truck for camping trips and running errands.

Some of the changes i have made so far, i lowered the rear about 2.5 inches with my homemade dogbones cut about 1 inch out of the sidestand so it would not fall over...and slid the forks up about 3/4 of an inch. Now my boots are flat on the ground at lights and in the woods. I added a small windshield, never acquired a taste for bugs or bee stings! I designed and built a luggage rack and the mounts, painted all the green plastic a silver metal flake to match the tank looks alot better. An aluminum trunk is coming soon, that way i can haul more stuff and lock it when needed. A seat mod will be in the future, that skinny seat does not fit an adult arse after 30 minutes of street time...

So far my average gas mileage is 71 MPG im positive running a steady speed of around 55-60 mph on a county road i could get in the high 70s. Overall the Super Sherpa is a high quality very nice bike and no doohicky or radiator to worry about! Prices have come down get a new one while you can!
post #6 of 14 (permalink) Old 07-01-2010, 02:13 PM
BTK Expert

I've never owned one, but I did put about 40 trail miles on one last year. Awesome bike, a little expensive and seems to have excellent resale value.
If there was one thing I'd change is that damnable choke cable. I think they're over-engineered for a simple rarely used function, just leave the pull-knob. Otherwise it's a great machine. I'd have put my gf on one if I could have found one for $1500 instead of $2500 on the pre-owned market. That is if you can find one at all.

Link removed from this signature, please read forum rules.
post #7 of 14 (permalink) Old 08-11-2010, 07:54 AM

Just picked up my 05 Sherpa yesterday. I LUV HER! This is such a sweet little bike to ride. Incredibly easy and FUN FUN FUN!
Now I just need to find some racks so I can run all my errands on her!
I have another bike (02 B6) and while he's great for riding with friends and hubby (09 CBF1000) the ease of riding the Sherpa means she'll be out and about much more when I'm on my own.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Photo on 2010-08-10 at 07.45 #2.jpg (135.0 KB, 23 views)
post #8 of 14 (permalink) Old 08-12-2010, 11:29 AM
My hat is made of tinfoil
BTK Expert

Quote:
Originally Posted by AL0404 View Post
Just picked up my 05 Sherpa yesterday. I LUV HER! This is such a sweet little bike to ride. Incredibly easy and FUN FUN FUN!
Now I just need to find some racks so I can run all my errands on her!
I have another bike (02 B6) and while he's great for riding with friends and hubby (09 CBF1000) the ease of riding the Sherpa means she'll be out and about much more when I'm on my own.
Congrats, they are a good reliable bike, and fun for smaller people, like yourself.

I simply do not fit them, and thats the only reason I would not own one.

Being 6'2" tall and 200 pounds, its a little cramped for me and my 36 inch legs etc.

Rarely see them in my shop with problems, just more routine stuff like needing tires, new chain/sprockets, a low beam bulb burned out, that sort of thing.

Why do supposed professionals tell you something is a law, and when you check its not?
post #9 of 14 (permalink) Old 08-23-2010, 08:28 AM Thread Starter
Air Force Vet
BTK Expert

Sherpa update, after changing the jetting based on what others have done i was not quite happy with the way the bike ran so i made some changes. This is what others have done, going up one size on the main and pilot. Stock size is a 127.5 main and 17.6 pilot so i wet to a 130 main and a 20 pilot and backed the air screw out 3 turns. This setup the bike ran a bit rich on the bottom end. Would start and run with no choke or very little for a few seconds like 5 and i was only getting 70 mpg.

This made the bike better but not quite right so i replaced the 20 pilot with the stock 17.5 adjusted the screw 2.5 turns out, what made the most positive change was adding a .020 washer under the needle i kept the 130 main. I want a better running engine and great mileage at the same time!

So after these changes i took a ride..Wow what a difference in rideability the engine seems alot happier now with more smooth torque on take off and when accelerating through the gears and roll on in 6th gear. So the final setup is 130 main with a .020 washer between the clip and factory shim stock 17.5 pilot and 2.5 turns out on air screw. Im at sea level. These small changes really help the bike alot and make it run alot better.
post #10 of 14 (permalink) Old 07-11-2012, 12:56 AM

more photos needed!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page