Transmission or ??? - Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums
 3Likes
  • 1 Post By sfair
  • 1 Post By sfair
  • 1 Post By Jimray23

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old 06-18-2017, 09:07 AM Thread Starter

Transmission or ???

Hello I am experiencing an odd issue. I have a 2008 Vulcan 900 classic just over 30,000 miles with Cobra slashdown pipes and a Power Commander III USB. Well this bike shifts just fine through all the gears but while already in gear when I try and pass the engine starts accelerating and the RPM's increase but then all of a sudden it stops accelerating and the RPM'S increase with no more speed. I thought it was the Power Commander because I've got my idle speed messed up but the dude from DynoJet says it has to be a transmission problem or clutch slippage. WHAT'S YOUR OPINION???
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 06-18-2017, 09:38 AM
BTK Intermediate

Sounds like clutch slippage. What kind of oil are you using? Motorcycle oil or car oil

--------------------------------------------------
Jim
I really don't see why people ask for advice if their not going to take the advice given.
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 06-18-2017, 12:41 PM
BTK Expert

1. Check oil type as suggested above. 2. Adjust clutch cable as per Kawasaki owners manual.

post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 06-18-2017, 12:41 PM Thread Starter

Car oil and in fact when I changed it about two months ago I overfilled it and ran it overfilled until I realized I had read the amount needed wrong. Just a couple very short rides though. So your obviously thinking I need to change the oil/brand etc?
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 06-18-2017, 01:18 PM Thread Starter

followup

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eric Stewart View Post
Car oil and in fact when I changed it about two months ago I overfilled it and ran it overfilled until I realized I had read the amount needed wrong. Just a couple very short rides though. So your obviously thinking I need to change the oil/brand etc?
So I used a new Turkey baster to remove about 1/2 quart of oil.
post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 06-18-2017, 11:09 PM
BTK Expert

Use motorcycle specific oil as outlined in your owners manual.
Car oil is a no-no.
Change ASAP.
Jim823 likes this.
post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 06-19-2017, 10:11 AM
Stoopit Moderator
ULTIMATE Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by sfair View Post
Use motorcycle specific oil as outlined in your owners manual.
Car oil is a no-no.
Change ASAP.
In your opinion.

I concur- clutch slip. Check clutch adjustment and change brand/weight of oil.

I've used car oil in bikes since the 70s. It works fine BUT some bikes don't like some oils. So OP, specifically, what brand of what weight are you using? I've had bikes that hated Shell Rotella, others that hated Mobil 1, and still others that hated other brands.

One oil that my 1500 Classic really liked was Valvoline Semi-Synthetic. Not the motorcycle-specific stuff, that was crap in that bike, just plain ol' Valvoline Durablend, the kind for cars. Best oil I ever used in that bike. My current bike loves the stuff too. 98,xxx miles and running like a scalded dog......

Words aren't children and there's nothing wrong with killing them to clarify a point or keep the peace.
post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 06-19-2017, 10:46 AM
BTK Expert

My "opinion" is use what Kawasaki specifies. Cannot go wrong with that and you avoid any wondering "is it working, is it not?"
"If it works for me, it should work for you" can lead one following that theory into trouble.
My over the internet recommendation for the general public is follow what the manufacturer asks you to do.
Jim823 likes this.

Last edited by sfair; 06-19-2017 at 10:55 AM.
post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old 06-19-2017, 01:17 PM
BTK Intermediate

Some car oils do have friction modifiers in them. They will make a clutch slip. I use rotella 15/40. Have for over 5 years. Brand does matter when dealing with wet clutches. I would change the oil and adjust the clutch internals and try it. You might be ok.

--------------------------------------------------
Jim
I really don't see why people ask for advice if their not going to take the advice given.
Jim823 likes this.
post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old 06-21-2017, 09:01 AM

Garage
Oil used in motorcycles with wet clutches need to meet JASO MA specs. most automotive oils do not.

Choosing the right motorbike oil: What does JASO and JASO MA2 mean? - White Dog's Motorcycle Blog

Friends don't let friends do stupid things (alone)

Jim King

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page