Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

1984 Kawasaki ZN1100 LTD handlebars (stock)

1K views 2 replies 3 participants last post by  martin-csr 
#1 ·
Hi Guys,

I want to change the stock handlebars on the bike. want to go to the straight bar and was wondering if there are any suggestions or recommendations or even if this is a good idea. what are the sizes for the bars and the grips should be?

#2 ·
You will need 7/8" bars. As far as "straight bars", with the laid back ergos I personally would have to stretch forward to reach straight bars and get a back ache. We probably are built different so that won't help. The bars on the LTD models really are miserable for me and I would change bars as well. They are called "buckhorn" bars and the ends are at a poor angle and are more for looks than comfort generally. Sit on your bike with your arms and hands where you would like the grips to be. Measure rise and pullback and the angle that the grips will fit on the bars. That is the bar you want. Most bars being sold list these things. I recently owned a GS1000GL which has similar handlebar shape as the LTD you own and put on "daytona" style bars. They worked pretty well but needed a bit more rise and I had some old 1 1/2" risers I put on (basically just spacers that set the bars UP this far) and the bars worked well for me. You can also measure and buy bars that will fit what you measure. Measure how far your steering head mount bolts are offset and ensure your new bars are wide enough in that area so they will fit. These are similar to the bars I mean:

7/8" Daytona Street Handlebars ZRX SR Touring Sport Chrome FZ-1 AHRMA Tracker | eBay

#3 ·
I installed Emgo European bars from Z1Enterprises.com onto my 81 KZ650. the stock handlebars are similar to the ZN. The master cylinder mount is angled for Ltd type bars, so with more level bars the mc now sits at an angle. With superbike bars or drag bars, it would be angled more than I'd want. If I ever get around to replacing the mc, I'll probably get emgo superbike bars. Emgo bars are pretty good quality & cheap. Z1Enterprises.com.

Control cables n stuff. After changing the bars, the upper brake line & cables will probably be too long. The brakes lines may be due for replacement anyway, so if you replace the upper line, replace the lower lines as well. A handy way to figure out the needed length of the upper line is to disconnect the brake joint there at the forks, lower it until the brake line looks right, then measure the overage & subtract the overage.

For the control cables you could try disconnecting one end, then figure out the overage. I would remove the cables completely so you can measure the amount of slack. A little too much slack on the new cables may be okay, but if there's not enough, the new cables might not work. don't ask how I know. doh. ....

slack = amount of end-to-end movement of the inner cable. Z1Enterprises lists the measurements of their cables.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.