Short legs... [Archive] - Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums

Short legs...

KennesawCruiser
12-13-2009, 09:09 PM
evening, folks. I'm more usually posting in the cruiser forum (vn800, currently) but have been looking at some different bikes - something to do a little more traveliing on, little more highway time, and looking to branch out.

BUT, the majority of my riding, day in and day out, will still be commuting in Atlanta traffic. I try to time it so I'm not out at the worst times, but still a lot of stop and go.

Went to a local used bike place to check out a '99 concours I've been thinking about. No test rides, but I got to sit on it, and Holy Moley! that is a tall bike! or, just as likely, I have short legs... I could just BARELY get my tip toes down sitting it upright. Granted, I wasn't wearing my riding boots, but they're just boots - not platforms.

Any suggestions out there on a nice tourer for the vertically challenged? Much as I do love my cruiser, I'd like to break out into something other than a vtwin, but wondering if there's anything out there that I'm ergonomically fit for.

Appreciate your thoughts.

Thanks!

PSNinja
12-14-2009, 12:36 AM
I have an 07 Ninja 650r that I've outfitted for touring. I added bar risers, a tall windscreen, an Alaska Leathers leat cushion, and Givi side cases and topbox(top trunk). My Hubby and I rode from Spokane across the state to San Juan Island this summer. Rode through the desert, over two mountain passes and through city traffic. It did very well. Was stable in some heavy winds we encountered, got great gas milage (about 60mpg), had enough guts to get me over the mountains and to quickly get up to speed when I needed to on the highways, but was smooth and comfortable.

http://i667.photobucket.com/albums/vv34/PSNinja_photo/San%20Juan%20Trip/BikesWinthropInn2.jpg
The one on the right is my 650, the one on the left is my hubby's V-Strom 650. It's very tall.

I'm 5'5" and have no trouble standing flat-footed.

rbentnail
12-14-2009, 04:31 PM
When shopping STs late '07/early'08, I found I had the same problem with the C14 being way too tall for me. I went Yamaha FJR and haven't regretted it for a minute. At 5'10" w/ 30" inseam, I find it to be the most comfortable bike I have ever ridden. Very nimble in town, more than capable of handling any road you want to travel for the long haul.

KennesawCruiser
12-14-2009, 05:54 PM
Thanks for the thoughts, folks.

PSNinja: Glad to hear your setup - and that you think the vstrom is tall, also! I sat on one and yowzer - not for me.

rbentnail: I've always liked the FJRs, may have to try that. Now if I can just find a used one in my price range...hopefully it's the right time of year and a buyers market.

Thanks again! Anyone else with any suggestions, please chime in.

rbentnail
12-14-2009, 06:23 PM
Two of the more popular forums where used FJRs show up for sale.
FJR Riders Forum - Powered by vBulletin (http://www.fjriders.com/forum/index.php)
FJR Forum (Powered by Invision Power Board) (http://www.fjrforum.com/forum//index.php?)

Also, another current thread (https://www.kawasakimotorcycle.org/forum/kawasaki-cruisers/121719-vulcan-1700lt-c-14-a.html) regarding shopping for STs. My post there has a couple of links you hopefully may find helpful.

The Vol-can
12-15-2009, 10:32 PM
Your quest sounds eerily familiar. I was an owner of a proud VN800 and just recently transitioned to a '99 Concours. My inseam of 32 inches is adequate to maneuver on the bike with a minimal amount of 'paddling'. However, the shop manual and COG website seem to indicate that some adjustment in height is possible via adjusting the air in the rear shock, which I have yet to try.

Did seriously consider the FJR (Russ is a seriously good salesman on that front) but the dollars got in the way. Hope your hunt proves successful.

BTW, PM me if you've got more questions. I'm an hour north of you.

rbentnail
12-16-2009, 05:59 PM
Your quest sounds eerily familiar.

Doesn't it tho? :D Sure would be nice if I could figure out a way to bottle a solution and sell it. I'd be a gazillionaire!! I think back on all the flip-flopping and indecision and agonizing I (we) did and hope no one else has to go through that!

