ZZR1200: What to look for when buying used [Archive] - Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums

ZZR1200: What to look for when buying used

Ortofuchi
12-16-2009, 01:39 AM
I'm looking to buy a used zzr1200 (most likely a 2002 model) & would like to know what "red-flags" I should be looking for? In other words,
what should I check that'll tell me that this bike's a lemon - or that perhaps I need to reconsider my offer.
For example:

This will be my first sport-tourer, so I'm not sure how many miles are too many miles.

What are some weak points of the bike? (sticky carbs?)

What kind of wear and tear should I expect?

What sort of things, in this bike, will let me know that the rider didn't take care of it?

If there is an obvious (or not so obvious) drop, where are those oh-so-delicate spots that could signal internal damage?

Anything will help :smile: I live up in the northeast & I'm trying to get the best price by buying in winter (buying tips are also welcomed)
which means that the zzr1200 is very hard to come by & I can't get a good sense of what kind of problems I should be looking for
(apart from the obvious; you know, a missing motor or something).

I bet other people would be interested too :smile:

Thanks for your help

skewterdewd
12-16-2009, 12:43 PM
You'll prolly learn more here:

ZZRBikes.com - THE web resource for Kawasaki ZZR Motorcycles! (http://www.zzrbikes.com/modules.php?name=Forums)

Ortofuchi
12-16-2009, 08:50 PM
Wow... excellent link! Thanks :)

So based on what I've read, it seems like there are two major (possible) problems with the '02 zzr1200

1)pitted cam lobes
2)porous head castings

Some quotes:
"affects 02ís built from 02/2002 and earlier, with serial numbers less than 5000 (last 4 digits)"
"Some just leaked coolant into the spark plug wells like mine but a very few leaked coolant into the oil"

Now, can someone enlighten me as to how I can check for these??
I might be picking the bike up on friday morning. :biggrin: