Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

New rider

1K views 11 replies 11 participants last post by  V2K_CCTX 
#1 ·
Hey guys, so I just got a bike yesterday. Never have ridden before...its a 2007 ninja 250r. I've heard its a good starter bike...only paid $1900 for it and it has just below 1900 miles. I have looked around on the internet and I am just trying to get some opinion, think it would be a good to take it on the highway. ill need to commute everyday and the highway speed limit is 55...I think it would be fine but what about anyone else? thanks a lot

#2 ·
Being a new rider, the freeway will probably scare the crap out of you, so definately get a lot of practice going 55+ before getting on one. You'll know when you are ready (and even then, it will still be a little scary). The 250 is a light bike, so the wind moves it around easily, especially the wind caused by 18-wheelers.

#5 ·
Hi Silverado,

Once you get used to the bike and control it properly, I think you'll find highway riding much less stressful than navigating the 'burbs and cities. There are SO many places where things can pop out at you (intersections, left turn lanes, side streets, etc) that highway riding is comparatively relaxing.

#7 ·
Welcome to the forum! Once you get used to freeway speed, riding there is generally safer than riding in town, where intersections, turnings, driveways, and lots of drivers who don't seem to know where they are going and so often make sudden moves make riding more dangerous. Safe and happy riding!

#8 ·
(Rides 2005 Honda Rebel 250)

I agree with txspike, the highway (50+ mph) is a bit relaxing on normal traffic hours (NOT RUSH HOUR!).

The worst time to ride is rush hour.... Well it's not all bad, You'll get to practice your clutch control and steady throttle.

Practice makes you better! I've gone 75mph on my Rebel (my first bike).

ALWAYS WATCH YOUR LANE POSITIONING and WHAT'S AHEAD OF YOU!

Crazy drivers out there! so We as Riders must outsmart them! heheh.

Take it easy!

#9 ·
I FINIALLY GET TO WELCOME ONE TO THE FORUM! sorry for caps! welcome, good luck , safe riding and enjoy, that ninja will do just fine as long as you make her do so. be safe , never ride over your head and always be one step ahead of the 4 wheelers. know what they will do before they know! enjoy the wind.... msf... do! never ride next to a cager that has no idea your there, put yourself "IN" their vision or stay out of their way, can't say that any other way...lesson i learned many times and i am new too! ride on.

#11 ·
welcome to the wonderful world of 2 wheels, again MSF class is a great class but remember it gets you prepared to ride in a parking lot, not on the interstate. Take your time, don't ride above your skill level. Practice what you learn at the MSF class around the neighborhood, then town, then working your way on up to the highway.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.