Contour 14 [Archive] - Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums

Contour 14

Nando
02-10-2010, 04:18 AM
I am thinking between a C-14 or a Beemer RT.

Any of you guys have experience with both of these. I am leaning toward the Kawasaki because it looks like a great design.

How do you get a lower sitting on the C-14?
How is the center of gravity for driving around the city?

I am dumping a Goldwing and desiring a more maneuverable, smaller ride...

Got advice?

dup's Connie 14
02-10-2010, 05:24 AM
Welcome to the forum.
I have had the chance to ride both bikes. It would be a toss up for me if they where the same price. But they are not. So I have the C-14. Love it by the way.
If you are coming from a Goldwing then any of them will be more agile.

Oh, and some ufi,
BMW Car Club of BC - bimmer vs beemer perspective (http://www.bmwccbc.org/misc/tech-and-trivia/bimmer.html)

messer00
02-10-2010, 11:05 AM
I have not been on either bike, but I prefer the looks on the C-14 and the 2010 model just received an excellent review in Motor Cyclist magazine last month.

dup's Connie 14
02-10-2010, 11:20 AM
Well, mine is a 09 and I still like it. I might have to keep it for a few years, til I find a deal on a 2010.

northernman
02-10-2010, 11:20 AM
Personally as a C14, and former "Beemer" owner, I would for sure go with the Concours 1400.

rbentnail
02-10-2010, 06:38 PM
FJR baby!! Bwaahahahahahaha!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

http://i4.photobucket.com/albums/y107/rbentnail/New%20FJR/DSCN0564.jpg

Actually, I'll try to be helpful one time, since over the years we've beaten this C14/ST1300/FJR/BMW horse to death.

Do this- near the top of the thread is a botton called "search". Click it. Now click "advanced search". On the left type FJR and in the small box below it click "search entire posts". On the right type rbentnail and in the small box below it click "find posts by user". Now click the button at the bottom that says "search now". Kick back with a 12-pack of your fave beverage and read, read, read until the cows come home.

And good luck with your decision. It's a big leap of faith going cruiser/tourer to a sport tourer. Many of us here including me agonized for months over what to do, aggravating the [email protected] out of everyone. And seriously, if you're already asking about lowering the C14, check out Yamaha's FJR. I know, I know. It ain't a Kawasaki. But it's a fine, very capable machine. And somewhere in those search results are the reasons I picked it over the C14, for what that's worth. I don't regret getting it 2 yrs ago and would buy another one in a heartbeat.

Again, good luck. I hope you find what you're looking for and will be happy to lead you astray into Yamaha's real-motorcycle country. Feel free to send all the pm's you'd like, I'll help where and when I can. Happy Trails!

Bubba68CS
02-10-2010, 07:17 PM
I'm with Russ...don't count out that FJR. Its a seriously nice bike...and when I was looking this past summer, it fit better than the C14 (which I thought was a bit tall and top heavy for me).

I ended up with a ZX-14, but that FJR left a lasting impression...I'd like to add one to my stable down the road.

aKorn
02-10-2010, 08:08 PM
I read a review of the 10 c14. The traction control sounds completely bada$$

Bubba68CS
02-11-2010, 11:26 AM
I read a review of the 10 c14. The traction control sounds completely bada$$

Kawi's website has a video of it in action :cool:

insolentminx
02-12-2010, 06:30 AM
ZX-10R with saddlebags :biggrin:

MLKN
02-15-2010, 02:33 AM
2010 Concours 14 ABS for sure.
as for lowerign it, there is a rear lowering kit adn the front jsut needs to be adjusted to match. You can also get another seat that will drop it down about 1.5"

48Rob
02-15-2010, 08:53 AM
How much trouble did those of you that switched from the laid back seating position of a cruiser/tourer to a sport tourer encounter?

I've tried sitting on them in a showroom, and they feel okay, but I'm not so sure about being stuck in one position all day...

rbentnail
02-15-2010, 06:15 PM
How much trouble did those of you that switched from the laid back seating position of a cruiser/tourer to a sport tourer encounter?

I've tried sitting on them in a showroom, and they feel okay, but I'm not so sure about being stuck in one position all day...
I find the upright, slightly leaning forward position way more comfortable on my FJR, it's one of the main reasons I switched styles. I had to get the weight off my tailbone- after about 120 miles on a 1500 it felt like it was being jammed up into my spine. Not so on an FJR- I sit on my haunches, kinda like sitting upright in a straight-backed chair vs. leaning back in a recliner.

I don't know where you get the idea of "being stuck in one position all day". I can move around as much on an FJR as I can on a 1500 and an 800 before that. Granted, the seating position isn't for everyone. But I can do mileage now (540 in 1 day & 2202 in 5 days are my records, so far!) that I would never have considered trying on a 1500.

trikebubble
02-15-2010, 06:52 PM

I'll second Russ comments wholeheartedly. While my ZX14 is slightly more "aggresive" than a C14 or FJR (though I have added risers) I find myself far more comfortable than on the previous ride (a cruiser). My back really likes the angled slightly forward position (kind of a lazy fetal position) than it did leaning way back on the cruiser.
I can only speak for myself, as everyone is different....but I don't think I'd ever be without a "sport-touring" (if you can call my version of a "hypersport-tourer a sport-tourer :mrgreen: ) again.

northernman
02-15-2010, 07:08 PM
I'll second Russ comments wholeheartedly. While my ZX14 is slightly more "aggresive" than a C14 or FJR (though I have added risers) I find myself far more comfortable than on the previous ride (a cruiser). My back really likes the angled slightly forward position (kind of a lazy fetal position) than it did leaning way back on the cruiser.
I can only speak for myself, as everyone is different....but I don't think I'd ever be without a "sport-touring" (if you can call my version of a "hypersport-tourer a sport-tourer :mrgreen: ) again.

