Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

New Subsection for New Riders - Welcome aboard

66K views 195 replies 124 participants last post by  171985 
#1 ·
Hey all, we have added a new subsection dedicated to new riders who are just getting started and have lots of questions and concerns. From what bike to ride to what gear to purchase and anything in between including MSF training and other tips and techinques can all be good topics of discussion.

#182 ·
Did anyone say questions? Well guys, my name is Greg and I have a 1996 Kz 1000p. Got it about six months ago. The clutch started slipping so I got friction plates, springs, new bolts and washers and put it together. I used valvoline Ht racing oil and now it really slips. When cold you have to put the bike into gear release the clutch and rev the engine. After about 30 sec it will start to engage, maybe get you up to 30 MPH. As the bike warms up eventually the clutch starts to grab but not like it should. Any tips or suggestions would be greatly appreciated.
Greg:oops:

Attachments

#7 ·
Welcome new riders!

This new forum is dedicated to the new rider, where they can ask a question and not feel intimidated in any way. We have asked the mods to pay special attention to this forum in keeping a kind, caring, helpful tone in this section at all times. Thanks Spok for putting this together and thanks to the members for helping our up and coming riders.

Kawi

#10 ·
This is a great addition & should prove to be a lot of help to new riders.

New riders, keep in mind that everyone riding a bike was new at one time & like the old saying goes, there's no such thing as a stupid question, only stupid answers. Please ask away & enjoy learning from the experience of others! Experienced riders, remember you were new too.

We all need to thank Skewterdewd for such a great idea!! Nice job dewd!!

Ride safe!! :biggrin: 8)

#11 ·
This is a great addition & should prove to be a lot of help to new riders.

New riders, keep in mind that everyone riding a bike was new at one time & like the old saying goes, there's no such thing as a stupid question, only stupid answers. Please ask away & enjoy learning from the experience of others! Experienced riders, remember you were new too.

We all need to thank Skewterdewd for such a great idea!! Nice job dewd!!

Ride safe!! :biggrin: 8)
Yes it was a great idea Skewterdewd and Thank you very much!

#16 ·
A spot just for us newbies...or as toy story would say "whoooooooooh *finger point*" thanks this will help everyone in not only cleaning up questions in the other places but help be able to find answers to ones already asked. I dunno if anyone has done this but i might after my test tomorrow but has anyone looked at possibly just making a sticky with a bunch of Q&A that has already been asked from other posts all grouped up into one? if someone has already started this let me know i'll help if not i'll see about how much i can find. Thanks again Spok for this section.

#17 ·
Great idea! Now maybe, because the newbies to bikes are also newbies to the Forum, you could post up some basic instructions on how to use the search feature. Seems that's where most of the flaming came from- the same questions over and over and...

#18 ·
lol ya i have to admit the layout of this place was different than others i used and it took me a min to figure it all out when i first came here lol. Also make sure you make not that pics are required here to help keep the noise down too. lol

#20 ·
So far I am gathering as much information as I can before I begin my MSF course in September.

I regret not signing up earlier since summer is coming around the corner.

A lot of friends are pressuring me to get the 600cc and above..but I have my eyes set on a Kawasaki ninja 250r 2008...I figured for $3500...a brand new bike that looks good..is not a bad deal for a beginner's bike.

From what I've read on it...it's an excellent bike.

#21 ·
^ From I've read it is a good machine. Welcome to the world of motorcycling and you're doing yourself many favors by learning much before you actually hit the road. You are also doing a wise thing by not jumping right onto a factory hot rod. Those bikes will still be out there when your skills are ready for them.

Good luck!

#22 ·
^ From I've read it is a good machine. Welcome to the world of motorcycling and you're doing yourself many favors by learning much before you actually hit the road. You are also doing a wise thing by not jumping right onto a factory hot rod. Those bikes will still be out there when your skills are ready for them.

Good luck!
Thanks!

I am the type of person who has to be 110% assured before jumping into doing something big.

After watching several youtube videos in regards with motorcycle stunts...I am not planning on getting hurt of some sort...in particular the "How to dump your girlfriend motorcycle" on youtube.

Falling off the bike with no gear is very unforgiving. I have some small scars on me...and those things bother the living crap out of me...=P

#23 ·
So far I am gathering as much information as I can before I begin my MSF course in September.

I regret not signing up earlier since summer is coming around the corner.

A lot of friends are pressuring me to get the 600cc and above..but I have my eyes set on a Kawasaki ninja 250r 2008...I figured for $3500...a brand new bike that looks good..is not a bad deal for a beginner's bike.

Numba1 B Series, usually a person has a hard time going wrong following / listening to their heart... What are the reasons your friends suggest a 600cc+ bike? First bike, many people would suggest buy used. Once you have more experience, then buy based on your experience. Best of luck to you.

#25 ·

Welcome Numba1 B. Love your whole concept of starting off with a smaller (but still great from what I read) bike, then moving up. :smile:

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.