C-14 or Vulcan 1700LT? [Archive] - Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums

C-14 or Vulcan 1700LT?

vulcan_dude
12-14-2009, 01:21 AM
Ok... so coming off a 2009 900 Vulcan after putting about 16K miles on her, I had to sell her. But will be ready for a new bike soon, and even though I really loved the 900, I would like to "upgrade" to something bigger and more comfortable for me and a passenger on longer trips. So far, I have my eye on the Vulcan 1700 LT. However, I also like the notion of a Sport Tourer (comfort and sportiness)... and the C-14 seems hard to beat in its category for the price, and is also a beautiful and technically advanced bike.

My question is this... which bike would be more comfortable for long trips (several days), weekend trips, and several hours at a time riding locally, in the mountains and through cities.

I like the cruiser look, and have heard good things about the 1700's comfort and power, plus the ability to really personalize cruisers is nice. But, on the 900, I always scraped the floorboards on twisties, and wished it had more passing power at times.

I really like the Sport Tourer look of the C-14as well, and of course, no shortage of power and ability to take the twisties a little better than a cruiser, which I really wish I was able to do on the 900, but wasn't able to, due to the limited clearance. Don't get me wrong, I'm not talking about going overboard and maniacal on the twisties, but just a little more spirited on the twisties.

Also, how comfortable would the bikes be for the passenger and myself on long trips, spending several hours on the bike, and for several days. I found the 900 bearable but certainly not very comfortable during some long trips I took.

Finally, what kind of change can I expect with either bike coming from the Vulcan 900. I have ridden bigger cruisers, including the Yamaha Stratoliner, which was very smooth and well balanced, so I kind of have an idea about the larger Vulcan, but what about a C-14? How does it differ from what I'm used to (Cruisers)?

Thanks for any input you can provide!

- Albert

rbentnail
12-14-2009, 04:59 PM
Can't help with the C14 specifically but can with STs in general. This thread (https://www.kawasakimotorcycle.org/forum/main-lobby/65240-cruiser-vs-sport-tourer.html) starts by saying, "Some folks have asked, so here are some observations. For those not familiar, I sold my '04 1500 Classic and took delivery of an '07 Yamaha FJR last Wednesday morning. Today I rode about 175 miles of twisties, winding country roads and superslab highways." Ignore the drama on the first page, I just had a bug up my butt that day, as explained at the end of post #17.

This thread (https://www.kawasakimotorcycle.org/forum/main-lobby/63866-my-emmie-gone-2.html) is a little more.

I hope it helps. I know better than than most the difficulty of going from a cruiser to an ST, trying to decide which one, etc., etc. I agonized for quite a while.

Good luck!!

trikebubble
12-14-2009, 05:04 PM
As to not confuse things, and have mulitple identical responses, please respond here:
https://www.kawasakimotorcycle.org/forum/kawasaki-cruisers/121719-vulcan-1700lt-c-14-a.html

Thanks.