Did seriously consider the FJR (Russ is a seriously good salesman on that front) but the dollars got in the way. Hope your hunt proves successful.
Just think of how much more peaceful the world would be if everyone could simply drink my patented potion, go buy an FJR and live happily ever after :lol: :lol:

Deeppurple52
01-06-2010, 04:49 PM
+1 rbent.... Additionally, the FJR rear suspension uses a "dog bone" linkage. For about $50 you can change it to lower the FJR as much as needed. You can also move the front forks up in the triple tree to keep 'er level. For the detractors, I lowered my wife's R1100RT 1.5" and it did not impact handling at all.
Be warned... once you join the ST world you can never go back!

A-J
01-06-2010, 05:36 PM
I'm a tad late to the party, but I got to sit on the new honda something 700. I'm not a midget at 5'7", but I have a short inseam. I was able to comfortably reach the ground with both feet on the bike. Has the option for ABS too. Wish they'd have had test rides on that baby.

rbentnail
01-07-2010, 03:54 PM
I'm a tad late to the party, but I got to sit on the new honda something 700. I'm not a midget at 5'7", but I have a short inseam. I was able to comfortably reach the ground with both feet on the bike. Has the option for ABS too. Wish they'd have had test rides on that baby.
I've heard about it but not seen one. Nice bike?

2010 NT700V - Honda Powersports (http://powersports.honda.com/2010/nt700v.aspx)

Deeppurple52
01-08-2010, 02:56 PM
They have a NT700 on the floor here. It is nicely done and looks a lot like the ST1300. It has the same tip over bars and hard bags. The rear is a moulded one-piece unit and the bags are not removable. It is taller (IMHO) than it needs to be but should be a nice road bike.

Ronmac1118
01-08-2010, 03:09 PM
evening, folks. I'm more usually posting in the cruiser forum (vn800, currently) but have been looking at some different bikes - something to do a little more traveliing on, little more highway time, and looking to branch out.

BUT, the majority of my riding, day in and day out, will still be commuting in Atlanta traffic. I try to time it so I'm not out at the worst times, but still a lot of stop and go.

Went to a local used bike place to check out a '99 concours I've been thinking about. No test rides, but I got to sit on it, and Holy Moley! that is a tall bike! or, just as likely, I have short legs... I could just BARELY get my tip toes down sitting it upright. Granted, I wasn't wearing my riding boots, but they're just boots - not platforms.

Any suggestions out there on a nice tourer for the vertically challenged? Much as I do love my cruiser, I'd like to break out into something other than a vtwin, but wondering if there's anything out there that I'm ergonomically fit for.

Thanks!

You went to WOW, and no they will not let you test ride, don`t know how they ever sell, as I ain`t gonna buy a pig in the poke, lol

PSNinja
01-09-2010, 12:47 AM
I've heard about it but not seen one. Nice bike?

2010 NT700V - Honda Powersports (http://powersports.honda.com/2010/nt700v.aspx)

I tried one on a couple of weeks ago. Very nice!!! Very comfy to sit on. I'd seriously consider one if I was looking for a new bike. Would like to take it out for a spin.

The Vol-can
01-09-2010, 02:08 AM

Thanks![/QUOTE]

Your tune sounds vaguely familiar, except the part about commuting in Atl traffic (not this kid! I'll stick to NW Ga). I'm a former 800 owner myself, and now have a 1999 Connie. My 32 inch inseam is just able to deal with the bike. Before purchasing the bike this past Fall, I had tried out the FJR and fell in love with the bike (but not the price!). You might also try out the Kaw 1700's.

fuji
02-12-2010, 08:59 PM
I have a several bikes that I can't flat-foot, but that's never been an issue for me (29-inch inseam). However, you can buy lowering kits which work well and don't hamper performance - unless you're racing.
It's really just a matter of confidence, I suspect.
However, look at Harleys. They're generally very low slung.