Vulcan 800 running on one cylinder - Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums
 1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 32 (permalink) Old 03-25-2017, 10:39 AM Thread Starter

Vulcan 800 running on one cylinder

Hey, I've got a 95 Vulcan 800 had it for one year and no issues all last summer, last winter it was winterized and put in proper warm storage. I came to take it out for the first time the other day, fired first time, had to leave it on choke for a while to warm up as its still quite cold 6/7 degrees C, topped up the fuel with fresh fuel took it for a ride and its started running on only one cylinder (front) there is pressure coming from the exhaust but it isnt heating up at all and a tiny bit of white smoke came out but stopped. Now im the first to admit being my first bike i dont really know a great deal about these types of engines and carbs etc so im a bit stuck, thought i'd ask here trying to get it to a garage.

Thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 32 (permalink) Old 03-25-2017, 11:03 AM
BTK Expert

Check the rear plug for being carbon fouled.

If it is, post back.
post #3 of 32 (permalink) Old 03-25-2017, 11:06 AM
BTK Intermediate

so the rear cylinder spark plug not working? could be the rear spark plug cap at the elbow broken inside

post #4 of 32 (permalink) Old 03-25-2017, 11:13 AM Thread Starter

So far all i know is that there is pressure from the exhaust from the rear cylinder, the pipe doesnt get hot at all and neither does the cylinder itself, whereas the front gets very hot straight away, and when revving you can clearly hear its only the front thats working, as i said unfortunately im not that mechanically minded yet ( i am hoping to learn with this bike, it seems to have thrown me at the deep end this year :P ) and i also dont have a decent set of tools which i was looking at buying next month...
post #5 of 32 (permalink) Old 03-25-2017, 12:12 PM
BTK Intermediate

Do you have a splug wrench? If so pull the back spark plug, snap it back in the plug wire and hold the other end of the plug against a bare metal (dont hole the plug with ur bare hands) then turn over the engine to see if the plug is firing. While ur at it take a pic of the the plug and post it so someone can give u a better educated guess about whats goin on

Jimmy
1979 kz1000 ltd mkii
dyna s ignition, dyna 3 ohm coils, solid copper core plugs, full rewire.
post #6 of 32 (permalink) Old 03-25-2017, 12:31 PM Thread Starter

Ill hopefully get my hands on some tools in the next few days so ill give that a try then and take it from there.
Thanks for the replies
post #7 of 32 (permalink) Old 03-25-2017, 12:47 PM
BTK Intermediate

I hope it helps

Jimmy
1979 kz1000 ltd mkii
post #8 of 32 (permalink) Old 03-25-2017, 05:15 PM
BTK Intermediate

be careful removing the spark plug cap, those rubber elbows can tear off
post #9 of 32 (permalink) Old 03-28-2017, 11:16 AM Thread Starter

ok so i changed both plugs, the rear was fouled and the front was fine, bike ran on both cylinders but i was getting a lot of white smoke out of the rear cylinder exhaust and also out of the gasket, to which i found it was leaking oil, checked and the oil had been topped up too much when it was winterized (which was done by a garage) so drained some oil to the amount the manual recommends (showing half on the window) and no more smoke or leaking. However after taking it for a ride it wont idle off choke, even when warm and is backfiring out the exhaust and filter but when on full throttle it pulls like a train with some occasional popping but pulling away in any gear is a nightmare and after a 10 min ride wont even idle on choke, just cuts out....
post #10 of 32 (permalink) Old 03-28-2017, 12:03 PM
BTK Intermediate

u probably need to clean the carb/fuel injection system real good now

Jimmy
1979 kz1000 ltd mkii

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page