VN900 Oil Question - Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums
 1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 19 (permalink) Old 04-28-2009, 11:00 AM Thread Starter
Former Vulcan Lady
ULTIMATE Forum Supporter

VN900 Oil Question

I did search the forum but I was overwhelmed by the amount of posts that came up so I thought I would throw this out there and hope someone has a good answer for me.

First off, I normally change my own oil every 3,000 miles with regular oil. I am thinking of going to synthetic. Here are my questions.

1. How many miles between oil changes with synthetic?
2. I have 1,500 miles since my last oil change. Normally I would wait to switch but I have an opportunity to have an oil change done at a shop, using synthetic oil, for $60. We are getting special pricing for members of our riding group. Would is be worth it to just get it done with only 1,500 miles at this price?
3. What positive changes can I expect with synthetic vs. regular oil?

My bike takes 3 1/4 quarts for an oil change.

All help is very much appreciated.

2016 Harley Street Glide Special Finally got it
2007 Vulcan 900 Classic Gone but not forgotten
2006 Vulcan 500 and 2009 Vulcan 900 Classic Sold

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 19 (permalink) Old 04-28-2009, 12:16 PM
Is it 2012 yet!!??
BTK Expert

Probably won't answer your questions very well, but here are a few thoughts. I've changed my oil 3 times since purchasing the bike new, and just changed it again this last weekend. Ended up going with Rotella T dino after reading a lot of posts on this forum, so far, performance seems great. I think I actually made a mistake with my previous oil change, I had used just plain 10-W30, and I noticed with my last couple of rides as things start to heat up here in Texas, that I smelled a kind of burning smell, almost like electrical burn. Don't know fir sure if it was my bike or just something on the road, but it happened on two different rides when I was riding it a bit hard and the air temp was in the upper-80's.

So I figured I needed to get a W-40 oil to handle the heat better, and went with the Rotella T since it's 15-W40, and considered the full synthetic which is 5-W40. We'll see how the 15-W40 goes, so far I don't notice the burning smell since the change. Full synthetic I would think would last closer to 5 or 6,000 miles, but I want to change the oil more frequently, so decided to go dino oil to keep the cost lower.

2007 Vulcan 900LT
post #3 of 19 (permalink) Old 04-28-2009, 12:25 PM
BTK Expert

Quote:
Originally Posted by DebbieW View Post
See if you can get Rich to respond. He has done a lot of testing and can be a lot of help.

Quote:
2. I have 1,500 miles since my last oil change. Normally I would wait to switch but I have an opportunity to have an oil change done at a shop, using synthetic oil, for $60. We are getting special pricing for members of our riding group. Would is be worth it to just get it done with only 1,500 miles at this price?
If you do the oil change yourself you can do it for about half that cost. It only takes a few minutes and is very easy to do.

Quote:
Sometimes you will get a little smoother shifting and a little less noise from the motor but mostly the biggest advantage is the longer change intervals. I usual shoot for 5000 miles but if I am out on the road I have gone as long as 6000 miles between oil changes but like I said Rich can really help you here. He has done the test.

post #4 of 19 (permalink) Old 04-28-2009, 12:27 PM
Enjoying midlife Crisis!
BTK Expert

Oil put aside, if you can change your own oil, do you trust someone else with your motorcycle? At least if you do it yourself, you know exactly whats been done.

-Ersterhernd
Jim823 likes this.

'09 Voyager ABS
Titanium/Black
post #5 of 19 (permalink) Old 04-28-2009, 09:26 PM Thread Starter
Former Vulcan Lady
ULTIMATE Forum Supporter

Bump. Hoping Rich will see this.

2016 Harley Street Glide Special Finally got it
2007 Vulcan 900 Classic Gone but not forgotten
2006 Vulcan 500 and 2009 Vulcan 900 Classic Sold

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #6 of 19 (permalink) Old 04-28-2009, 10:27 PM
BTK Intermediate

Quote:
I did search the forum but I was overwhelmed by the amount of posts that came up so I thought I would throw this out there and hope someone has a good answer for me.

