latest sport touring shootout [Archive] - Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums

latest sport touring shootout

twhite
11-17-2009, 02:53 PM
I just read the latest sport touring shootout. BMW k1300 first, Yamaha FJR 2nd, Kaw c14 third, Triumph Sprint st 4th. I have an 09 c14. While they are entitled to their opinions, I take exception to the fact they knock this bike because of its handling. First and foremost the c14 is a super sport tourer. I happen to like the way it handles and the height makes it more athletic for me. I guess it depends on the rider and what your used to. Does it handle like a 10? No but I have a Naked bike for those types of rides. It is very comfortable for me and will run rings around most stuff out here except the litre bikes. It handles well in the mountains. I can keep up with the younger boys on the 6s and 10s. I guess it needs to cost more. You know like 26000 for a beemer. Twhite

rbentnail
11-17-2009, 04:18 PM
In in case you missed it, tw is talking about 2009 Sport-Touring Shootout IV - Touring Motorcycle Comparison Review - Motorcycle USA (http://www.motorcycle-usa.com/12/5007/Motorcycle-Article/2009-Sport-Touring-Shootout-IV.aspx). I read them for what they are- someone else's opinion. I feel no need to justify what I ride. A common thread through many of the compro articles is that the notes are quirks. Just pick the color you like best and buy it, you can't go wrong with any of them. It is a good ad for BMW tho, isn't it?

NCDave
11-17-2009, 04:30 PM
I used to think what those guys wrote was gospel as to which bike to buy, but I've learned that the differences they bring out between the bikes are due to splitting hairs. In fact, each one of these bikes (or the Honda ST too for that matter) would make wonderful ST mounts, and you'd probably never have a complaint about them. As Russ said...pick a color, buy it, and have fun in the curves! :D

twhite
11-17-2009, 04:52 PM
There isnt a BMW dealer within 150 miles of me. And the cost of those things, wow. You can buy an f150 for what they cost. and after all, it is still just a motorcycle. TW

rbentnail
11-17-2009, 05:31 PM
JUST a motorcyle :eek: ?!? No way, it's a BMW!!:D :D

rbentnail
11-17-2009, 06:21 PM
I'm trying something new to me, so cut this computerly challenged ignoramus some slack. Ever wonder how folks insert a link to click, but it's not the url? You know, intead of this 2009 Sport-Touring Shootout IV - Touring Motorcycle Comparison Review - Motorcycle USA (http://www.motorcycle-usa.com/12/5007/Motorcycle-Article/2009-Sport-Touring-Shootout-IV.aspx) it looks like clicky (http://www.motorcycle-usa.com/12/5007/Motorcycle-Article/2009-Sport-Touring-Shootout-IV.aspx) or click here (http://www.motorcycle-usa.com/12/5007/Motorcycle-Article/2009-Sport-Touring-Shootout-IV.aspx) or whateverthehell (http://www.motorcycle-usa.com/12/5007/Motorcycle-Article/2009-Sport-Touring-Shootout-IV.aspx)? Me too.

Welp, I think I have finally learned how to do it (http://www.motorcycle-usa.com/12/5007/Motorcycle-Article/2009-Sport-Touring-Shootout-IV.aspx). Here goes, wish me luck!!

- copy the url link you want to use. Do not paste it yet.
- in your post, type the word you want the link to be named, i.e., clicky, here, Fred, Agnus, whatever.
- highlight the link name you just typed.
- click on the "insert link" button. It's the one that looks like a couple different things: blue ball with an infinity symbol, or maybe a bow tie wearing Earth.
- paste the url you copied in the pop-open box and click "ok".

That's it, you're done! Thank you, thank you, no applause please, just send money. I hope this helps someone out there some day. Maybe tonight at work won't be so bad, after all, I've learned something new today and so far haven't hurt myself. Life is good!

We now return to our regularly scheduled program already in progress. Thank you for your patience.

[/hijack]

twhite
11-17-2009, 06:36 PM
JUST a motorcyle :eek: ?!? No way, it's a BMW!!:D :D

i hope your lol being sarcastic just like I am. i dont have anything against em. I just am not going to pay that for a bike. If it were worlds better, outrun everything, never needed service work done, and didint have final drive issues, well, I still wouldnt buy one. TW n lol

skewterdewd
11-17-2009, 06:47 PM
We now return to our regularly scheduled program already in progress. Thank you for your patience.

oh man...will this be on the quiz? :o

bross
11-17-2009, 06:50 PM
I used to think what those guys wrote was gospel as to which bike to buy, but I've learned that the differences they bring out between the bikes are due to splitting hairs. In fact, each one of these bikes (or the Honda ST too for that matter) would make wonderful ST mounts, and you'd probably never have a complaint about them. As Russ said...pick a color, buy it, and have fun in the curves! :D
I have been reading motorcycle magazines long enough to get to know most of the writers/testers and which ones have similar riding styles, and same size body as I do. It's those people I tend to "listen" to a little more than joe blow bike tester. I also read with more attention the side notes they usually print at the end, sometimes you can glean more from those notes than the entire article.

I have an uncanny knack for buying a bike just *before* a big comparo article comes out. But so far have been able to bask in glow of making the right choice. ;-)

But as stated, you can't by a bad bike now a days, buy the bike you like, ride the wheels off it and who cares what anyone else thinks. :mrgreen:

rbentnail
11-17-2009, 06:56 PM
i hope your lol being sarcastic just like I am. i dont have anything against em. I just am not going to pay that for a bike. If it were worlds better, outrun everything, never needed service work done, and didint have final drive issues, well, I still wouldnt buy one. TW n lol

Oh yeah, sarcasm included. I'm not even close to wealthy so value, what you get for what you pay, is very important to me, especially in today's slow times.

oh man...will this be on the quiz? :o

Maybe. This is one of life's little triumphs for me. They seem to come along more and more infrequently as I age :-D

rbentnail
11-17-2009, 06:58 PM
I have been reading motorcycle magazines long enough to get to know most of the writers/testers and which ones have similar riding styles, and same size body as I do. It's those people I tend to "listen" to a little more than joe blow bike tester. I also read with more attention the side notes they usually print at the end, sometimes you can glean more from those notes than the entire article.

I have an uncanny knack for buying a bike just *before* a big comparo article comes out. But so far have been able to bask in glow of making the right choice. ;-)

But as stated, you can't by a bad bike now a days, buy the bike you like, ride the wheels off it and who cares what anyone else thinks. :mrgreen:
Excellent point! I wonder why the mags don't include a short bio of the testers so the readers can compare.

NCDave
11-18-2009, 03:49 PM
I do like the parts when they get down to brass tacks and say "if I was spending MY money, this is the one I would buy".

bross
11-18-2009, 06:11 PM
I do like the parts when they get down to brass tacks and say "if I was spending MY money, this is the one I would buy".
So if you *were* spending *MY* money which one would you buy? :tongue:

aKorn
11-18-2009, 06:56 PM
It's a good time to be looking for bikes. I've been watching st1300s and they are going cheap.

rbentnail
11-18-2009, 07:26 PM
So if you *were* spending *MY* money which one would you buy? :tongue:
For me it would come down to the BMW or the FJR. But I'd have to put some saddle time in on the Beemer.

texascycle
08-21-2010, 10:58 PM
So, there are a bunch of different reviews out there, and they are all inconsistent when it comes to the Concours 14. Some say its underpowered, poor handling, while other praise it for those same things. I did a bit of research before I bought mine, and since then I have read much more ... plus now, I have first hand experience to apply.

At this point, I KNOW, I got the best bike out there for anybody's money for what I wanted.