Kawasaki Synthetic 4-stroke. Is it worth the $??? - Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums
 1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 21 (permalink) Old 07-31-2011, 10:53 PM Thread Starter

Kawasaki Synthetic 4-stroke. Is it worth the $???

Is Kawasaki synthetic 4-stroke oil any better in these V-twins that another good synthetic? i.e. Mobile 1? Kawasaki certainly thinks it is.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 21 (permalink) Old 07-31-2011, 11:00 PM
BTK Expert

Re: Kawasaki Synthetic 4-stroke. Is it worth the $???

Recently(maybe last week?) someone here had clutch problems, I told them to change the oil and replace it with Shell Rotella. He did and the clutch problem went away. I think he was using a Kawasaki oil...

Best Oils To Use In Your Bike (Just My Opinion)

Engine oil : The commercial grade oils are clearly superior to the mass market oils. For the best protection in your bike or car, use Shell Rotella Synthetic, available at Wal-Mart in blue containers . For the best petroleum oil you can buy, get Shell Rotella T, Mobil Delvac 1300, or Chevron Delo 400, available at any auto parts store. On the back of most oil cans is a circular stamp with the certification. Avoid oils that say "energy conserving" in the bottom half of the donut. These oils contain friction modifier additives that could cause clutch slipping over time. The EPA mandated certain gas mileage, so the auto makers turned to the oil manufacturers who came up with friction modifiers of the oil to meet these new standards. All XXw-20 and XXw-30 oils are energy conserving, and should not be used in your motorcycle. Don't buy any oil additives like STP or Slick-50. Here's several listings on all about oil justifying these conclusions.

The Recommended Synthetic Oils :

Shell Rotella Synthetic
5w-40 Delvac 1 Synthetic
5w-40 Mobil-1 SUV/Truck Synthetic
5w-40 AMSOil AMF Synthetic (pricey, but itís your money)
10w-40 Golden Spectro Synthetic
10w-50 Motul 5100 Synthetic
10w-40 Mobil-1 Synthetic
15w-50 Mobil-1 MX4T Synthetic

The best synthetics are: (in no particular order)

Shell Rotella-T Synthetic 5w-40 (blue container, not white), gallon at Wal-Mart.
Mobil Delvac-1 5w-40 (grey container, not black), gallon at Petro stations, gallon at Farm and Fleet.
Mobil-1 SUV 5w-40, qt anywhere.
AMSOil AMF 10w-40 synthetic motorcycle oil. (again, pricey)
Golden Spectro Supreme, (no price).
Motul 5100 Ester, (no price).

Mobil-1 automotive oils all contain small amounts of moly - about 100 to 200 ppm. This can cause clutch slippage in some motorcycles. I've only heard of this being a problem in Honda Shadows.

For temperatures below -40, I strongly recommend either Mobil-1 0w-30 or the Canadian Shell 0w-40 Rotella. At these temperatures, your car is your life. Using cheap or incorrect oil is risking your life.

For temperatures below -55c, -65f, stay home. Really.

The Recommended Petroleum Oils

Chevron Delo 400 15w-40
Delvac 1300 15w-40
Shell Rotella 15w-40

The best petroleum oils are: (in no particular order)

Chevron Delo 400 15w-40 (blue container) gallon at any auto parts store, gallons at Costco.

Mobil Delvac 1300 15w-40 (black container) gallon at any auto parts store, gallons at Sam's Club.

Shell Rotella-T 15w-40 (white container) gallon at Wal-Mart or any auto parts store, gallons at Sam's Club.

Castrol 15w-40 (Green container) gallon at Wal-Mart or any auto parts store, gallons at Samís club.

If you live in another country, you'll have to do a bit of research to decide on an oil. Generally, any oil certified for use in a late model Volks wagon or Mercedes turbo diesel is a good choice. Another good idea is to go to a truck stop and ask the truckers about brands. Rotella is marketed all over the world, but in other countries it's called Rotella or Rimola or Helix Ultra, and the formulation may be a bit different, depending on local climate and preferences. It will likely also be a lot more expensive than it is here.

