Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

Motorcycle Cops

3K views 43 replies 33 participants last post by  Kawasaki Noobie 
#1 ·
I'm new to the motorcycle world and the whole waving etiquette, but do other motorcyclists wave to police officers on motorcycles? And are there certain waves for different bike catagories? Like sportbikes, harleys, cruisers?
Thanks

#2 ·
I don't if there's an "etiquette" when it comes to LEO's. I never wave to them because they're on-the-job; instead, I look their way and nod politely to acknowledge them. There is no "category" of wave for type of bike; just choose a wave and stick with it.

#7 ·
Wave, just make sure you use two or more fingers. And as for proper ettiquette, all I recommend is to not be too over excited in waving. It's dangerous to the recipient! I was riding down the road a week ago and another rider was coming my way. I have a feeling he was pretty new and I was his first wave. I dropped the hand and he threw his left hand up in the air and started waving it like mad with a big smile!!! I just about dumped the bike I was laughing so hard!

#10 ·
I haven't encountered any in the 12 years I've lived in Connecticut and have only seen one in my home town.

However, if I see one and I'm on my bike, I'll certainly wave. Of course, if they don't wave back, it won't hurt my feelings. Some departments consider that not being in full control of the bike.

#12 ·
Wave, just make sure you use two or more fingers. And as for proper ettiquette, all I recommend is to not be too over excited in waving. It's dangerous to the recipient! I was riding down the road a week ago and another rider was coming my way. I have a feeling he was pretty new and I was his first wave. I dropped the hand and he threw is left hand up in the air and started waving it like mad! I just about dumped the bike I was laughing so hard!
Oh man that was funny, haha!

#20 ·
I always wave to cops. Why? Because it's funny to watch the bulk of 'em studiously ignore you.

That said however... (story)
I was coming back from getting gas in town one day. Went the Foresthill route, since the traffic's basically non-existent that way. As I rounded a curve at around 80(MPH), a bike passed me in the opposite direction, and the rider gave me a wave. The sheriff, gave me a wave. No finger wagging, no coming back after me, no nuthin. Wish I knew who it was. I owe him coffee. And a doughnut. ;)

#22 ·
That said however... (story)
I was coming back from getting gas in town one day. Went the Foresthill route, since the traffic's basically non-existent that way. As I rounded a curve at around 80(MPH), a bike passed me in the opposite direction, and the rider gave me a wave. The sheriff, gave me a wave. No finger wagging, no coming back after me, no nuthin. Wish I knew who it was. I owe him coffee. And a doughnut. ;)

Hahaha the beauty of motorcycling, isn't it. I'm a new rider, and technically not even a rider, just looking for my first bike and training course, but these are the kind of moments that make me appreciate the lifestyle so much...I mean If you were in a cage chance's are you'd be sittin on a nice ticket, no?:newyear:

#23 ·
I wave to em and they wave back. A lot of em cover the same territory so if they get to recognize you it may help in a future stop or if they radar you they may just motion ya on. Always helps to be friendly to the LEO's. Now if they stop you and start to give you the 3rd degree...clam up, plead the 5th and that you dont have to answer them without a lawyer present.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.