Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

How do choose the correct size of helmet?

2K views 7 replies 6 participants last post by  CTRider 
#1 ·
Ok..here goes my question...how do you know what helmet to choose when you are ordering by mail....I did what they told me and measured my head from the biggest point of your back to the top of your eyebrows....so I did and ordered a Large.

Got my scorpion 400 ex in large and I put it on and it seems a little tight and i get a puckered face when I am wearing it and my cheeks seems a little squeezed up.

In the instructions when I was ordering it..it says that a helmet suppose to be snuggled to your head and not loose....so my question is: how do I know the differance between snuggle and to tight? I am afraid that I will exchange it to XL and it will be to loose....

I know it might sound stupid....but I have always had half helmets or beanies..so I really dont know how these are suppose to fit....

Can you help me here????

#7 ·
I want to thank everyone for your help and to Ruh,
thank you for that link! it was great and it gave me alot of information that I needed...and for what I have learned from it...the helmet fits me just perfect....all I need is a little time to get adjusted to it, since I am used to the half helmets and beanies.

#8 ·
I want to thank everyone for your help and to Ruh,
thank you for that link! it was great and it gave me alot of information that I needed...and for what I have learned from it...the helmet fits me just perfect....all I need is a little time to get adjusted to it, since I am used to the half helmets and beanies.
Probably the biggest thing people either don't know or forget when they purchase a new helmet is that the pads will all compress slightly after a few days of wearing it. At that point, it will have pretty much conformed to your head and offer best comfort. It's like a stiff pair of leather boots. Of course, that doesn't count in the case of actual pressure points, like in the forehead or temples. That's a helmet shape issue, and won't get better. Just like shoes that cause sharp pains or chafe in places, it won't get better with time.

Now, over a longer period of time, not just the pads, but the protective, energy absorbing material will slowly compress, as well - usually over the course of a few years. This is why you need to replace a helmet every 4-5 years, even if it has never been in a wreck or dropped. It basically slowly loses it's ability to protect you like it could when it was new.

Think of it like a smoke detector or fire extinguisher: over time, the sensor get's dirtied up from burnt toast smoke, dust and dirt and won't sense smoke or fire as well. Likewise, the extinguisher must be recharged or replaced on a regular basis to ensure it will function when you need it.

Unless they have never been worn, helmets over 5 years old should be considered collectibles, not safety gear.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.