Pulling the Rear Tire [Archive] - Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums

Pulling the Rear Tire

Bonanza Bill
11-09-2009, 06:13 PM
Been riding for years but don't work on my bike. Too busy. Lost a tire on a ride this weekend and had to plug and fill with gook to get home. Time for a new tire.

How difficult is it to pull the rear tire on a 2005 Concours? Can it be done with the bike on the center stand? How much other equipment must be disconnected?

Looking for good guidance.

Thanks,

Bonanza Bill

Charlie Gary
11-10-2009, 12:50 AM
Been riding for years but don't work on my bike. Too busy. Lost a tire on a ride this weekend and had to plug and fill with gook to get home. Time for a new tire.

How difficult is it to pull the rear tire on a 2005 Concours? Can it be done with the bike on the center stand? How much other equipment must be disconnected?

Looking for good guidance.

Thanks,

Bonanza Bill

It's not that bad if you can wrench. First pull the mufflers. Remove the nut-bolt combo connecting the brake caliper to the torque arm. Then pull the cotter pin. Remove the big nut, tap the axle out of the hole until the brake caliper mount is free, hang the brake caliper with a piece of wire or something else, finish removing the axle and the wheel will come off the final drive unit. Now you can remove the final drive unit from the swingarm, which gives you room to get the tire out from under the fender. Don't lose the spacer inside the wheel. Reassemble in reverse, making sure you grease the splines. For all the details I forgot to type, go to this website. Concours Owners Group - Northwest Area Home Page (http://www.cog-online.org/clubportal/ClubStatic.cfm?clubID=1328&pubmenuoptID=17696)