Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

Where is the drain plug and refill plug on the secondary gear oil

3K views 10 replies 2 participants last post by  Rod84zn700 
#1 ·
I have a 1984 Kawasaki zn700ltd A1 I am trying to change the secondary gear oil cannot find a drain or refill plug anywhere if someone could please help me and let me know where it is located or how to accomplish this task please let me know thank you

#3 ·
Howdy. I'm not that familiar with the shaft drive models, but the oil filler hole is the big plug on the side of the final drive & the oil drain plug is probably the small bolt facing downward. see eb link.

If you need a manual, search eb for KZ750 shaft manual (most common). or ZN700 manual.
There are usually a number of them listed & often times a few for cheap.
Also, for parts diagrams Partzilla is probably the easiest to use.

eb --- ZN700 final drive

#5 ·
I did have it on the side stand but like I said I can't find the drain hole there's a 10mm nut that I take off underneath the plastic cap and nothing's coming out and I can't find the drain hole to fill it so I took a syringe and filled it through that 10mm nut hole

#7 · (Edited)
#8 ·
I made a new reply to one of your other topics -->> Where is the drain plug

I would get the Kawasaki service manaul. But in the mean time. In the following link I didn't see a ZN700 manual, but there is a GTR 1000 shaft drive manual (ZG1000 Concours). The shaft drive on it is probably very similar. I bet other shaft drives are similar as well, even Hondas. The details will be different, but the basic operation & maintenance is probably the same or nearly so. When you find a manual & click on it, on the manual page click the word "Download" that is directly under the "Preview:" box. various manualz

#9 ·
Thats a good i dear I'll try not tomorrow have to take the whole secondary gearbox off anyways because it's leaking like so I'm going to take it off and Gasket it up so I'm assuming it all just leaked out just got the bike like a month ago so just going through everything on it

#10 ·
In the diagrams at Partzilla there are several shims on the final drive assy & the shims come in various thicknesses. One of them looks like a squarish gasket & a couple look kind of like washers. The shims are probably important for the gears to mesh properly. So I would get the Kawasaki service manual. see your ZN700 topic.

#11 ·
I think it's missing the gaskets were those shims go take it off today and find out ill let you know how it gos i have done the oil pan and all the wiring now just that secondary gearbox has to get done been leaking ever since I filled it up about to get the kids up and go get er done !!! Thank martin for all the help and ideas....... I appreciate it a lot

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.