VN900 dropping coolant in overflow - Page 2 - Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #11 of 24 (permalink) Old 05-17-2017, 11:23 AM
BTK Expert

If the hoses are soft, then it obviously not pressure you hear when releasing the cap.
You said that you either have:

1. No coke sound and coolant level normal, or
2. Coke sound and high coolant level.

I submit that the sound you are hearing is a vacuum because it has failed to draw coolant from tank (high level)
when engine cooled.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 24 (permalink) Old 05-18-2017, 04:35 AM Thread Starter
BTK Expert

Quote:
Originally Posted by sfair View Post
If the hoses are soft, then it obviously not pressure you hear when releasing the cap.
You said that you either have:

1. No coke sound and coolant level normal, or
2. Coke sound and high coolant level.

I submit that the sound you are hearing is a vacuum because it has failed to draw coolant from tank (high level)
when engine cooled.
I am confused now, if it's vacuum then the system is functioning properly, but why it doesn't pull the coolant from the overflow back then? Return hose is clear of obstructions because if I blow into the overflow bottle i can push coolant back to the radiator (found it easier that removing tank to refill it).
post #13 of 24 (permalink) Old 05-18-2017, 09:39 AM
BTK Expert

Are you saying that when the e3ngine is cold and the coolant level is high in the recovery tank, then you can blow into the recovery tank and the coolant will go back into the system?

post #14 of 24 (permalink) Old 05-19-2017, 11:46 AM Thread Starter
BTK Expert

Yes, I can push coolant in without problem, but I do remove the radiator cap. Didn't try that with cap on, tho.
post #15 of 24 (permalink) Old 05-19-2017, 12:53 PM
BTK Expert

If the coolant level in the recovery tank is at the hot level when the engine is cold, then:

1. Coolant cannot be pulled from tank because of a blockage somewhere in that path and there would be a vacuum in the system, or
2. There is a leak somewhere else in the system and when the engine cools, it pulls air in instead of coolant from the tank. If the radiator neck is deformed (or cap) so that the large gasket on the cap will not seal against neck, then the engine will pull air there instead of from tank. That is just one example.
post #16 of 24 (permalink) Old 05-20-2017, 04:32 PM Thread Starter
BTK Expert

I will check radiator neck as soon as the rain stops(no garage, working in front of the house unfortunately). There are no visible leaks anywhere, if that is important somehow, tho.

Debaffled VN900 - annoying my neighbours since 2008
post #17 of 24 (permalink) Old 05-23-2017, 08:56 AM Thread Starter
BTK Expert

Ok, I have checked radiator neck for deformations ( used piece of glass, flattest thing I had) and everything is ok. I noticed something yesterday, bu at this point I don't know if it's really symptom of something or I am just being paranoid and seeing stuff that isn't there, but I kinda feel that my engine is not working as smooth as before while idling. You know when you have something for a long time ( i had this bike from new , 200 and notice if something is off, I have a feeling that it just idles rougher, but just barely noticeable. And also, one of the exhaust pipes (upper, from rear cyl) sounds like it , I don't know better description, pops here and there. It is really hard to describe, I tried to capture it on video but of course, it will not do it then, and I don't trust myself ATM, but maybe it is something that could steer you in right direction?

post #18 of 24 (permalink) Old 05-23-2017, 11:15 AM
BTK Expert

I always believe it when an owner says "something is off".
The owner/rider is most sensitive to differences that others cannot detect.

Post a picture of the spark plugs.
post #19 of 24 (permalink) Old 05-27-2017, 06:35 AM Thread Starter
BTK Expert

Here are the pics of the plugs:

Rear: Front:

My plugs are always on the cleaner side, but AFAIK VN is running little leaner from the factory. Here are the pics I took with borescope, you can see tops of the pistons:
Front:
Rear:

As you can see that center circle ( i suppose it's from the plug firing) is much lighter, "cleaner" on the rear.

Last edited by ShinobiU; 05-27-2017 at 06:37 AM.
post #20 of 24 (permalink) Old 05-27-2017, 09:12 AM
BTK Expert

1. The plugs seem to look not that bad, BUT I would replace them. There have been reports of NGK plugs failing, particularly in 900's for some reason, giving the symptoms you describe.
2. I would do a cooling system pressure check.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page