VN900D Whirring Noise - Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 28 (permalink) Old 01-05-2017, 09:41 AM Thread Starter

VN900D Whirring Noise

Hi everyone - new member here with an older Vulcan 900 Classic LT that is giving me some issues.

First off a little background - Bike is an 09 model with just over 68k miles on it. I've been very good with maintenance and except for the earlier periods I've always run synthetic oil.

About 2 months ago, getting off the interstate I noticed the bike was making a very loud noise and it was coming from the left side of the engine. Specifically in the transmission area right behind the belt pulley. I wound up having to replace all the bearings and a couple of the gears in order to correct the problem. While it did correct most of the issue, I noticed I have a strange whirring noise coming from the same area now that I hadn't noticed prior to this. I'm not saying it wasn't there, it could have been masked by other noise...

I was able to locate 2 You Tube videos that others have posted which point out the exact sound I'm hearing. If anyone here has had any experience with this problem and has found out what was causing it, I would be very interested in knowing

Here's the links to the 2 vids:

It's the higher pitched WHIRRRRRRRRRR that I am referring to and it is much louder in person. Some things I've read indicate that it's possibly the stator/rotor BUT that is in the forward section in front of the side stand. When I put my ear up to the cover, the sound is very loud in the area to the rear of the stand.

The bike has been very good so far and I am fully expecting wear and tear on an engine with over 68,000 miles on it. Just not sure how much $$$ I want to continue putting into this.

Sal.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 28 (permalink) Old 01-05-2017, 02:25 PM
BTK Expert

Do a charging system voltage check.
post #3 of 28 (permalink) Old 01-06-2017, 08:33 AM Thread Starter

Charging system seems to be working ok. I forget the exact voltage now since I checked it about 2 weeks ago, but it was up 14-15 volts when I got the bike revved up. Everything looked clean on the stator when the engine was pulled.

post #4 of 28 (permalink) Old 01-06-2017, 11:49 AM
BTK Expert

Why was the engine pulled?
post #5 of 28 (permalink) Old 01-06-2017, 02:29 PM Thread Starter

See the original post - I had bad bearings and gears that had to be changed out.
post #6 of 28 (permalink) Old 01-06-2017, 03:21 PM
BTK Expert

Disconnect the reg/rect and see if noise goes away.
post #7 of 28 (permalink) Old 01-08-2017, 07:38 AM Thread Starter

Not sure I understand how disconnecting an electrical component will stop a mechanical sound. The rotor (if that's what's causing the noise) will still be turning. Disconnecting will just stop the electrical system from charging.

The other thing is the noise is coming from the back end of the block - just behind the belt pulley, something we missed in the transmission I suppose..... I'm guessing it might be the bearing in the case itself, it's about the only moving part that wasn't changed out. I just need to verify if that bearing spins when the bike is in neutral.
post #8 of 28 (permalink) Old 01-08-2017, 08:22 AM
Actually, EX-CarGuy
BTK Expert

GSaldiveri,

You haven't been on this forum long, but if you were you would see that sfair has a great deal of knowledge and unselfishly helps other members resolve issues with their bikes. I've enjoyed reading his posts as he pursues member's problems over many, many days until the problem is resolved. He is very methodical, and always has reason behind his suggestions.

When the stator went on my 900 the sound seemed to come from behind the rear cylinder; like it was coming from the empty space, and even my dealership techs, whom I completely trust, couldn't identify the source, even stating it didn't sound like a stator issue. Though I didn't request help from sfair, it ultimately turned out to be the stator after my attempts to resolve other seemingly likely sources. I wish I had posted the problem and had sfair to help. While the problem may not be the stator he most likely will come to the proper conclusion.

Go for the ride, not the destination!
2014 Kawasaki Nomad ABS
Patriot Guard Rider
USN 1971-75
post #9 of 28 (permalink) Old 01-08-2017, 10:57 AM

the sond is stator or rectifier sure, hi change mine next month.$ 246.00 CD RM stator.good luck!

Last edited by bigdan 1; 01-08-2017 at 11:03 AM.
post #10 of 28 (permalink) Old 01-08-2017, 07:12 PM
BTK Expert

Unplugging the reg/rect removes the electrical load from the stator and if it is the fault, the noise will go away.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page