VULCAN COOLANT LEAK KNOWLEDGE BASE - Page 2 - Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #11 of 50 (permalink) Old 04-06-2011, 08:44 AM
Forum Supporter
Forum Supporter

Re: VULCAN COOLANT LEAK KNOWLEDGE BASE

same issue on my 06 1600 classic. Not visible but you sure can smell it. Will take the tank off when the weather gets nicer and have at this b*tch.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 50 (permalink) Old 04-26-2011, 11:41 AM
Test Pilot
BTK Expert

Send a message via MSN to Dudester

Bump

2003 Vulcan Classic 1500
195/60/16 Hankook Optimo H426 Darksider
post #13 of 50 (permalink) Old 05-22-2011, 02:39 PM

I just did the 6,000 mile service on my 2004 Vulcan 500 yesterday. Though the reservoir never got low at all I've been smelling coolant since I bought it last month and could see a very small white trail down by the hose running from the bottom of the radiator to the water pump. I planned to replace that hose during the service. When I pulled the fuel tank off it was easy to see that the problem was actually at the hose to the coolant pipe in the top of #2 cylinder. The clamp just wasn't tight enough and the coolant was seeping out there. The spark plug area drain hole is right over the water pump so that's why the coolant was ending up down there. I went around and tightened all the clamps including the ones "hidden" by the fuel tank. After several test rides there is no more smell and everything is bone dry.

Joe

2004 Vulcan 500

post #14 of 50 (permalink) Old 05-22-2011, 06:10 PM
Test Pilot
BTK Expert

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turbojoe View Post
I just did the 6,000 mile service on my 2004 Vulcan 500 yesterday. Though the reservoir never got low at all I've been smelling coolant since I bought it last month and could see a very small white trail down by the hose running from the bottom of the radiator to the water pump. I planned to replace that hose during the service. When I pulled the fuel tank off it was easy to see that the problem was actually at the hose to the coolant pipe in the top of #2 cylinder. The clamp just wasn't tight enough and the coolant was seeping out there. The spark plug area drain hole is right over the water pump so that's why the coolant was ending up down there. I went around and tightened all the clamps including the ones "hidden" by the fuel tank. After several test rides there is no more smell and everything is bone dry.

Joe
Hey way to go Joe, you beat me to it. I will be doing mine as soon as I have a free moment to concentrate on getting the task done. I have bee procrastinating enough, so this week, I'll try and git er' done. I know the problem is just a few loose clamps, but I've been a little scared of removing the gas tank, but I'm now determined, it's gotta get done, and I must stop putting it off. I'll report back once it's fixed, and I'll try and post some play by play pictures as I do it, to help some other poor procrastinating sap with hope that it will help them out and give them the confidence to do it.
I'm also on the verge of replacing my motorcycle rear tire for a car tire, but that's another thread and discussion.
Thanks for posting the results you got. Welcome to the forum and safe roads.

2003 Vulcan Classic 1500
post #15 of 50 (permalink) Old 05-22-2011, 09:47 PM

It took me less than 5 minutes to remove my tank for the very first time. One 8mm bolt on the instrument panel. Lift it up and disconnect the speedo and two electrical connectors and the panel is off. One 8mm bolt to remove the seat. Two vent hoses on the right side of the tank, one vacuum hose and the fuel supply hose on the left side, two 12mm bolts and off comes the tank. Easy as that. At least on my 500.

Joe

2004 Vulcan 500
post #16 of 50 (permalink) Old 05-22-2011, 11:08 PM
Test Pilot
BTK Expert

Thanks Joe, I know once I do it, I'll be kicking myself for having waited so long....DOH !
On my 1500. the procedure is a little different than your 500, but basically the same.

2003 Vulcan Classic 1500
post #17 of 50 (permalink) Old 06-12-2011, 10:46 AM

Help I too have a coolant leak but not from a hose, I wish it was that simple. I have a 95 vulcan 800 and I just noticed that I am leaking coolant from the pipe going from the top of the Right Engine Cover to the Crankcase. It's leaking from where it goes into the crankcase. It appears to be a seal issue but I am leary of taking off the cover (only way I can see to remove pipe) as I do not know what all I will need to replace if I do. I have the service manual but it is useless. It shows an exploded view, but no part numbers or descriptions or what needs sealant and so forth. Please help.
post #18 of 50 (permalink) Old 06-12-2011, 01:40 PM
Test Pilot
BTK Expert

Sorry Chaz, can't help you with your question, but I'm sure some of the more mechanical guru's here will chime in soon.
In the mean time, here is a thread that I added some pictures on how to tighten the rad hose clamps, and removing the gas tank.
http://www.kawasakimotorcycle.org/fo...se-clamps.html

2003 Vulcan Classic 1500
post #19 of 50 (permalink) Old 09-22-2011, 04:09 PM

I have the same issue with My Vulcan 900. I am noticing leakage from around the clamps. I have to find a way to loosen the tank, so that I can get in there and tighten the clamps. The owners manual is no real help. If any one knows how, please do share.
post #20 of 50 (permalink) Old 09-22-2011, 05:16 PM Thread Starter
Slow Guy on a Fast Bike
Extreme Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlkSteele View Post
I have the same issue with My Vulcan 900. I am noticing leakage from around the clamps. I have to find a way to loosen the tank, so that I can get in there and tighten the clamps. The owners manual is no real help. If any one knows how, please do share.
I'm not sure how to loosen and/or remove the tank on the 900. Post a question in the cruiser thread about "900 tank removal" or something like that, and I'll bet you get the help you need.

So you want to buy a sportbike as your first bike and have questions?
Please Read First:

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

08 Midnite Sapphire Blue ZX-14

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page