Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

Vulcan 800 Leaking Gas

25K views 9 replies 6 participants last post by  kawasakirocky 
#1 ·
Hey everyone, I am fairly new to owning a motorcycle, so I am looking for as much advice as I can get. Unfortunately, a week into owning it, I have developed a fairly substantial gas leak. It's so strong, that you can smell the gas as you walk up. The majority of it seems to be coming out of the exhaust pipes. The air filter housing had a fair amount of gas in it, which the filter had soaked up. Apparently the bike was sitting at the dealership for over two months without running and the gas might have been left open. I have attached a picture of the bike where the gas is dripping from. Please let me know what you think. Thanks!!!

Attachments

See less See more
#2 ·
Hello Mike,
Don't worry, not a biggie, the bike looks fairly new (btw sweet pipes!) so more then likely, it is not a worn float valve.
1st check what position is the fuel tap? Keep it on the "ON" or "RES" position so the gas can only flow when the engine runs and generates the vacuum to open the valve.
If it is on the "ON/RES" position and still leaking then u should replace the gasket/o-ring in the tap (been there done that - about 1-2 hrs of fun).
But if u lucky then ur tap was on the "RPI" position and leak is just caused by some gunk sticking to the float valve.
If this is the case, put some Seafoam (1/3 rd of the can) in the gas tank and go for a long ride.
If this won't fix the leak then maybe it is a stuck float valve - try to tap on the side of the carb, might help bounce back the valve if that won't work then u'll have to remove and disassemble the carb - if u need I have pix and directions.
TC,
Attila

#4 ·
Thanks for the advice and for noticing the pipes... I love them! I'm gonna start by cleaning out the carb, I think and probably taking a look at the fuel tap. Again, thank you!!!
The tap is the simplest check... in the PRI position it WILL leak! Many people believe this to be PRIMARY, when in fact it's PRIME and should be used for starting the bike if it runs completely out of fuel and needs prime...

Otherwise, please let us know what it is! Your 800 (beutiful) will prove to be bulletproof like the rest I'm sure! Welcome to the forum!

#5 ·
Your bike is leaking gas for 2 possible reasons.

1. Your fueltap's innards have reached the end of their service limits which means a rebuild kit is needed. If the tap fails, it fails in such a way that fuel will flow when it normally would not, without the help of vacuum from the engine. If it's leaking while sitting, and the tap is in the "prime" setting than you need to redo the carb. float seat and seal.

2. If the bike's fuel tap is in the "prime" setting then gas has flowed into the carb. but the float has not done it's job of stopping the flow of fuel. As a result fuel can flow in two directions. Out the carb as shown in your picture or into the engine filling up a cylinder with fuel. Do not start the bike if you suspect fuel has gone into one of the bike's cyclinders. Your oil may also be contaminated with fuel as well.

IMO, as my bike has a history of this condition is rebuild the fuel tap and remove, clean and inspect the critical parts of the carb. that act against fuel flow.

#7 ·
Hey Joe... Yes, the diaphragm in the petcock could be shot too... it was on my bike right before I got it and was replaced (the whole petcock). The hose comes off the bottom and runs between the cylinders and if it's running down that hose, that's where the fuel is going to collect and drip.

I don't quite get the correlation between the gas cap grease and it stopping leaking, that is likely coincidence... but the two most likely culprits are the petcock and the carb float... you'll be the best one to figure out which direction it's coming from!

Welcome aboard!!! Do yo have pics posted yet?!

#8 ·
I have to resize some photos
and thanks for the direction
I'll look at it this weekend. I was reading on this form of hopping accuring on the vulcons, thats when your crusing around forty or so and the front end kinda hops a little, just enough to be noticable. mine does that only sometimes. does your?

#9 ·
I have to resize some photos
and thanks for the direction
I'll look at it this weekend. I was reading on this form of hopping accuring on the vulcons, thats when your crusing around forty or so and the front end kinda hops a little, just enough to be noticable. mine does that only sometimes. does your?
Any hopping that I've had has been relatively minor, but I have a bunch or recent, intimate experience with how a chain stretches unevenly... and I think it's entirely possible that a worn chain could make a bike lurch. Imagine, in the right gear at the right speed, a chain tightening-loosening-tightening and regular intervals... that could easily make a bike lurch!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.