Mike Folks
post #3 of 21 (permalink) Old 08-01-2011, 08:45 AM
Nobody Home
BTK Expert

"Best" synthetic: Red Line Synthetic Oil - Motorcycles, ATVs, and Powersports

post #4 of 21 (permalink) Old 08-01-2011, 11:08 AM
Stoopit Moderator
ULTIMATE Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by ffrnemtp View Post
Is Kawasaki synthetic 4-stroke oil any better in these V-twins that another good synthetic? i.e. Mobile 1? Kawasaki certainly thinks it is.
IMHO no, Kaw oil is no better. I didn't have good luck with Mobil 1. But my current and last 2 bikes all like(d) Valvoline Full Synthetic. I use 10w40 in cooler weather, 20w50 in the heat of summer.

Words aren't children and there's nothing wrong with killing them to clarify a point or keep the peace.
post #5 of 21 (permalink) Old 08-01-2011, 11:32 AM
BTK Intermediate

Just changed to Royal Purple, went on a 900 weekend trip my fan did not come on as much in 90+ degrees.
Bike ran great..

VN900

2009 Vulcan 900 Classic LT
Cobra FI2000 Fuel Management
OEM Light Bar
Scootworks front Pully
post #6 of 21 (permalink) Old 08-01-2011, 02:07 PM
Ride long and prosper
BTK Expert

Rotella T6. Without question (according to almost every blind study I have seen), the best. Runs alot quieter. MC specific oils made sense 40 years ago when all auto oils where made for big block slow turners. Now they are just charging you for a legacy (kinda like HD prices (not hating just ain't paying the asking)). It does take some thinking though. Rotella T6 has some statement that sounds about like Energy saving or something but if you check it's rateing circle, they have gone to the trouble to get the stuff certified for MC use officially.

Vulkin' - The Logical Bike.
07 VN900 Custom Gone DarkSide
post #7 of 21 (permalink) Old 08-01-2011, 04:28 PM
Crazy as a sh!thouse rat.
BTK Expert

I've run Rotella T6 synthetic in this 1600 for 15,000 miles. Nothing to report except solid performance, smooth shifting, and money saved. Life is good.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

www.assistancelist.com
Help your fellow bikers, and they'll help you.
post #8 of 21 (permalink) Old 08-01-2011, 09:56 PM
Strat Man ... ok, PRS too
BTK Expert

I am a Rotella T6 Debbie Downer - bummer. This is my first go around with it and I noticed more shifting issues. Not MANY, but more. I have had it in for 3k - a trip to Charlotte through all the hot spots of dragon, blueridge, cherohala and a few weekend trips around here. I don't think I will use it again.

For my bike and smoother shifting for me, I found two oils that work well - again - for me. Mobile 1 racing 4T 10W 40 (whatever it's called) or the Rotella 15W 40 for Dino oil. Both of these work great on my bike.

I would not use high priced Kawi or any other company branded oil. Likely, whoever they buy it from, will sell you same stuff with their own logo on it for cheaper.

'06 Concours
1600 Classic-Gone
PGR# 192992
Ride Reports Blog:
http://leroylanes.blogspot.com
post #9 of 21 (permalink) Old 08-01-2011, 11:34 PM
VN 900 Classtom
BTK Expert

A few years ago there was a thread here about Kawi oils stating somtimes Kawi doesn't the same oil companyh to label their oil so at points you may get good oil while others the contract goes to a lesser company.

Having said that I now use and have been using for the last lets say 7k miles Rotella 15-40 with great results. Previously I tried from Valvoline to Mobil 1 and to be honest the bike runs smoother with the Rotella. I don't believe our bikes rev as high as some of the high performance super sport bikes to really take full advantage of the higher cost full synthetic. Give it a shot and if you don't like it you only waisted $10 dollars. I do highly recommend the use of a motorcycle oil filter as they're designed for the more sensative pressure a motorcycle produces.

Gitty Up & Go!
2007 VN900 Custom

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
post #10 of 21 (permalink) Old 08-02-2011, 12:04 AM
2007 900 Classic
Extreme Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by rbentnail View Post
IMHO no, Kaw oil is no better. I didn't have good luck with Mobil 1. But my current and last 2 bikes all like(d) Valvoline Full Synthetic. I use 10w40 in cooler weather, 20w50 in the heat of summer.
I agree, I have tried nearly all the oils mentioned and the Valvoline works best for me and my bike. It is really a personal preference and if you are using a high quality oil of the proper grade and you change it often you will be fine.

Degenerate Gambler

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page