New to Kawasaki and Forum [Archive] - Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums

New to Kawasaki and Forum

sleeknomad05
02-09-2010, 01:22 AM
Fellow Riders,

I am about to purchase my first Kawasaki, a 2005 Vulcan Nomad. I am buying it from a dealer and all I have been able to do is simply sit on it and stare at every angle. What I have been looking for are any downsides to this motorcycle, which in reading "first ride reviews" there don't seem to be any. Then I stumbled upon this forum and found members talking about engine noises.

I am very excited about purchasing this bike and moving up from my Yamaha V-Star. I would love to hear "the good, bad, and the ugly" on this bike. Hopefully it won't be bad enough that I will not want it anymore!

The one I am purchasing has just over 6K miles. The upgrades I know of are: Vance & Hines pipes and power commander. Any future, recommended upgrades?

Thanks.

Ride Safe!

pat0021
02-09-2010, 07:11 AM
Welcome and post some pics of your ride when you get it. The biggest down side you're going to have is an uncontrollable smile and desire to ride all the time.

As for engine noises the Kaw's are just a noisey lot. With 6K on the bike if its anything like my 900 you'll be do for tires soon. The stock Dunlops were shot by 8K.

JArthur
02-09-2010, 08:52 AM
Biggest downside I guess would be the winter.

I see you are from Fredericksburg, I got an old army buddy named Shaffer who lives there, we are planning a long weekend ride over there this summer to have a visit with him and his family.

cmptrmn.1
02-09-2010, 10:35 AM
Welcome, Sleek. Remember to post pics when you get the bike

Waterman66
02-09-2010, 12:41 PM
Sleek,

I have an 06 Nomad. Really don't have much to the downside with this machine. So far 15,000 trouble free miles. The engines do have noise to them but as far as I can tell, all Vulcans do. There is a group of Nomad'rs that have discussion on oils and the general concensus is that some of the synthetics do quite the noise some. The Nomad is a great bike (previously owned a 99).

Buy it and you won't have any regrets.

trikebubble
02-09-2010, 01:00 PM
My wife used to ride a VStar 1100 so I'm pretty familiar with that bike. I'd reckon you will love moving up to a Nomad. The difference in power will be very noticeable, and the fact the Nomad is fuel injected...instead of carbed, really helps out with altitude changes.
Not to mention it's pretty easy to change an oil filter on a Vulcan.........as opposed to the nightmare of changing the filter on a VStar.

Vulcan motors are also pretty much bulletproof, and require minimal maintenance. I never had any concerns over the "noisy" motor on either of my old Vulcan cruisers. I think the sound of those single crankpin motors lumbering along is music to the ears.

Good luck.

thor1500
02-09-2010, 09:48 PM
Congrats. and welcome.

Tod
02-09-2010, 10:11 PM
Fredricksburg Texas?

Welcome to BTK, post a couple of pics of you and your bike when you get the chance. :D

NS VULCAN
02-09-2010, 11:12 PM
Thinking on a trade of my 06 900 LT.Hopeing to notice a big change on those long rides.I was told i would not notice a big difference in power?

sleeknomad05
02-10-2010, 12:20 AM
Thanks for all the greetings and great reviews! Sounds like these Kaw's are great bikes! I will definitely be posting some pics once I pick it up, which will be when this SNOW in northern VA stops falling!! I can't wait to ride it and get out on a nice long ride! If you're in the VA area or will be, shoot me a line! I routinely go riding with my group, the 540 Riders (found on Meetup.com). Watch for pics to come soon...hopefully this weekend!

Ride Safe!

P.S. Semper Fi pat0021!!

