Barons 34 Tooth Front Pulley for Vulcan 900 - Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 17 (permalink) Old 07-23-2012, 10:30 PM Thread Starter

Barons 34 Tooth Front Pulley for Vulcan 900

Has anyone tried the Barons 34 tooth front pulley on their 900?
Does anyone know why the SW pulley has such a problem with squealing? Is it because it is aluminum? It seems that this is the major problem for the 900, and in some cases it is so bad that people have been know to take it off and return to the stock pulley for no other reason. I understand that the Barons pulley is steel, and I'm wondering if it also has a squealing issue. Or any other issues for that matter.
I am planning to install an "overdrive" pulley on my '06 Classic, and would really like to have some input regarding the pro's and con's of these two choices. I would be grateful for any insight that would help me choose between the SW and the Barons.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 17 (permalink) Old 07-24-2012, 12:40 PM
Still having fun!
BTK Expert

Re: Barons 34 Tooth Front Pulley for Vulcan 900

I have the Scootworks - the only time it makes noise is when the belt is out of alignment. Once it's aligned, no noise. I've only had to do that once in 4 years. The pulley makes a fairly significant difference, too. I've never heard of the Barons so can't make any comments. I do recommend the SW if you're looking to reduce the high rev buzzing on the 900.

Pastor Mike
Enjoying God's creation on my VN 900 Classic LT
post #3 of 17 (permalink) Old 07-24-2012, 01:16 PM
BTK Expert

What he ^^^ said!

2008 Vulcan 900 LT Red/Black Cobra Highway bars, Cobra Light Bar, Scootsworks Front Pulley.

post #4 of 17 (permalink) Old 07-24-2012, 09:10 PM
BTK Expert

Mine would squeak if the adjustment was off. I did buy it used so it sort of had a grove "set" in it where the belt wanted to run. I think I remember reading somewhere that the first couple years they used a different hardness of alum. If the Barrons is steel I kind of think that might solve the issue.

2007 VN 900 Classic (gone but not forgoten) Red 2009 Royal Star Venture
post #5 of 17 (permalink) Old 07-31-2012, 12:51 AM

Just installed the Barons 34 tooth pulley and completed a 700 mile trip thru Colorado. Rode 2 up plus luggage and performance was great, handled the mountain passes with no problem. Bike seems much smoother particularly at cruising speeds of 65-70. I agree with prior comment, this is how bike should be geared from Mfg.
No belt squeaking issues
post #6 of 17 (permalink) Old 08-22-2012, 07:46 PM

Any installation tips or instructions to pass along? I'm going to purchase the Baron's and I understand they don't come with any instructions. I'm concerned about getting the belt tension correct.
post #7 of 17 (permalink) Old 08-22-2012, 11:14 PM

found install picktures from a scootworks thread call scootworks install front pulley. here was the link they gave that gave great pictures of the process.

http://s154.photobucket.com/albums...or vulcan900/
post #8 of 17 (permalink) Old 08-23-2012, 10:50 PM

Thanks for the reply but the link to pics isn't correct - could I get you to re-post link?
post #9 of 17 (permalink) Old 08-24-2012, 12:40 PM
Love to Ride!
BTK Expert

Does anyone know if there are any performance differences between the Barons and the Scootworks pulleys? I've installed the scootworks front pulley on my 900 and haven't had any belt noise or sqealing at all. I was just wondering what the reduction was for the Barons. I think Scootworks front pulley is something like a 5.9 % reduction?

2006 Vulcan 900 LT
Carpe Diem
post #10 of 17 (permalink) Old 08-24-2012, 11:04 PM
BTK Intermediate

I do not have the 900 but my wife does. We ride all over the country 44 of 48 states so far and never on a trailer. Most at highway speeds of 80 to 85 indicated (77 actual and highest was 103 indicated outside of Birmingham). She rides at those speeds all day long, longest day was 700 miles.. I just dont get what you are complaining about. The 900 rides all day long plus at Hwy + speeds with no problem. But if you want to waste your money for a 4.9% change which includes a reduction in the lower end performance...go for it. For us our money is too hard to come by to change a more than credible bike.

JUst my 2 cents...Kumite

Cordova, Tn
HD Road Glide & VTX 1300 C (mine)
VN 900 LT (wife's)
Iron Butt Member Since 9-07

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page