Just Joined The Forum! [Archive] - Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums

Just Joined The Forum!

CarLess08
12-03-2009, 06:46 PM
Hi, all I wanted to say hi and find out if there are any Versys riders out there I feel all alone here, I havenít seen any other then mine and the 09s in the show room.

Iíve been riding since around Aug of 08 but I donít have a car and I ride every day so Iíve already been through one bike on to this one. Currently have 12000 miles on it and Iím starting to run in to tune up issues (would love the input)

First bike Believe it or not was an Eliminator 125 (Iím 6'4" 210lb) 8) . Letís just say I sold it and moved on to bigger and better things.

Charlie Gary
12-03-2009, 10:17 PM
Welcome to the show! Don't know anything about tuning a Versys, but thought I'd chime in with a welcome anyway.

ddouble
12-03-2009, 10:27 PM
I have 18,000+ on my 08. No issues so far except the bikes appetite for rear tires. ;)

Dan

CarLess08
12-04-2009, 08:59 AM
Well I just had to tighten up the chain, clean and lube it. Iím about to put my next set of tires on it (Metzeler roadtec's). :D

Iím wondering if I need to maintenance the air filter or fuel filter at any time.

Also is there a mileage that you should change out a clutch cable?

cmptrmn.1
12-04-2009, 10:39 AM
Welcome, CarLess. Can't help you at all on your bike, but, there are many here that can.

Kawi
12-04-2009, 10:53 AM
Welcome to the community CarLess enjoy.

12-04-2009, 10:56 AM
Do you have a service manual and a way to lift the bike? The manual will tell you when to change and adjust things and how to do it.

trikebubble
12-04-2009, 11:03 AM
Welcome to the forum, can't really help you with maintenance issues. I'm sure someone will come along with some good advice though.

Now post up some pictures before the naitves get restless. :D

ddouble
12-04-2009, 11:20 AM
Well I just had to tighten up the chain, clean and lube it. Iím about to put my next set of tires on it (Metzeler roadtec's). :D

Iím wondering if I need to maintenance the air filter or fuel filter at any time.

Also is there a mileage that you should change out a clutch cable?

The longest I have had a rear tire last is 6,500 miles. The original was done at 5,000. My riding style is more of a factor to longevity than miles traveled. :oops: No burn outs just spirited riding.
Original Dunlop 5,000 miles.
Dunlop Roadsmart 6,500 miles.
Continental Road Attack 5,700 miles.
Currently running a Shinko 009. We shall see.

I am an all weather daily rider and the tires have done well wet or dry.

The chain needed replaced at 17,000. I contributed to the death of the original by messing up the adjustment once. It developed a stretched section. The way the swing arm works is a little different from my other bikes, it needs to be adjusted on the side stand and attention paid to proper slack. Now that I understand the hows and whys I am having less issues with the new one.

I check and clean the air filter every oil change. There isn't a serviceable fuel filter.

The clutch cable doesn't have a replacement interval. It should be checked and lubed at oil changes.

Dan

V2K_CCTX
12-04-2009, 12:28 PM
welcome to the fun

rbentnail
12-04-2009, 04:12 PM
Welcome to the big show! Has anyone mentioned bike pics yet? We gotta have bike pics.

CarLess08
12-06-2009, 10:46 PM
Wow thanks for all the help. i am a sprint to speed every day rider too! i just want the bike to last me as long as it can so i want to make sure i take good care of it. yes i do have access to a list. if not friends i always have the hobby shop! :tongue:

i will post some pics! tomorrow morning they are all on my work computer. i do not have a service manual but i do know it tells you to take the tank off to change to air filter ... there has to be another way!

thanks for the replys again! hope that i can give some in put in to you alls bikes as well!:wink:

ddouble
12-07-2009, 06:39 PM
Well I'll just give you the bad news first. There is no other way to access the air filter other than removing the tank. :frown: On the bright side it gets easier to remove every time you do it. :tongue: Wait until it is time to change the plugs, the tank and airbox have to come off. From my own experience double the plug change interval. The V uses high tech/dollar plugs that last longer than Momma Kaw claims.

A sincere Thank You for your service is in order.

I retired over ten years ago and still use the hobby shop here at Cherry Point. They are a great resource to the DYI minded person even if you have a small at home shop.

Dan

mwmalotte
12-08-2009, 02:38 PM
Welcome to the forum, Carless!