Riding out the winter [Archive] - Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums

Riding out the winter

Kawasaki Craig
10-17-2009, 10:02 PM
So,
My wife and I recently moved to the Dallas Fort Worth region of Texas to work on some more schooling, but I've noticed that winter is just around the corner. Only owning my bike, Do I:
A. Ride out the "winter" and hope Texas plays nice, no ice
B. Spend what little money I have left on a beat up truck and tuck the
bike away until Spring

Any experience on this topic? Any suggestions to make the winter riding more enjoyable or bearable? Thanks guys!

rangerscott
10-17-2009, 10:17 PM
You will get a few freezes, ice, sleet, snow. I would really consider getting 4 wheels in that area, escpecially if you take the highways/metro.

Here's a friend getting stuck at the top. Read his video detail.

ice stuck (http://vids.myspace.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=vids.individual&videoid=4188439)

kawairider
10-17-2009, 10:37 PM
From Dallas have rode for years 365 a year just stay off overpasses and layer up your clothes it's OK

Cracker
11-01-2009, 01:55 PM
I live in the mountains of north Georgia(almost NC) and ride year round. I have heated grips and wear an AeroStich Darien, Combat touring boots and TourMaster Winter Elite gloves. Beyond that I layer up depending on conditions(fleece/merlino thermals/silk/smartwool). We get alot more ice than snow, but when it does snow it will usualy melt off in a day or so and then refreeze. Watch bridges and on secondary streets where drain pipes run under roads, they are not marked like bridges.

I have a dream to add a Connie and a ZRex to the stable some day but for now I ride a KLR and suffer on the longer high speed trips.