Ltd 750 - Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 05-27-2017, 05:34 PM Thread Starter

Ltd 750

I have a Kawi LTD 750 from 1983 and the rear brake is sticking. The pedal actually sticks down and will not pop back up unless I pull it up by hand. I was curious if anyone had any insight to this issue. If WD40 would just help or if there could be an underlying problem?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 05-27-2017, 05:53 PM
Vintage Motor Mechanic!
BTK Expert

You will have better luck in the Vintage section as your bike is not generally considered a cruiser. You might also identify as to whether the bike is the twin LTD model or the 4 cylinder LTD model as both were sold in 1983. If the rear brake isn't returning, you may have to remove the brake pedal and clean the metal shaft and inside of the pedal that inserts onto the shaft. Really not a great place to grease or lube as this attracts grit and dirt. Ensure the return spring is installed properly as it is fairly stout and will generally return the pedal even if the shaft and pedal are gritty. Is the rear brake a disk or drum? If it is a drum, some cleaning there may be needed.

wiredgeorge
Texas Hill Country
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 05-27-2017, 09:55 PM
BTK Expert

I would spray the brake pedal shaft with Liquid wrench penetrating spray lubricant & let it sit overnight. then spray some more & try to work it free. Then do as wiredgeorge says & take it apart for a good cleaning. I would grease the shaft with brake caliper lubricant as the stuff pretty much stays put, repels water & doesn't attract dirt & grit. You don't need to gob it on. just use a small amount & wipe off any excess. I use Permatex ultra disk brake lube in the little packets.

1981 KZ650-CSR. Competition, Sports & Road.

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 05-29-2017, 03:42 PM
BTK Beginner

What kind of brake s you have disk or drum

Sent from my SM-J327P using Tapatalk
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 05-30-2017, 08:59 AM
BTK Expert

Whatever it is, he should refurbish the entire brake, even if the problem is the brake pedal shaft.

Drum brake --- Rear brake shoes. For a drum brake, If you don't know the age of the rear brake shoes, replace them. The adhesive that binds the linings to the shoes can fail over time, so a lining can separate from a shoe, then get jammed between the shoe & drum, locking the rear wheel. It happened to me when rolling the bike of the center stand, so it does happen. I was lucky that it happened in the driveway. It would be a real drag for the rear wheel to lock at speed & far from home. But I'm guessing the op has a rear disk brake which could have other potential problems.

1981 KZ650-CSR. Competition, Sports & Road.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page