Engine cuts off when applying throttle fast. [Archive] - Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums

Engine cuts off when applying throttle fast.

otgt
10-31-2009, 04:26 PM
I recently had to do some motor work where I had to dismount my engine on my 2006 Nomad. After we got everything back together, the engine started cutting off when applying throttle fast from idle. It didnt do this before. It also makes a pop noise out of the air intake (breather) when this happens. It will start fine as long as i feather the throttle. Any ideas?

NOTE: Im currently running cheap 10-40 Non "Energy conserving' motor oil in it to flush out the engine. I dont think that could be it.

My previous issue.
https://www.kawasakimotorcycle.org/forum/kawasaki-touring-sport-touring/119679-2006-vulcan-nomad-clutch-noise.html

sfair
10-31-2009, 08:43 PM
Intake popping is usually a sign of a lean mixture. I would look for an intake leak, hose off, etc. Maybe something that got pulled or pinched when you shifted the motor?
Is the FI light on?
It no longer starts throttle off like it used to?
Another sign of a possible vacuum leak.

otgt
10-31-2009, 11:32 PM
Intake popping is usually a sign of a lean mixture. I would look for an intake leak, hose off, etc. Maybe something that got pulled or pinched when you shifted the motor?
Is the FI light on?

I will check for pinched or loose hoses tomorrow. The Fi light is not on. When I first start the engine, I have to give it a little throttle to get it going, then it idols fine. As soon as I apply throttle, it instantly cuts off but starts right back up applying a little throttle. It almost seems like there is a delay in throttle response if that helps. I will pull the tank off tomorrow to check that. Will report back.

650hardtail
11-01-2009, 07:30 AM
maybe check petcock filter for debris...a fuel flow issue ???

otgt
11-01-2009, 09:08 PM
Is the FI light on?

OK problem fixed. It ended up being something stupid we did when putting the engine back together. The plug that plugged into; what I think is the throttle positioning sensor wasn't pushed in. I plugged it in and everything started working. Thanks again.

sfair
11-01-2009, 09:37 PM
That would do it. I am suprised that you did not get an FI light on for that, though.

otgt
11-03-2009, 08:03 AM
That would do it. I am suprised that you did not get an FI light on for that, though.

Yeah, I was thinking the same thing. One day when I have money burining in my pocket, I will get the dealer to check that out to be sure nothings wrong. Thanks:biggrin: