2001 KE100 wiring - Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums
 2Likes
  • 1 Post By dphree
  • 1 Post By 1981GPZ550

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old 07-17-2017, 06:02 PM Thread Starter

2001 KE100 wiring

hey all,

Yet another KE100 electric thread. I've read through a lot of similar threads, but not very many with substantial answers. Recently acquired a 2001 KE100 with 400 miles on it. I replaced the battery, & am getting ~6 volts between the terminals with a voltmeter. All the electrical equipment works, but the horn clicks instead of honking, and the turn signals come on but don't blink. when I check the horn with the voltmeter, i was getting about 3 volts when it was activated. is this normal? any insight on why blinkers are actually blinking?

Thank you.
Pyzik likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 07-19-2017, 08:28 AM

Following. Wish you luck. I'm having issues and am figuring out the best way to deal with them as well.
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 08-19-2017, 11:34 PM
BTK Expert

There was a reason I hated those things. One, they were basically unchanged from 1974? to 2001/2 or whatever they quit making them. I think they FINALLY ditched the points ignition in the 1990's. Talk about outdated. Rotary valve too as I recall-again a 1970's design.

Weren't very many sold, meaning they weren't that popular, meaning finding information on them might prove difficult unless you can find a dedicated KE forum. I don't think there's enough activity on this site, let along with folks that know those bikes well enough to point you in the right direction.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 08-20-2017, 12:38 AM
BTK Expert

Sounds like the battery is dead/bad/or both.
Do a charging system voltage check.
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 03-02-2019, 01:52 AM

Blinkers donít flash

Check the fuse box for corrosion as well as the ground to the frame and other connections to the handle bar switches and bulb connectors- patiently work through each one until you uncover and correct the issue! Then light it up and rock and roll!
post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 03-02-2019, 09:10 AM
BTK Beginner

If the voltage measured at your battery terminals drops to 3 volts when the horn is activated, then you need a new battery.

If the battery voltage stays at 6 volts and the voltage at the horn is only 3 volts when you activate the horn, then the first think I would do is to test the horn with jumper wires straight from the battery. If horn sounds ok, then you know the problem is in the wiring.
post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 03-29-2019, 06:45 PM

KE 100 all issues

YouTube has complete library of videos on these bike! Kevin Bergeron is amazing as are some other notable experts sharing their info with these machines! Learn and enjoy my friends!
post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 03-29-2019, 06:53 PM

Take each bulb out and heck for corrosion and clean generously with electrical contact cleaner- open up the left handlebar blinker switch carefully and bathe it in electrical contact cleaner and move all switches open and closed to try and flush away corrosion dirt and rust! Also spray clean all ground wires to frame to ensure ground groun to frame- patiently disconnect and clean every wire connection you can find and gently but firmly reconnect then after cleaning- always double check your work! Good luck! Oh! Be certain your battery is fully charged and it helps to start your bike and let the charging system kick in too!
post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old 03-30-2019, 08:37 AM

A voltage test at the battery is of little use without a load test. Have the battery charged, surface charge removed and then load tested. It is very likely NG.
post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old 03-30-2019, 08:52 AM

I should have added that you may not find anyone with the equipment to load test that battery. They are cheap, I would start with a new one. If purchasing a new lead acid replacement be sure to question the vender to be sure they understand the fill charge process, this is especially important on small marginal batteries of this type. Many (most?) shops fill and then immediately charge the new battery, this will shorten the life and performance of the battery. The battery will have a manufacture date that should be compared to charging chart. The battery should be filled, let stand so the acid can be absorbed and then charged at a very low rate for the length of time specified on the chart. A vast number of batteries are charged to soon and at way to high a rate, customer never knows and thinks he has a new and good battery and then cant understand why it fails a year later. A properly filled, charged and maintained battery should last many years.
WFO-KZ likes this.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page