Passenger Comfort on Concours? [Archive] - Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums

Passenger Comfort on Concours?

alekkas
11-09-2009, 03:11 PM
Got back into riding this summer with a Vulcan 1600. Really nice - I like it and my wife is VERY comfortable on back.

Still, as winter weather is coming my mind is wandering on other things --- like the badd asss Concours 14s.

If the ride is uncomfortable or the passenger riding position extreme, let me know now, so I don't spend the next months of winter plotting how to swing the cash for one ......

If it matters, we are both in our 40's. She only wants to feel at ease and comfortable on the bike. Gone are the days when she would jump on the back of the kz 1000 and grab on for her life ;)

NCDave
11-09-2009, 03:52 PM
This year I moved from a 1500 to a C-10. My wife felt far more comfortable on the C-10 seat, and was more at-ease on he bike overall. We've not tried a 14 yet though.

Metalman
11-11-2009, 10:36 PM
I am very interested in the C14 so we sat on one at an independent motorcycle shop. I am very comfortable (more comfortable than both of my Wings) but my wife was not at all comfortable. Perhaps with a backrest it would help, but the passenger foot pegs are much too high for her. If I get the C14, I will be riding it mostly by myself. We are senior citizens.

boxmonkey
11-12-2009, 01:05 AM
I currently own a 2009 C14 but have yet to have a passanger. the rider is very comfortable, compared to my vulcan 900. but as it is a sport touring bike I can see some comfort lost for the passanger. but better then a true sport bike.

Sabrehawk
11-12-2009, 06:55 AM
I have only had the wife on the Connie once and she was not comfortable. we are in our 50's and she has a bad back as well as loving our Goldwing.All that being said there are things to enhance passenger comfort, there are lowering kits for the foot pegs and trunks with back pads for more support and comfort. Those changes don't change the fact that that this is one fine ride. Hawk

alekkas
11-12-2009, 09:38 AM
That is some good info and very useful to me - Thanks. A perfect case for two bikes!

She's not ready for the whole Goldwing / Voyager route yet - which is cool for now, cause I'm not either. But, I don't see her stepping back on the comfort level she has now. Looks like the Vulcan it is.

Sabrehawk
11-13-2009, 09:28 AM
Sorry I didn't mean to scare you off ,the best thing is to find a dealer and get her on it.Let her decide her comfort level, like I said we are old folks.
Hawk

alekkas
11-13-2009, 09:59 AM
Hopped on one last night. Stopped by for a filter and fogging oil for that long hibernation ......

What a cool bike. Feels so light (comparatively). I am going to get my better half over there to have a seat on the back. Don't think she'll go for it - she thinks they look too plastic, but hey, I'll keep looking around for a used one or see if they'll let me do a 2 up test ride if it still hasn't sold by spring.

What a world of difference from a cruiser .........

NCDave
11-13-2009, 10:15 AM
My wife finds it far more comfortable with a back rest behind her. Putting a top case with an integrated backrest may help her some with comfort.

Alf
11-13-2009, 11:25 AM
I have a C-10 and a 900 LT my wife prefers the 900 because of the back rest and the passenger floor boards I had put on for her. We went for a long ride on the C-10 and just the normal acceleration passing etc. scared the beejesus out of her. The C-10 has no back rest either and she said she felt like she was sliding off the back. In the spring I will put on a topcase with back rest and see how that goes. I do love to ride the Connie. Not ready for the Goldwing yet.

NCDave
11-13-2009, 11:34 AM
My wife is the same way about having something behind her. She'll enjoy the case. My wife is actually more comfortable going "quick" and cornering on the c-10 for some reason. Can't really explain that one except that it's "woman logic"! :shock:

alekkas
11-13-2009, 11:50 AM
Not ready for the Goldwing yet.

And that's the answer. Same here. Some day ---- but not nearly yet!!!!

NCDave
11-13-2009, 12:10 PM
... Not ready for the Goldwing yet.

