GPZ will not start - Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old 06-11-2011, 07:14 PM Thread Starter

GPZ will not start

Hi, Please help!!! I recently checked/adjusted valve clearances. When doing this i noticed that timing chain was way out (must have jumped at some point) and that turning the engine by hand made the pistons hit the valves. I removed the cam shafts and re-aligned the timing marks as per manual (In with head on intake, Ex on exhaust etc.) with the #2 cylinder at TDC.

Now engine will not start. Spark and fuel is present. compression feels okay but i have no gauge to test accurately. at first i though cams must be 180 degrees out, so swapped them around with same outcome, so have put them back to how they were with new timing settings.

I cannot think of anything else that could be wrong.

Thanks to anyone who can give help.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old 06-12-2011, 07:23 AM
Sick Puppy
BTK Expert

Re: GPZ will not start

Was this bike running before you fixed it?

Rick

Darkside 2009 900 Custom 'Candy Burnt Orange'
post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old 06-12-2011, 09:09 AM Thread Starter

Hi, Yes it was running. Was quite rough but did start each time with no issues.
post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old 06-12-2011, 09:30 AM
Sick Puppy
BTK Expert

Found these direction on cam setup:

Installing the cams . Place the crankshaft on the timing mark for #1 & #4 . fish the cam chain out ot the case . You may have to rock the crankshaft back and forth to get all the chain up . Disable the camchain tensioner by removing the 17mm cover from the tensioner . Slip the chain over the camshaft and place the exhaust camshaft in the head . Take all the tension you can out of the chain and place it over the sprocket . The exhaust arrow will point at the front cam cover parting line and #4 exhaust lobe will be pointing rearwards . Verify that the crankshaft it still at top dead center #1 & #4 .
Install the intake cam. slip the chain over the camshaft and place the intake camshaft in the head . Take all the tension you can out of the chain and place it over the sprocket .

Now the fun begins . Because of the camchain slipper in the cover there has to be a specific amount of slack in the chain between the sprockets . Counting from the front parting line to the rear parting line it is 44 pins .

All these conditions must be met .
Crankshaft at top dead center #1 & #4.
Exhaust arrow pointed at the forward parting line.
Intake arrow pointed at the rearward parting line.
The notches in the right hand end of the camshafts must be pointed directly forward and rearward .
The cam lobes for #4 intake and exhaust must be pointed at each other .
There must be 44 pins counted between the forward parting line and the rear parting line.
And all this with the cam caps installed and torqued and the tensioner reassembled .

Rick

post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old 06-13-2011, 06:07 AM Thread Starter

Ricksza, Many thanks for quick reply on cam timing. The info is very detailed and pretty much what i followed from Haynes Manual. The GPZ 500 is a parallel twin, your guide looks like it is for a in-line 4. Info is still relevant, and has been followed.

I now think that the firing from the CDI is out, i have checked sensor on the flywheel and looks all okay.

I will keep looking. Just noticed i can post pics, will add some later when i am at home...

Cheers.
post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old 06-13-2011, 07:18 AM
Sick Puppy
BTK Expert

They were directions from GPZ1000, since I didn't know what size your bike was. I would try to get a look at a Factory Manual to be sure that the Haynes is correct.

It doesn't make sense that the engine would be running with the cam timing off and now being reset properly that it won't start.

Rick

post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old 06-13-2011, 10:00 AM Thread Starter

Have checked the factory manual from (http://www.repairmanualclub.com quite a handy site) and it also shows the same markings as per haynes for crank positioned @ C and Cylinder is TDC with cams pointing up, Ex and In alligned with head and 24 pins between punch marks ontop of cams....

Thanks again. I will post here any developments that result in it starting.
post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old 06-14-2011, 09:36 PM
BTK Expert

Are you setting your alignment with the cam chain tensioner removed? Are you turning the motor in the correct direction? Have you tried pressing the valve cover (which has a rubbing block in it) down on the motor and then rechecking your cam timing?

It's not how fast you go, it's how little you slow.
post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old 06-15-2011, 05:33 AM Thread Starter

Hi StormDragon, cam Tensioner is removed, and cams are set with chain tight on back side of engine, torqued down then the cahin tensioner inserted and set. I am turning the engine in a clockwise direction. I even went to my local kawa dealer, and there factory manual showed timing is taken from #2 cylinder at TDC marked -c on fly wheel (some bikes have i have had were timed from -T mark to TDC on #1 cylinder. Have a crazy notion of doing this but cannot see how 2-3 manuals can all be wrong with no response on internet......

What do you mean by rubbing block? top of cam cahin has a guard along its length so i cannot see how something can push into it. Will check when i get home from work.

I am now thinking that the flywheel is not aligned correctly......Cannot see this as case, because i have checked TDC on both cylinders with a screwdriver through sparkplug hole and it looks okay...
post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old 06-15-2011, 10:38 AM
BTK Expert

Unless the manual says differently, the cam chain should be tight at the front of the motor. Slack at the back, where the tensioner goes.

If the flywheel were aligned incorrectly, (impossible without buggering up the crankshaft) the bike wouldn't have been running before you started working on it.

Remember: When you hear hoofbeats, think horses. Not zebras.

It's not how fast you go, it's how little you slow.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page