First off, I normally change my own oil every 3,000 miles with regular oil. I am thinking of going to synthetic. Here are my questions.

All help is very much appreciated.

To pay someone else $60 to change your oil??? No way. I suggest you do some more diggin' on this website and find out what oils are preferred and pick one.

Positive changes? Not enough to warrant the higher prices, imo.

With only 1500 miles on your current oil, you have quite a long wway to go before you need to have it changed.

'08 Vulcan 900 Classic LT
White/Titanium

Anyone else in Sioux Falls?
post #7 of 19 (permalink) Old 04-29-2009, 03:09 AM
BTK Intermediate

if it's quality synthetic oil 60 is a fair price, that stuff is around 10 a quart! plus the filter and labor, not bad for sixty. You can get valvoline and do it yourself for around 25, it all depends on what you want to do.
post #8 of 19 (permalink) Old 04-29-2009, 03:47 AM
Patriot Guardian
Extreme Forum Supporter

Quote:
I run about 4,000, but have gone 6,000.
Now, this is on full-synthetic MC-specific Mobil-1 V-Twin and Amsoil MCV.
The other synthetics that I've tried (Several automotive and one MC-specific) did not hold their viscosity even at 2,000 miles, so I can not make an extended mileage recommendation on anything but the Mobil-1 and Amsoil products.
Quote:
I do it myself for $50, that's using a Mobil-1 filter (M1-108 will fit the 900).

What oil are they planning to use? If anything other than M1 V-Twin, M1 Racing-4T, or Amsoil MCV or MCF, I'd do it myself. $60 isn't a bad deal if that includes labor and a quality filter (stay away from Fram/Pennzoil).
Quote:
Nothing glaringly obvious when riding.
Some people report smoother shifting, some don't. Some report reduced temperatures, some don't.
What I can guarantee is that you will get better cold-flow performance (better protection on cold starts), higher resistance to coking which will reduce sludge and varnish buildup, and better viscosity stability IF it is a good quality synthetic.
Quote:
I think it's closer to 3.5

Here's my personal test results:
http://personal.linkline.com/rlockyer/oil/oil.xls

All but the V-Twin and MCV sheared down from 50wt to 30wt in 2,000 miles, including the automotive synthetics, which actually didn't do any better than Castrol GTX.
The two above oils had barely broken into the 40wt range after 6,000 miles.

I would not run a non-synthetic longer than 2,000 miles.

- Rich
2006 1600 Ultra-Classic
Patriot Guard Rider
Please put your bike year/model in your sig line or fill in your profile before asking for help.
post #9 of 19 (permalink) Old 04-29-2009, 06:35 AM
IBA#34418
Extreme Forum Supporter

Send a message via Yahoo to pat0021
Quote:
Originally Posted by RichLockyer View Post

I think it's closer to 3.5
The book says with filter 3.2. Without 3.0

And I have been running Amsoil for 22K miles on my 900 and no issues here. I use the Purolater filter for 6 bucks from autozone.

If you can get it done for 60bucks with labor included and a decent filter like Rich says that that isn't too bad a deal. Amsoil is getting close to 11 dollars a quart here in Ohio.

I usually change mine around every 3K.

If you like your freedom thank a Vet!
2012 Victory Cross Country Tour!
U.S Navy Vet

post #10 of 19 (permalink) Old 04-29-2009, 08:05 AM
Needs More Cowbell
ULTIMATE Forum Supporter

I would definately change your own oil. Really easy and takes just a few minutes. Personally, I have noticed smoother shifting and quieter gearbox with synthetic oils. The main benifit would be longer change intervals, but I feel the engine, gearbox and clutches are better protected. High quality synthetics are far more shear-stable than the best conventional oils.
I am running Amsoil right now, but used Lucas M/C oil as well... Mobil-1 oil filter.

'01 1500 Nomad
"we are small and exposed, and probably moving too fast for our own good"
-Dave Karlotski-

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page