And that's the answer. Same here. Some day ---- but not nearly yet!!!!

you should both be flogged for even speaking that word!!! :eek:

alekkas
11-13-2009, 02:08 PM

Well, you know, as you get older ....... you start thinking of things ....:biggrin:

rbentnail
11-13-2009, 06:12 PM
Well, you know, as you get older ....... you start thinking of things ....:biggrin:
Since when? As I get older I forget things :lol:

Anyway, don't listen to Dave- goldwings are fine bikes. You'll know when you're ready for one.

alekkas
11-13-2009, 06:55 PM
Since when? As I get older I forget things :lol:

Anyway, don't listen to Dave- goldwings are fine bikes. You'll know when you're ready for one.

I agree - but right now, I am still trying to get to like a windshield! Can't get past wanting the wind all over me.

Today at work, I realized that senility is setting in cause I TOTALLY forgot something I did. I told my coworker that it was time I started taking more pictures so I could actually remember things.

Alf
11-13-2009, 07:03 PM

Nothing like a good flogging :biggrin:

Ed.B
11-17-2009, 01:55 PM
Regarding getting old enough for a Goldwing: A friend let me try his new 1800 back in 2003? I didn't like it at all. I'm 5'8" 210lbs 57 now, 51 years old then. That bike felt like riding a sport bike to me, like I was streched out over the tank with all my weight on my arms and shoulders. I couldn't sit back and relax because the handlebars were too far away and not adjustable. It felt like I was locked into a racing croutch with my feet up too high and behind me so that I couldn't get comfortable. After an hour of that misery I was real glad to get back on my 1100 Spectre. The Honda was real powerfull and handled well, but I don't like riding with my chin on the gas tank and my feet behind me.

The Concourse would be too sportbike like for me, I like to sit back with my head up when my pegs are scraping through the curves.

Chad_Clearwater
11-17-2009, 03:04 PM
I currently have a VTX1300R and like it a lot.

I've owned a GoldWing and enjoyed it, but I'm short and they're tall/wide so I probably will not buy another.

Unless: I trike it.

A coworker triked out a GL a couple of years ago and loves it.

An aquaintence in Spokane just got a great deal on a VTX1800 and bought the trike kit....both new, out the door about $18K. I'm thinking of looking towards the future and checkin out the trike kit for the 1300. :D

Oh yeah, I'm 57 and have had bouts with sciatica in the past. Not a problem right now but the old joints aren't getting any smoother.

Metalman
11-17-2009, 05:32 PM
I would like a new bike within a year or so. I have two Gold Wings and they are fine bikes, but I'd like something a little less couch like. The 1800 Wing probably will fill the bill, but it isn't as comfortable as my 1500. I have long legs and need room to spread out. For some reason the riding position on the C14 feels real good, sort of like my old V65 Sabres. If the passenger comfort could be improved, possibly with rear peg lowers and a back rest, perhaps it will be a good choice.

NCDave
11-18-2009, 03:50 PM
Just tell her to shut up, get on, and stop whining! :biggrin:

Metalman
12-05-2009, 08:42 PM
Yup, just what I want...a slap in the side of my head, before going on a ride!

michaelde1941
01-03-2010, 01:42 AM
sabrehawk; i will tell you that my wife likes the seat on my 04 better than the one on the 08,i did buy a large givi top case for the 08 it has a back rest on it which makes it better for her, along with the risers cee baileys windshield and cruise control makes for a good traveling companion,we were up to wyo.in july of 08 for the BMW national thats when a deer hit me on the way back but thats another story haha. last september we went out to san francisco to see my family on the 08 also, put about 4000 miles on it in about 5 days traveling time. i personaly dont think that the BMW is an any better touring bike, it is a little warm sometimes like when we pulled into needles ca. it was about 105 degrees there at6 pm. your not that old im 68 my wife is 63 keep riding it will keep you young at heart. you know what they say you dont stop riding cause you get old , you get old because you stop riding good luck. michaeld

MLKN
01-04-2010, 07:53 PM
WOW 4000mile sin 5 days. That's over 6,400 KM's making that about 1,200 Kms a days, that's around 12 - 14 hours of riding including fuel stops and meals. I'm impressed, I can't even get the wife to do that in the SUV. I'd be pushing myself to do that. I'm very impressed. and I'm only 36.

As for the ridign confort, yah Corbin has a back rest with or without a box as well. Plus they have plush heated seats. I can't remember where I saw them, but there is a peg lowering kit out there somewhere.