Loose Handlebars on '09 Voyager/Nomad? [Archive] - Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums

Loose Handlebars on '09 Voyager/Nomad?

Top K
01-22-2010, 11:27 AM
I recently noticed that my handlebars had a little give where the risers attach to the triple tree - so much so, that I took it into the shop to have it checked. I hadn't noticed the looseness till I dropped the bike in the driveway (made the mistake of riding in the grass a day after we had 1.5 inches of rain - it was if I had grabbed the front brake on gravel). Lesson learned! :eek:

When I dropped it off at the shop, the two techs that initially looked at it agreed - it seemed the bolts for the risers needed to be tightened. I have the Voyager, so I couldn't get a wrench on the nuts due to the fairing.

My plan was to go into the showroom and see if the bikes on the floor had the same issue - if so, then I could relax and know it was inherent in the design. But after hearing these guys say it seemed odd, I didn't bother.

Well after looking at it closer, they now say that the looseness is normal - the handlebars are rubber mounted, so there will be some give. Does anyone else notice this? I just don't recall this prior to dropping the bike (rode it for over 2,000 miles). If I push hard enough on the bars, they will really move in their mounts - maybe an inch if you jerk it enough - unnerves me knowing that the handlebars aren't solid when trying to push a 900 lb bike around the driveway.

JArthur
01-22-2010, 01:00 PM
Haven't noticed this myself but I will check when I get home from work tonight and let you know.

JArthur
01-22-2010, 07:31 PM
Well I looked at my bike and yes my bars seem to move a bit, not an inch but some. Will ask dealership when I take her in to see about the heat issue in a few months.

Top K
01-23-2010, 10:22 AM
Well I looked at my bike and yes my bars seem to move a bit, not an inch but some. Will ask dealership when I take her in to see about the heat issue in a few months.

Sounds the same as mine - when I attempt to move the handlebars, they just have some give to them. When I dropped it off at the stealer, the guy was really jerking on them - that's when I witnessed just how far they'll move in their mounts.