Scootworks pulley for Vulcan 900 - too heavy? - Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 105 (permalink) Old 05-23-2008, 04:07 PM Thread Starter
BTK Beginner

Scootworks pulley for Vulcan 900 - too heavy?

Hi,

I know that there are few people here who installed Scootworks' front pulley on Vulcan 900s.
I just received mine and I was surprised how heavy this thing is - felt like 20 pounds at least.
One question for thos who use this pulley - any problems due to its weight?
I see that the original one has some metal removed in the middle to reduce weight; any feedback on mounting something so heavy on the transmission? Should I try to find a shop and drill some wholes in this thing? It seems it is made out of solid metal.

Regards,
Somerset
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 105 (permalink) Old 05-23-2008, 04:09 PM
Missy Peregrym's #1 fan!
Forum Supporter

Send a message via AIM to c_law23 Send a message via Yahoo to c_law23
it definitely heavy....I'm not sure that i follow you on the weight thing...not sure that it makes that much difference...

Many ppl have installed it and havent heard any weight related problems...

Chris
Black 2011 1700 Vaquero
Black 2007 900 Custom (sold)
post #3 of 105 (permalink) Old 05-23-2008, 04:24 PM Thread Starter
BTK Beginner

I assume that all who installed one, got their original pulleys back.
Were they that heavy as well?
As I said, from the photos from Scootworks intructions, the original pulley seems machined to reduce weight.
My logic is that putting 10 extra pounds on that axel is probably not going to improve things and in general can shorten the transmission life or even break the axel when I hit some pothole.

Am I being too paranoid?

S.

post #4 of 105 (permalink) Old 05-23-2008, 04:33 PM
BTK Intermediate

No thats actually a good observation. The pulley for the 900's isn't that old so that might be something to let scootworks know about. That could just be something they overlooked when building and designing that pulley. You should weigh the two and find the difference. Having it machined out wouldn't hurt anything, except maybe a return to scootworks. Most places don't like returned parts that are altered.
post #5 of 105 (permalink) Old 05-23-2008, 05:16 PM Thread Starter
BTK Beginner

I just send them an e-mail, we'll see what they are going to say.

S.
post #6 of 105 (permalink) Old 05-23-2008, 05:41 PM
Banned
BTK Expert

Quote:
Originally Posted by Okie Marine View Post
No thats actually a good observation. The pulley for the 900's isn't that old so that might be something to let scootworks know about. That could just be something they overlooked when building and designing that pulley. You should weigh the two and find the difference. Having it machined out wouldn't hurt anything, except maybe a return to scootworks. Most places don't like returned parts that are altered.
if ya have it machined, id think you would want to make sure its balanced, having something out of balance at high rpms is gonna cause alot of vibration and more than likely ruin your wheel bearings
post #7 of 105 (permalink) Old 05-23-2008, 07:20 PM
BTK Beginner

Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by Somerset View Post
I assume that all who installed one, got their original pulleys back.
Were they that heavy as well?
As I said, from the photos from Scootworks intructions, the original pulley seems machined to reduce weight.
My logic is that putting 10 extra pounds on that axel is probably not going to improve things and in general can shorten the transmission life or even break the axel when I hit some pothole.

Am I being too paranoid?

S.
Great Question,....as Kawasaki designed the 900 exactly with the original front pulley in mind, and the motor turning over the correct amount of revs to suit the pulley....wonder what long term damage "if any?" maybe done to the motor.....I doubt if scootworks Put in as much money or time to do full test as what Kawasaki did when designing the 900?....Just my opinion
post #8 of 105 (permalink) Old 05-23-2008, 08:32 PM
Cigar aficionado
BTK Intermediate

dang, I was gettin' ready to order one, but now I need to wait to find out about this...!

I just thought of something else, does installing the front pulley from scootworks void your warranty or extended warranty?
post #9 of 105 (permalink) Old 05-23-2008, 08:40 PM Thread Starter
BTK Beginner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Airbrain View Post
Great Question,....as Kawasaki designed the 900 exactly with the original front pulley in mind, and the motor turning over the correct amount of revs to suit the pulley....wonder what long term damage "if any?" maybe done to the motor.....I doubt if scootworks Put in as much money or time to do full test as what Kawasaki did when designing the 900?....Just my opinion
The revs change do not bother me that much, after all this is what I am trying to change and people do this to chain bikes as well.
But the extra weight is bothering me a lot as an engineer.

S.
post #10 of 105 (permalink) Old 05-23-2008, 10:45 PM
BTK Beginner

[QUOTE=Somerset;1124847]The revs change do not bother me that much, after all this is what I am trying to change and people do this to chain bikes as well.
But the extra weight is bothering me a lot as an engineer.

S.[/QUOT

The weight thing would be a real issue for me, I run Larger tyres On my 4x4 and Ive had to Change the wheel Bearings due to the added stress {over time} to the Bearings ......so It would be Interesting to see what will happen after awhile to the shaft bearing that the pulley sits on

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page