Sometimes doesn't go into N - Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 03-05-2017, 10:51 PM Thread Starter

Sometimes doesn't go into N

Hello All,

I have an intermittent issue with my 2009 VN900 Classic LT. Bottom line is, sometimes it won't go into N. When this occurs, I just keep pressing down on the shift to go all the way down. Then I try to come back up to N and nothing. Sometimes I can get it after a few tries, other times no, I have to shut the bike off in gear. Then when I want to start it again, I an get it into N.

Anyone else experience this?

Resolution?

Thoughts?

Thanks in advance.

Ed
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 03-06-2017, 11:00 AM
BTK Expert

1. How many miles on it?
2. How long have you owned?
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 03-06-2017, 11:17 AM Thread Starter

12K miles on it, owned it since 2011. It's done this as long as I have owned it, but as I said, intermittently.

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 03-06-2017, 11:34 AM
BTK Expert

Mine (1500) will do the same on occasion if I am not careful.
Has to do with the positive neutral finder in combination with a wet clutch that likes to drag a little.
If you get into the habit of selecting the gear that you want (neutral or first) before the bike rolls to a stop, everything will work well.
One thing you do not want to do is stomp or otherwise force the shift as this will result in a bent shift fork and that is a pile of trouble you do not want!
Sometimes, when it is stuck at a stop sign, just rocking the bike back and forth while attempting to shift will allow the shift into neutral.
Trying to make ANY shift except neutral to first while the bike is stationary is almost impossible.
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 03-06-2017, 12:32 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by sfair View Post
If you get into the habit of selecting the gear that you want (neutral or first) before the bike rolls to a stop, everything will work well.
I will work on that. Thanks, and it's nice to know that this isn't just me!
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 03-07-2017, 11:05 AM
Stoopit Moderator
ULTIMATE Forum Supporter

Nah, not just you. I had a 1500 Classic that was a little finicky sometimes. Over time I learned that I couldn't pull the clutch in and shift several gears at a time. I now have the habit of clutch lever pull, shift, ease lever out a little, repeat. If at a stop & wanting to go from 1st to N, I would have to (as mentioned) rock the bike a little or hold the front brake and ease the lever out just a little to shift to N. But the lever way caused a horrible grind/clunk when shifting so I quickly quit doing that. I also (as mentioned) found it's best to decide what gear you want to be in when stopped and to get there while still moving using the lever/shift/ease out/repeat method.

Words aren't children and there's nothing wrong with killing them to clarify a point or keep the peace.
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 03-07-2017, 05:42 PM
Politicians' Nightmare
BTK Expert

My VN900 Classic LT had the same problem. The cure was to play with the adjustable linkage which connects the foot shifter with the transmission spline shaft and adjust it until the mechanism worked properly. It took a few attempts and road tests to get it right.

Jim
'07 Vulcan 900 Classic LT

Jesus is Lord

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page