Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

800/1500 Drifter

425K views 1K replies 195 participants last post by  chuckyj95 
#1 ·
Thought it was time we had a topic thread for the boys on the Drifters.

Welcome guys, sorry we didn't do this earlier.

Reactions: jia12
#77 ·
Spring is Declared

This morning I got up at 4:00 am and installed the battery, air cleaner and seat. It was 29° and I rode 1 mile to my sister in laws house to keep the Drifter there.
She fired up on the first attempt no problem but she did want time to warm up can't blame her for that..
Why? well I live on a dirt road that when it is above freezing these days the road is like a swamp and in the early morning it is hard enough to get out the road.
Tomorrow it is predicited to be high 50's low 60's that means a ride to the local Kawasaki shop to pick the parts I have ordered. Last weekend I installed the new highway bars and I have the fever now...

#79 ·
My ride after a long winter

Today the weather good. I took my ride out of the garage and snaped a few pics to share the work I've done on it this winter.
- Hard Krome pipes.
- Kawi Light Bar
- National Cycle N2220 shield
- Cobra Engine guard
- Kuryakyn Long Horn Footpegs
Things you can't see:
- Stage 1 Dyno jet kit
- K&N Air Filter

Happy to take any suggestions about any other easy to do cool upgrades, etc.

#80 ·
yea, i rode about 150 miles yesterday to woodstock(virginia) and back. all interstate. got it washed and detailed last night. got it up on the lift and i couldnt believe the ammount of brake dust on my rear wheel. i had to scrub it to get it off.but its all nice and shiny now. the people who had the bike before me(i think im the 4th owner) didnt take very good care of the bike. everytime i clean it, i always find more rust spots. the pipe mounts were all rusted and corroted so i had the guys at the shop strip them and paint them black to match while they did the fuel line work(recall). it looks great. the pipes are starting to rust in a few places as well. i found bubbles on the handle bars last night and used some cleaning polish which seemed to help, but its still visible. might just end up repainting everything.

#84 ·
Pipe

Thanks That is the stock color and those are still the stock pipes I want to change them out but the co pilot (wife) is concerned about the noise... Funny thing is that she can hardly hear anything until I turn the radio on then it's too loud???

#86 ·
how loud

No the stock pipes aren't too loud for her, I should say I'm talking about the radio in the car or house. Not on the bike sorry..
I'm just complaining
The pipes are stock but after the thunder air kit it did get a nice tone. the air being sucked in makes it roar a little she didn't comment on that?
maybe one day I will sneak some pipes on.

#90 ·
Coodeville said:
Where can I find some chrome accesoriesforthe Drifter? Things like fender tips, etc. I was at the dealer yesterday and noticed that lots of stuff is available for Yamaha. What about Kawasaki?

goto kawasaki.com

they have a bunch of stuff for the drifer... they call it fire and steel

I cant wait to get the saddle bags :)

Kenny

#91 ·
Mercury said:
goto kawasaki.com

they have a bunch of stuff for the drifer... they call it fire and steel

I cant wait to get the saddle bags :)

Kenny
thats a good tip Kenny. F&S stuff is nice and remember that as a member of this forum, you receive a discount on genuine Kawasaki parts from Beartooth Kawasaki. I bought all my F&S stuff from Jim and Lauri, great customer service.

#92 ·
i recently got a discount coupon for use with genuine kawasaki accessories.

they gave me this because the recal for my kawasaki priare ATV took a while.

I think it was for 20% ill have to find it and use it for saddle bags!

KEnny

#94 ·
try this cody...

http://www.kawasaki.com/Default.asp...sp&intCatalogID=1&CatalogTypeID=3&Jump=Search

then hit motorcycles, then hit your make and model machine and year and it will show what they have

note: theres somebody on ebay that sells kawasaki stuff... i never had a problem with him but hes cheaper.

once you find the item you want... for example "Kawasaki light bar for drifter"

what ever the description is... type it in ebay and it should come up

or get it right from kawasaki pay a little more but it will be taken care of hopefully if there is ever a problem

You know i really wish there were pictures of the maverick II saddle bags on kawasakis website!

KEnny

#95 ·
Should I buy one?

Looking for some buying advice...I have an opportunity to buy a really low mileage 2001 800 Drifter. I currently ride a Concours so I guess I am a Kawboy at heart (I like their bikes). I won't be giving up the Concours as I will keep that for my long distance touring bike, but would probably commute on the Drifter. I only have read good things on this forum about the Drifter...so, what is the real word from you guys on my proposed purchase? :wink:

#96 ·
how many miles are we talking?

these bikes will easily last 30,000 miles if they are taken care of

check the oil check the bike out well

so you know i paid $4600 for my year 2000 drifter it was in immaculate shape and had 1400 miles on it

And i personally feel what i paid was high

Kenny

#99 ·
zuzuman03 said:
well my battery died on me last night. looks like its time for a new one.
funny you say that, speaking to whistle clean, he said his battery in his 1500 was dead yesterday too.

reminder, batteries can and will die without notice, they last 2-3 years on average. if your running a battery 3 years or older, you might want to consider a new one before you get stranded.

#100 ·
yea, we'll i did something stupid and it died. i stoped by a friends house and was there for about an hour before i realised i left my key in the bike and i came out and the lights were barley on so i turned it off and went to the liquor store w/ hima and came back and went to leave and it wouldnt start, so we pulled the seat and had to charge it off his car and it took a while but i got it started. im gona try and add some water tonight and charge it cause i really dont want to pay $100 for a new battery right now. i will eventually, but i dont have it right now. stupid college.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.