SSgt Ryan Cantrell/USMC

jabbott
02-10-2010, 02:58 AM
Welcome and congrats on the new bike. I too have an 05 Nomad which I have owned from new. The bike is bullet proof and I love it, but it is my "fair weather" bike, I ride a Versys through the winter as the corrosion problems with our climate would kill the Nad. You mentioed the V&H and PC mods, but you didnt mention a mod to intake, has it been done? If not, those two mods wil have little effect on the bike. The V&H will of course give the bike the great sound, but for performance the intake must be "done". The engine needs to breathe, so V&H gets the exhaust out quicker, an intake mod gets the air in quicker and the PC can re-adjust the fuel mixture to take advantage of the new air flow. This mod was the very first one I did to my bike and I was amazed at the difference it made, I was told before hand but didnt really expect the result. Since then I have spent untold money on the bike, loving it as I did so, as well as all of the periodic maintenance required. You will get loads of help here if you need it and feel free to ask me if I can offer any assistance too.

pat0021
02-10-2010, 07:19 AM
Thanks for all the greetings and great reviews! Sounds like these Kaw's are great bikes! I will definitely be posting some pics once I pick it up, which will be when this SNOW in northern VA stops falling!! I can't wait to ride it and get out on a nice long ride! If you're in the VA area or will be, shoot me a line! I routinely go riding with my group, the 540 Riders (found on Meetup.com). Watch for pics to come soon...hopefully this weekend!

Ride Safe!

P.S. Semper Fi pat0021!!

SSgt Ryan Cantrell/USMC]

I Won't hold that agianst ya. LOL You still active duty? If so where ya stationed? I spent 3 1/2 years at Norfolk on the Kennedy.

sleeknomad05
02-10-2010, 11:40 AM
Welcome and congrats on the new bike. I too have an 05 Nomad which I have owned from new. The bike is bullet proof and I love it, but it is my "fair weather" bike, I ride a Versys through the winter as the corrosion problems with our climate would kill the Nad. You mentioed the V&H and PC mods, but you didnt mention a mod to intake, has it been done? If not, those two mods wil have little effect on the bike. The V&H will of course give the bike the great sound, but for performance the intake must be "done". The engine needs to breathe, so V&H gets the exhaust out quicker, an intake mod gets the air in quicker and the PC can re-adjust the fuel mixture to take advantage of the new air flow. This mod was the very first one I did to my bike and I was amazed at the difference it made, I was told before hand but didnt really expect the result. Since then I have spent untold money on the bike, loving it as I did so, as well as all of the periodic maintenance required. You will get loads of help here if you need it and feel free to ask me if I can offer any assistance too.

Thanks for the tips! The intake is one thing I will do shortly after getting it! Did you leave "the fake intake" alone? What kind did you put on yours? I like that Nomad in your profile pic! Is this your ride? I would like to make mine a "full dresser" somewhere down the line!

sleeknomad05
02-10-2010, 11:48 AM
I Won't hold that agianst ya. LOL You still active duty? If so where ya stationed? I spent 3 1/2 years at Norfolk on the Kennedy.

Touche! Yes, I am still active duty (8 years till retirement) and I am stationed at Quantico. I have been to Norfolk a few times! I was on the Wasp, Kearsarge, and Carter Hall (99'-01'). Did you retire from the Navy?

pat0021
02-10-2010, 11:49 AM
Touche! Yes, I am still active duty (8 years till retirement) and I am stationed at Quantico. I have been to Norfolk a few times! I was on the Wasp, Kearsarge, and Carter Hall (99'-01'). Did you retire from the Navy?

No. I did my 6 and got out. I loved the job, but hated the life style. Had I stayed I would be retired for a year and a half now. But no regrets. Going in and getting out were both the right decision.

sleeknomad05
02-10-2010, 11:56 AM
No. I did my 6 and got out. I loved the job, but hated the life style. Had I stayed I would be retired for a year and a half now. But no regrets. Going in and getting out were both the right decision.

That's admirable. Not everybody is "a lifer"! Thank you for your service!

pat0021
02-10-2010, 11:58 AM
No, thank you. If I can make it down that way this summer i'll have to look ya up.

sleeknomad05
02-10-2010, 12:07 PM
No, thank you. If I can make it down that way this summer i'll have to look ya up.

