Oil change ninja 400r - Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums
 1Likes
  • 1 Post By martin-csr

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old 08-09-2016, 01:19 AM Thread Starter

Oil change ninja 400r

Hey this might be a noob question but,

recently bought a used kawasaki ninja 400r with no manual and cant find one online for some reason. I heard its similar to the 650r?

The oil change light turned on at a 4km, im thinking probably old dirty oil? Or probably the oils been sitting idle for a long time (2011 bike with less than 4km when I bought it and when I stand the bike upright, the oil level seems right against the level glass). Just making sure what oil to use and about how much I should use for an oil change? Also where I could get a oil filter from (from a kawasaki dealership?) and if its possible just to take the filter, wash it, and then put it back?

The Oil i found at Canadian Tire is the Motormaster Formula 1 - motorcycle oil sae 10w-40 4 stroke (946ml)

And the dealership should have the right filter im guessing?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 08-09-2016, 02:25 AM Thread Starter

4000km*
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 08-09-2016, 05:52 PM
BTK Expert

What year is the bike & what is its model designation? EX400? and what country are you in?

1981 KZ650-CSR. Competition, Sports & Road.

post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 08-10-2016, 03:13 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by martin-csr View Post
What year is the bike & what is its model designation? EX400? and what country are you in?

2011, ex400. Im in Canada.
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 08-11-2016, 01:23 PM
BTK Expert

Wikipedia indicates that the 400R is closely related to the ER650.
Your 400R may be an ER400 or ER-4. I don't know. ???
Some new mc riders don't realize that there's an owner's manual hidden on the bike somewhere.
Or there may be informational stickers, perhaps under the seat or behind a side cover.

I would guess a 10W-40 motorcycle oil. As for the capacity, if you can't locate the om or it isn't listed on one of the stickers, check the engine or clutch cover near the oil level gauge sight glass, as the capacity in liters may be embossed in a cover. That would be the full capacity after changing the oil filter. I would install a new oil filter & probably a new air filter.

Mental_Ghost likes this.

post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 08-12-2016, 12:00 AM Thread Starter

Recently bought it off someone, there is a manual but it the english section have been ripped off. I think its because my oil is getting dark/black. But does the light turn on because it senses that?
post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 08-12-2016, 07:26 AM
BTK Intermediate

for your oil filter, go to an auto parts store and order a few Wix 51358 filters, they are a spin-on type for your Kawasaki ninja bike, and for oil buy a jug (4 litres) of Shell Rotella T 15w40 diesel oil, and for oil capacity, you will need to do some online searching for service manuals for your bike, don't go by the site glass, get the correct oil capacity with oil filter change , the specs come in 3 options, dry capacity, oil change with filter and oil change without filter, get the specs for oil change with filter from either a sticker stamped on your bike somewhere or else the service manual and put that exact amount it and don't use the site glass because you can be off the correct oil capacity using the site glass. Oh and when putting on the wix filter rub a bit of oil around the rubber ring seal to lube it and put the filter on hand tight as you can then use a filter wrench and give the filter exactly one-quarter (1/4) turn more with the wrench, no more no less, make sure it's not more than 1/4 turn with the wrench past your hand tight. and don't pre-fill the filter with oil when installing, the specs in the service manual are with oil filter change without the filter being pre-filled.
post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 08-12-2016, 05:45 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by wsim View Post
for your oil filter, go to an auto parts store and order a few Wix 51358 filters, they are a spin-on type for your Kawasaki ninja bike, and for oil buy a jug (4 litres) of Shell Rotella T 15w40 diesel oil, and for oil capacity, you will need to do some online searching for service manuals for your bike, don't go by the site glass, get the correct oil capacity with oil filter change , the specs come in 3 options, dry capacity, oil change with filter and oil change without filter, get the specs for oil change with filter from either a sticker stamped on your bike somewhere or else the service manual and put that exact amount it and don't use the site glass because you can be off the correct oil capacity using the site glass. Oh and when putting on the wix filter rub a bit of oil around the rubber ring seal to lube it and put the filter on hand tight as you can then use a filter wrench and give the filter exactly one-quarter (1/4) turn more with the wrench, no more no less, make sure it's not more than 1/4 turn with the wrench past your hand tight. and don't pre-fill the filter with oil when installing, the specs in the service manual are with oil filter change without the filter being pre-filled.
I hope im reading it right but i think the 650 manual says 10w-40?

Ill keep that in mind with the oil filter.

But does anyone know besides oil pressure and oil level, why the oil light comes on?

Last edited by Mental_Ghost; 08-12-2016 at 05:49 PM.
post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old 08-15-2016, 04:40 PM
BTK Expert

How many miles are on the bike & what is it's condition?
The oil pressure switch wire could be chaffed & grounding to the engine or frame.
Related to the oil pressure, there could be an oil pump screen that's clogged.
I would change the oil & filter first, then check if the oil light still comes on.

post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old 08-17-2016, 10:37 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by martin-csr View Post
How many miles are on the bike & what is it's condition?
The oil pressure switch wire could be chaffed & grounding to the engine or frame.
Related to the oil pressure, there could be an oil pump screen that's clogged.
I would change the oil & filter first, then check if the oil light still comes on.

4000km, how do i know if the "oil pump screen" is clogged?

Yea i just bought my stuff, going to change oil and filter hopefully that turns the light off, but i heard the light dosent come on for that reason tho?

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page