Shifting Gears Without Engaging The Clutch [Archive] - Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums

Shifting Gears Without Engaging The Clutch

bmann
09-19-2009, 11:33 PM
Hi I new to the world of motorcycles. I just purchased a 2003 zzr 250 with only 2000kms on it. It looks and runs great. I'm still getting used to the bike and I'm finding that after travelling in first gear, I am changing gears before I engage the clutch. (I've actually done this a hand full of times. Coincidentally the shifts are smooth and the bike is performing. Is this bad for the bike? I've seen this done in cars with manual transmissions. I think it's called power shifting???? Am I being to eager on the shift or is this something that I will get used to. Again I have only taken her out 3 times for about 20 minutes to try and get comfortable before I take my final road test. Thanks for any suggestions.

jenzx6r
09-20-2009, 01:36 AM
I know very little about the mechanics of bikes but someone told me several years back at a track day to try that and it does make the shifting smoother and the acceleration faster. It was my understanding that it was not bad for the bike but I defer that to someone who has more mechanical knowledge. I do however, still shift that way when I accelerate and up shift through gears quickly.

Bob Myers
09-20-2009, 11:11 AM
I'm sure you mean dis-engaging the clutch. If you do not engage, it won't move.

bmann
09-20-2009, 01:12 PM
My zzr 250 is going in for it's safety on Tuesday. I'll ask the mechanic when I'm there. Thanks for your input Cheers

Sabre2007/900
09-20-2009, 01:16 PM
Mr. Myeras is spot on. If you didn't engage the bike would not move at all. At any rate, You can indeed shift as you describe. If done correctly I doubt there is any damage, but the speed of the gears and must match the point in the power band precisely at that moment. If they do not, You'll know it. I've used this method when I want to reach speed quickly. However it is not without its risks. Done incorrectly serious damage can occur, chip or stripped gears resulting in costly repair comes to mind. If your lucky you'll never miss that much. Ride 'em Safe.

Hot Cruiser
09-20-2009, 05:49 PM
Shifting gears on a normal bike without declutching generally is asking for expensive repairs down the road as it places a lot of strain on gears, internal drive chains, splined shafts, and even crankshafts and engine bearings. Sponsored track racing bikes with team support normally are torn down after a race and parts replaced. As for shifting manual trans. cages without declutching, unless engine and trans. gear speeds are matched precisely the synchro rings are damaged and ultimately will need to be replaced. Practically speaking, with the time and skill it takes to shift manual trans. cages, etc. without declutching one is better off simply using the clutch.

Pfloydgad
09-20-2009, 09:17 PM
An interesting thread.
I can tell you my own personal experience with this.
I have been riding now 37 yrs and have over 300k on the seat, and every bike i have ever had I only have used the clutch for shifting up on the first 3 gears.
And speed shift the rest of the way up through the gears.
I do clutch for all gears to downshift and use the engine to help with slowing the bike down at lights and signs.
I wouldn't recommend this for every rider, I do show riders how I do it, and have been very lucky in that I have never had a clutch problem with any of my 10 bikes.
But again, this is a learned riding technique, use it with patience and slow speed to start, time will make it easier and your knowledge of your bike and its workings.
Everyone ride safe.
Greg

QKENUF4U
09-20-2009, 11:32 PM
as floyd said..... up thru the gears is fine (other than 1st/2nd shift thanks to kaw neutral finder) since youre unloading the trans but NEVER DOWN THRU THE GEARS.... trans is under a load and you will wear the dogs very quickly..

jenzx6r
09-21-2009, 11:17 PM
as floyd said..... up thru the gears is fine (other than 1st/2nd shift thanks to kaw neutral finder) since youre unloading the trans but NEVER DOWN THRU THE GEARS.... trans is under a load and you will wear the dogs very quickly..

Very well explained, thanks! :)If I may ask another question???? My old bike had an aftermarket slipper clutch. My 2006 I understand has a slipper clutch stock. What exactly is the benefit? I am so accustomed to having one that I am not sure what it does or what it would be like to ride without one.

messer00
09-21-2009, 11:49 PM
Very well explained, thanks! :)If I may ask another question???? My old bike had an aftermarket slipper clutch. My 2006 I understand has a slipper clutch stock. What exactly is the benefit? I am so accustomed to having one that I am not sure what it does or what it would be like to ride without one.

They mitigate the effects of engine braking when riders decelerate as they enter corners. They are designed to partially disengage or "slip" when the rear wheel tries to drive the engine faster than it would run under its own power. The engine braking forces in conventional clutches will normally be transmitted back along the drive chain causing the rear wheel to hop, chatter or lose traction.

jenzx6r
09-22-2009, 01:28 AM
ok....I may have to read that a few times to comprehend it but thank you. I am inclined not to make any modifications at all to my 2006 (other than just the cosmetic flush mount lights etc...) I just don't think she needs anything. Any thoughts? I do a lot of cornering, I prefer being a more technical rider as opposed to going super fast in a straight line so I find going through the corners at the track a complete high but think this bike is exactly as she needs to be already. I have gone with dunlops and pirellis in the past, am interested in hearing others opinions on tires too. I do have to throw in that I do a lot of commuting back and forth to school so do put a number of straight boring highway miles on as well. Thanks! You all are awesome!

bmann
09-22-2009, 08:54 AM
Thank you very much Pfloydgad. That was the type of response I was looking for and you explained it perfectly. I appreciate the comments. Just to clearify, I wasn't intentionally trying to shift up without using the clutch, it just seemed that I was shifting from 2nd to 3rd and so on before I could squeeze the clutch in. The shifts have been right on and the gears just seemed to slide in smoothly. (maybe just luck) I am trying to take my time and make sure the clutch is pressed in before I shift to the next gear. Thanks again. Happy Riding!

V2K_CCTX
09-22-2009, 01:09 PM
the key in alll of this is the rider's experience