Sounds good! A lot of great roads around here!

jabbott
02-11-2010, 04:33 AM
The "crossover" tube has been removed, with a chrome cover on the left side to fill in the space which was left. On the right side I have a Kuryakyn Pro Hypercharger which give me all the air the engine needs and looks good too. The Hypercharger gets some negative feedback as it sticks out a bit and some guys find it annoying on the knee. I have some spacers on the floorboard, a larger brake pedal and dont have a problem, got used to it. There are a number of options for the intake, all accomplish the same but look a little different, if you ask in the forum a lot of guys will tell you what they have and why its the "best". The picture is my Nomad today, it has taken a long time to reach its current look and I love it!

2thdr
02-11-2010, 11:19 AM
A quick fix for those wrascally, noisy Vulcan engines...get loud pipes! :mrgreen:

2thdr
02-11-2010, 11:20 AM
Uh oh...I didn't just do that, did I?

Top K
02-11-2010, 02:05 PM

Ride Safe!

P.S. Semper Fi pat0021!!

SSgt Ryan Cantrell/USMC

Welcome to the forum and to the Kawasaki community, Devil Dog! I assume you're stationed at Quantico? I retired from there in '99 - used to live in Aquia Harbour. Now living in Aylett, VA, which is about 30 miles NE of Richmond. I'm not far from you, so drop me a line if you ever get down my way on a ride - beautiful country away from the "burgs" where you currently live.

Top K
02-11-2010, 02:11 PM
Thanks for the tips! The intake is one thing I will do shortly after getting it! Did you leave "the fake intake" alone? What kind did you put on yours? I like that Nomad in your profile pic! Is this your ride? I would like to make mine a "full dresser" somewhere down the line!

Well heck, if you want to "dress" it out, why not get a Voyager? It's the Nomad dressed out for ya. Also the least expensive dresser on the market. Very pleased with mine.

sleeknomad05
02-15-2010, 10:38 PM
A quick fix for those wrascally, noisy Vulcan engines...get loud pipes! :mrgreen:

Got em'....and they sound AWESOME! Can't hear any crazy noises over the blasting, harmonic tone of the Vance&Hines bagger duals!!

sleeknomad05
02-15-2010, 10:58 PM
Well heck, if you want to "dress" it out, why not get a Voyager? It's the Nomad dressed out for ya. Also the least expensive dresser on the market. Very pleased with mine.

Thanks for the Welcome Top! Yes, I am stationed at Quantico. It doesn't sound like you are TOO far from F'burg. Looks like I could shoot down US-2/301 and be almost in your neighborhood. I live just West of US-2 off of US-17(Mills Dr). Taking a trip down there would be an idea for a ride that I will have to put up to the group I ride with. I joined a group last year called The 540 Riders (online at Meetup.com). You should check us out! We have one trip planned for the end of April to ride skyline dr/BR Pkwy, navigating the Tail of the Dragon and Devil's triangle...a four day trip!

I am working my way up to the bigger bikes. Started out with a V-Star 650 and made the big jump to the Nomad, which I love so far! I would have loved to have bought that new Voyager, just don't want that big of a debt right now. I paid $5100 after my trade for the 05' Nomad. Great miles too, only 6300!

I have some pics to post...trying to figure out how to post them...

sleeknomad05
02-15-2010, 11:12 PM
The "crossover" tube has been removed, with a chrome cover on the left side to fill in the space which was left. On the right side I have a Kuryakyn Pro Hypercharger which give me all the air the engine needs and looks good too. The Hypercharger gets some negative feedback as it sticks out a bit and some guys find it annoying on the knee. I have some spacers on the floorboard, a larger brake pedal and dont have a problem, got used to it. There are a number of options for the intake, all accomplish the same but look a little different, if you ask in the forum a lot of guys will tell you what they have and why its the "best". The picture is my Nomad today, it has taken a long time to reach its current look and I love it!

I'll have to get some "how to" tips from you later down the road! I have done a little research on "dressing out" the Nomad. I think the hardest thing I had finding out was where to get the trunk...