Best Intake Vulcan 800, Dragtron - Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 21 (permalink) Old 08-24-2011, 01:05 PM Thread Starter
BTK Beginner

Best Intake Vulcan 800, Dragtron

Anyone tried the dragtron or similar intakes, like hypercharger or hi five/ I am looking for an intake to blow me away when I switch er up. How much better are these than grampsizing(was pondering it) and how did it feel when you hopped on for the first time? I've already bought a 165, 50 and needle.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 21 (permalink) Old 08-24-2011, 11:34 PM
Rebel Rider
BTK Expert

Re: Best Intake Vulcan 800, Dragtron

No difference in performance from any of the intake mods. You can only use so much air. Just depends on what you prefer as far as looks. The best looking IMO is the Okie Air System, which is basically the dragtron setup. Just do it, and you will definately feel a difference.

bluestringer
2005 Vulcan 1500 Classic FI
V&H Longshots
VROC #13910
GAVROC #159
post #3 of 21 (permalink) Old 08-25-2011, 09:02 AM Thread Starter
BTK Beginner

It sounds to me like the grampsizing will do the same thing as an aftermarket intake minus the looks//

post #4 of 21 (permalink) Old 08-27-2011, 01:48 PM
Pump Hopper
BTK Expert

i have the dragtron on my 800A since 2007, Russian Wolf's recommendations
with the 50 165 HD jets Dno 106 needle = runs great lots of POWAH

Dave
95 Vulcan 800A-"Pump Hopper"
post #5 of 21 (permalink) Old 08-28-2011, 08:36 AM
BTK Expert

Blue is right. I went from a Scooterized intake to a Hypercharger and there is no notable difference in performance, just looks. Go with whatever your wallet can get you and you'll be happy either way.

98 Vulcan 800a (always changing)
post #6 of 21 (permalink) Old 08-28-2011, 10:36 AM
Pump Hopper
BTK Expert

I agree, I first did the grampsized stock box, but preferred the smaller look of the dragtron.
I have a grampsized with a K&N filter for sale.

Dave
post #7 of 21 (permalink) Old 03-29-2013, 11:52 PM

I've got a 99 800a I'm planning on grampsizing. I've picked up a extra factory intake off e-bay. Just wondering if the needle and jets in kury jet kit will work as well as pro needle. Has anyone used these? Suggestions on what works best?
post #8 of 21 (permalink) Old 03-30-2013, 07:02 AM
Pump Hopper
BTK Expert

Rejetting is only required if you let that sucker breathe by modifing the stock air box or replaced with a aftermarket air box.
I followed Russ Wolf recommendations for performance mods in 2007 and glad I did. My 800 Runs Tuff.
rejetting your Vulcan 800 you will need:
165 main jet
50 slow jet
Fuel Needle (aftermarket adjustable)
Needle Holder
The stock needle is not adjustable and can,t be used.
I got my needle DNO 106 from DynoJet kit 2147 but the jets were not the right size and cost almost $80. High price for just a needle. There is a better deal
The needle,165 main jet, shim washers, E-Clip,can be bought from the Kuryakyn.com it is Jet Kit #8562 for Vulcan 800
All for $36.99. This kit has everything needed for rejetting EXCEPT
the 50 slow jet and the needle holder which can be bought at a Harley dealership. I paid less than $15 for the two. you can get the 50 jet and others here
Jets R Us KAWASAKI VN800 VULCAN
Getting rid of the EPA stuff, rejetting, changing intake and exhaust is well worth the time and money,
here is the set up russian Wolf recommends: Both the Dynajet and the Factory Pro needles for the 800 are the same length as the OEM needle; the real difference lies in the different taper of the aftermarket needles. The aftermarket needles flow fuel much more smoothly than the OEM needle and are, of course, adjustable. What you want is to put the e-clip in the third groove from the top of the needle. The shims (washers) are for more precise height adjustment; their thickness is just under half the distance between the grooves. One under/one over is the standard starting point that's been proven out over time; however, as always, each engine/carb combination is unique, so obviously fine-tuning is necessary. BTW, the one over the e-clip is to put just a slight weight on the needle to prevent possible "needle float" during high-speed runs or abrupt throttle chops.

Dave
post #9 of 21 (permalink) Old 03-30-2013, 10:14 AM

I bought stock air box to modify for grampsizing wanted to keep 1 stock intake in case wanted to put back stock.I just dident want to pay 60$ just for needle if kury kit will work just as well (for 1/2 the price) plus get main jet. My bike already has k&n filter and 2 1/2 in Mac exhaust debaffled on it so I got exhaust and filter covered. Just wondering if kury kit work as well as dyno pro needle. Some one said if kury needle is used put clip in second notch from top. What is a needle holder?
post #10 of 21 (permalink) Old 03-31-2013, 08:22 PM
Pump Hopper
BTK Expert

I'm probably didn use the right name, I guess it's called needle jet holder

Dave

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page