96 VN800B Coil problem - Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 2 (permalink) Old 05-18-2017, 01:47 PM Thread Starter

96 VN800B Coil problem

This all started last year...I rode the bike to work about 40 miles and 8 hours later starting it up to head home, it didn't sound correct. I proceed down the rode a bit to find out what was going on and couldn't really get the bike up over 30 or so without a backfire. I determined the rear coil to be bad based on the heat leaving the exhaust. Purchased a new coil (cheap aftermarket), installed it, and the bike ran great...for a 100 miles or so. It got caught in the rain and the bike again began the problem again. It sat for about 3 weeks and I went to put it in storage and the bike ran fantastic. So I stored the bike and when back a couple times through winter and the bike started great and ran great. When I went to get the bike out of storage, it was missing again in the rear. It's easy to determine as the sound is odd and the rear exhaust isn't hot like the front. I decided to buy a better sealed coil, but I still seem to be having the problem.

FYI..just before all of this occurred, I rebuilt the petcock, carb, new plugs and oil. IMO, everything is good except I'm not getting the fire out of the coil.

Ideas or suggestions?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 2 (permalink) Old 06-08-2017, 12:26 AM

I'm having a similar problem with my vulcan, rear cylinder just isn't going off. Did you pull the spark plug and ground it against the frame? Are you sure there's no spark?

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page