tail light shorted and now bike won't start - Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 2 (permalink) Old 05-31-2017, 10:30 PM Thread Starter

tail light shorted and now bike won't start

Hi there, I'm a newbie to the forum, so I'd like to say hi! I just picked up a '85 454 ltd bobber this summer and I'm having an electrical issue with it. The tail light recently fell off on a long ride (custom fender by previous owners weren't professionally done) and it cut the two wires. The two cut wires to the rear tail light touched the fender and I assume there was a short. Now the bike won't start/ ignition key turned no lights. So I started looking for a fuse box, didn't find one. Researched that the thing by my horn is a fuse box but the three fuses in there look fine. I need help with this I think. I pulled the seat off and the electricals looks really rewired (again maybe it was a amateur wire tuck). I looked at every item the wires lead to, there seems to be a:

turn signal operating unit
reserve lighting device
some sort of cylindrical relay
an igniter box
and some dead ends...

Nothing seems to be a fuse as I know it. I will update as soon as I get a voltmeter to try and discern more. Right now it's stranded at my friends so all I could do was snap these pictures

I have tried jump starting the bike - nothing happened, no power to ignition even

I read there is a main fuse that people recommend replacing, under the seat, but after removing the seat I can't seem to find anything! Does any of this make sense to those with some wiring experience? Thanks for your time if you read through all that!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 2 (permalink) Old 06-01-2017, 01:35 PM
BTK Expert

I would check the battery first to make certain it is good. I would also charge it with a good smart charger & do a load test. also, make sure the battery connections are good.

Next check the fuses. Glass fuses can look good, but still be bad as a conductor can separate from an end cap, so you should test them for continuity or go ahead & get new. amazon.com might be the best place. the auto parts stores around here don't have a very good selection of glass fuses.

In the diagrams at Partzilla, the 85 EN450 only seems to have the round fuse box. it's kind of a weird. There isn't a fuse at the starter switch/solenoid. many Kawasaki models after around 1990 or so had a main blade at the starter solenoid, so I would check there as a just in case the po installed a new stater switch w blade fuse.

Fuses. If you get new fuses, you'd need a 30A AGC & two 10A AGX. AGC = 30mm or 1-1/4". AGX = 25mm or 1".

1981 KZ650-CSR. Competition, Sports & Road.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page