Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

'08 Vulcan 500LTD Dying At Highway Speeds

748 views 5 replies 4 participants last post by  ArcticWolf 
#1 ·
I bought this bike about a month ago, and I started having some problems with it on my ride to work today.

I rode it on the back roads to my wife's work to drop her off (max speed of 55mph) and then I hopped on the freeway. As I was going, I got about two miles and it died on me. There was no surge, sputter, nothing. It was going fine, and then it was as if the kill switch was hit. I was going about 80mph when it died. I pulled off to the shoulder and tried starting it again. the engine would turn but not start. I'd gone about 100 miles since my last fuel up, so I thought there was a slight possibility I was low on fuel and needed to put it on the reserve tank (even though there was no sputtering before it died), so I did that. After trying to start it for about a minute (I didn't use the choke or give it gas) it started up and sounded fine. I got back up to highway speeds, and about a mile down the road the same thing happened - it just died. I definitely had gas, so I knew that wasn't the problem. all of the lights remained on while I coasted to the shoulder again.

So here's what I know-
-There is gas in the tank
-There is still power (lights are on, starter works, etc.)
-There is no lurching or sputtering before it dies
-It wasn't (I'm like, 99.99% sure) overheating. Outside temp was about 75 and the temp light didn't come on (has come on before, so unless it broke in the last week, I don't think it's broken)

Any help would be great!! Thanks!

See less See more
#3 ·
Check to see if there is an in-line fuel filter. Many people install them thinking it is a good idea. What they don't realize is those filters are designed to operate with a pressurized fuel system, not gravity flow. If there is one, remove it and replace with the plain piece of fuel line as Kawasaki intended.

I speak from experience here. I had exactly the same issue you are having about 2 years ago. Removed the fuel filter and problem went away. Never re-occurred.

Hope this helps!!!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.