No Luggage Rack for new Voyager [Archive] - Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums

No Luggage Rack for new Voyager

Top K
01-28-2010, 12:17 PM
Was wondering what the delay was on the Luggage Rack for the '09/'10 Voyager, so called Saki - they said they are not making one after all. It was a matter of the trunk not being able to support the weight. :icon_frow

pat0021
01-28-2010, 12:28 PM
That blows

theaudidoc
03-02-2010, 07:49 AM

theaudidoc
03-02-2010, 07:50 AM
I went to the harley dealer and bought a rack for the ultra classic and modifyed it to fit....looks and works great :-D

Top K
03-02-2010, 01:01 PM
I went to the harley dealer and bought a rack for the ultra classic and modifyed it to fit....looks and works great :-D

Care to enlighten us on what mods you had to make?

theaudidoc
03-02-2010, 02:25 PM
Care to enlighten us on what mods you had to make?

i had to file the legs at an angle to match the Voyagers trunk and put some clear touch up paint on the bare metal. took me one hour

Slow Ride
03-04-2010, 07:27 PM
:worthless:

Uhmmm!!

crochammer
03-04-2010, 11:56 PM
I highly recommend Star Washers & rubber washers under those to distribute the weight, help level the install and prevent cracks. I have the Harley Trunk on my Nomad and used that method before installing the large Harley trunk rack. That's after speaking to some Harley riders who had experienced some problems.

theaudidoc
03-05-2010, 07:30 AM
pics to come...picking bike up from dealer sat...heat shield recall getting done...will post pics next week

crochammer
03-05-2010, 01:58 PM
I am not sure what the contour and backrest looks like in the new bike but this link Show Chrome Accessories (Big Bike Parts) Luggage Rack RTI06 (http://www.cruisercustomizing.com/detail.cfm?model_ID=0&Category_ID=0&manufacturer_ID=66&product_ID=5761&sblid_name=Show_Chrome_Accessories__Big_Bike_Parts __Luggage_Rack)

may work very well. It's Show Chrome 52-610 and is on sale for $75. My friend has one on his Venture and it came with standoffs to help adjust to different contours.

Scootworks has Chrome Star Washers, "These chrome star washers are a great way to dress up stud mounted accessories, like rear trunk racks, grab handles, etc. They distribute the load across a much larger area, minimizing the possibility of fiberglass or plastic body panel cracks where accessories are installed. They have a 1/4" diameter hole in the center, and are 1 1/4" in outside diameter. Shipped in packs of 10, this is a whale of a deal! #4-231 Chrome Star Washers - $17.96

I also used these for mounting the top rails on the hardbags on my '06 Nomad. Once you use them you will probably find other applications.

Sorry I have not worked out the proper way to link on this website yet.

theaudidoc
03-09-2010, 08:38 PM
1 trip to the hardware store...replace stock bolts from kit with stainless that are 1/4 inch longer...8 quarter diameter stainless fender washers...4 solid rubber washers ..4 with large center holes(like on a garden hose) assemble stock hardware as per instructions with longer bolts but add fender washers and rubber washers for more surface contact area....solid rubbber washers on inside of trunk the large hole rubber washers on the exterior. look at the 2nd pic ...all the pieces in that order.

theaudidoc
03-09-2010, 08:40 PM
more pics

crochammer
03-09-2010, 08:45 PM
Hey that's my rack:biggrin: Same as the one on my HD Tourpac. That will work.