Agreed, the cruiser position gives me a sore butt, back, and also shoulders.

Not to mention with my feet ahead like that, i never feel totally in control of the bike, like i do on a standard.

Bubba68CS
02-15-2010, 07:26 PM
I'll also throw in my 2 cents on the riding position (ZX-14 as well):

I have yet to complain about the stock seat on the '14...I replaced the 900's stock seat with a gel comfort seat from Kawi...but my butt still went numb after an hour or so. Haven't had a numb-butt since I bought the ZX-14. :biggrin:

Now, my legs get a bit cramped on the ZX-14 (the Concours and FJR have quite a bit more leg room if I remember right)...but my legs are incredibly weak and VERY inflexible...and even then only need a quick stretch after a couple hours to get going again. I started working out, doing body weight-only exercises for awhile (a month) and that significantly improved my riding comfort...so anyone with 'normal' legs should be fine on a ZX...I'd be fine on a Concours or FJR.

I have a bad back, but never had any issues on the '14 (only very minor issues on the 900 though...so take that for what you will). Also haven't had any wrist problems since the first day (when I was putting ALL of my weight on them)...I do not have any risers installed.

Also, like northernman said, you'll have better control with your feet under you rather than out front.

Its not for everyone...but I like the riding position on the sport touring rides better than the cruisers.

48Rob
02-15-2010, 07:31 PM
Thanks for the thoughts!

By "being stuck in one position" I meant that on my Nomad I can "sit up" "stretch my legs out on the highway pegs" (two different sets of pegs, so two different positions) or "put my feet behind me on the passenger footrests".

It just looks like on a sport tourer that there is only one position?

I'm not knocking the bike, I really don't know, that's why I asked.
My tail bone and back don't hurt, and my shoulders are fine too.
I spent a lot of time reforming a Mustang seat, adding risers, and installing longer bars.
The result is like having a recliner...

That said, the agility and fairing look like they would make for a nice ride too.
Guess I better get out there and do a test ride.

rbentnail
02-15-2010, 08:02 PM
Thanks for the thoughts!

By "being stuck in one position" I meant that on my Nomad I can "sit up" "stretch my legs out on the highway pegs" (two different sets of pegs, so two different positions) or "put my feet behind me on the passenger footrests".

It just looks like on a sport tourer that there is only one position?

Nah, when you ride an ST, you find you can put your feet on passenger pegs, sit on the rear seat and stretch the back a bit, and believe it or not there are highway pegs that bolt on so you can stretch your legs out in front a bit. You'd be amazed at the stuff available (http://www.motorcyclelarry.com/index.php?main_page=index&cPath=5) for creature comforts on an ST.

I'm not knocking the bike, I really don't know, that's why I asked.
My tail bone and back don't hurt, and my shoulders are fine too.
I spent a lot of time reforming a Mustang seat, adding risers, and installing longer bars.

No problem here, no offense taken. The fall of '07 was when I started shopping STs and believe me, I drove lots of folks nuts with my questions.

Like most, regardless of style of bike, I've done some mods: a +2+2 windshield, 1" handle bar risers, throttle lock. I think that's it. Still using the factory seat.

The result is like having a recliner...

From Feb '08 :-D

- riding position is very comfortable for me. The heels are directly below the hip joint. Which means you can actually stand up on the pegs and let go of the handlebars. Try that on your recliner/cruiser! No, I did not actually ride around like that, but it is really nice to be able to stand up on rough road patches, railroad tracks, etc. instead of trying to pull yourself up with the handlebars. I always felt like I was losing stability when I had to put so much weight on the bars to try to save the tailbone from the jarring.

That said, the agility and fairing look like they would make for a nice ride too.
Guess I better get out there and do a test ride.
If you can find someone willing to allow test rides, do it!! No one here does. For your perusal (https://www.kawasakimotorcycle.org/forum/main-lobby/65240-cruiser-vs-sport-tourer.html), please ignore the drama as you scroll down. I had a burr up my butt that day.

48Rob
02-16-2010, 08:27 AM
Russ,

Maybe my Nomad is set up differently than most, but I can also stand on the floorboards while riding.
Haven't tried letting go of the handlebars while doing so, but often do while sitting.

I have a friendly dealer nearby where I can test out whatever they have.
Warmer weather with no ice is just around the corner.
There is just something about the look and feel of the sport tourers I've sat on that says "try me..."

Thanks for the thoughts and info!http://images.yuku.com/image/gif/2791664653514d3f0b3a18ec351769ccf3dee3cd.gif

rbentnail
02-16-2010, 06:04 PM
No problema, senor! Anytime.

"Just around the corner", eh? I want some of you've been smokin' :D! My fave saying of late is "I'm still waiting for global warming to kick my a$$".

texascycle
08-21-2010, 10:31 PM
... How is the center of gravity for driving around the city? ...

I find the Concours14 extremely easy to maneuver at any speed, but surprisingly so at slow speeds ... easy to balance, has a feathery lightness to it that really surprised me. I was expecting it to feel more bulky.