Need your help - 87 concours info [Archive] - Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums

Need your help - 87 concours info

whippau
02-14-2010, 08:21 PM
I'm looking at buying a 1987 concours but it has 93,000 miles on it. The guy selling of course says that the concours can easily go over 200,000 miles. Is this true or should I stay away from such a high mileage bike. Thanks.

RCW
02-16-2010, 12:10 AM
My personal opinion is that 200,000 miles is a stretch. I have run one up over 143,000 miles, but it did require some repairs in the process. The guy that bought it from me is still riding it without problems, just routine service. But, I do not think he has put more than maybe another 18,000 miles on it in two years.

I had nothing ever fail and strand me, but it did require valve work, new cam chain and followers, and a manual cam chain tensioner.

Routine seal and wheel bearing replacement about every seven years of riding. A new clutch or two, again nothing to write home about and would be expected with any bike.

The biggest pain in the backside was a wiring failure right down by the steering head under the left side of the tank. Kawasaki has a tight spot there that results in the wiring getting pinched then pulled and you get lighting failures. Easy to find and repair.

There was also the every two year service and eventual rebuild of the suspension to keep it performing. I also did the replacement of the pegs and mounts as they tend to get fractured over time because you can actually really crank one of these down the highway and peg dragging is common in the sweepers.

Carburetors require routine maintenance, and eventual rebuilding with new main jet needle diaphragms compatible with oxygenated fuels we have now days. The carburetors require synchronizing about once a year if you appreciate well tuned performance - not difficult or earth shaking.

My recommendation is that you take a look at what the folks at cog-online.org have to say about their rides.

If you are tall you will likely want to consider lowering the pegs to fit long legs, and modifying the fairing to handle hot weather better. The do tend to cook the rider in 85 degree and up weather.

If the bike checks out, and routine service was performed, I would not be afraid to ride it a good while longer. But, it is mechanical and things do require maintenance.

beachy
02-18-2010, 09:51 PM
these are great bikes but since the 14 came out the prices are dropping on the
10s so make sure you get a great price.23 years old

Pfloydgad
02-18-2010, 10:52 PM
Get a compression check, pull the tupperware and look the motor over, Check charging system and battery load, check fork seals and rotors for pitting or damage. put on centerstand and rotate rear tire checking for wobble, and do the same with front, eyeing its rotation. Pull some fuel out of the tank while in Reserve, filter and look for any rust particles. I know this sounds like alot, but this is a good idea with any used bike, the miles on a Connie, if well taken care of are not extreme. My first had 153k when traded, my current one is at 57k and rolling just fine.
Ride safe all.
Greg