Engine turning off by itself [Archive] - Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums

Engine turning off by itself

wbilotta
04-04-2010, 07:25 PM
Today I took the bike out for a quick ride to the store. Four times it died while slowing down and downshifting. When I pull in the clutch the RPM's start falling and sometimes fall all the way to zero. The gas tank was full.

I've also noticed the RPM's drop below 950 when I pull in the clutch and the RPM's start falling. It's like the bike doesn't notice the RPM's are falling below the 950 limit before it happens. Usually the rpm's get low and then come back up.

The bike only has 65 miles on it. Not a good start to a long relationship.

2010 Voyager 1700 ABS

pat0021
04-04-2010, 07:27 PM
Well what year, what kind of bike. Welcome to the forum by the way. And if the bike is brand new like it sounds. Take it to the dealer. Its under warrenty right?

rbentnail
04-05-2010, 06:04 PM
Sounds like you just need to adjust your idle up. It should be described in the MOM how to do this. Dealers are notorious for setting them low: they start the bike, set the idle and turn it off. They fail to recognize the high idle warm-up.

wbilotta
04-05-2010, 07:31 PM
Sounds like you just need to adjust your idle up. It should be described in the MOM how to do this. Dealers are notorious for setting them low: they start the bike, set the idle and turn it off. They fail to recognize the high idle warm-up.

I tried turning up the idle but it didn't work

mikem12
04-15-2010, 12:23 PM
I have an 09, it did the same thing. What I found was to allow the motor to warm up past the first mark before riding. Usually takes 3 or 4 minutes.

wbilotta
04-15-2010, 10:45 PM
I have an 09, it did the same thing. What I found was to allow the motor to warm up past the first mark before riding. Usually takes 3 or 4 minutes.

It amazes me that people are willing to accept this. Fuel injection is not a new concept for motorcycles. Kawasaki has a flaw in the bike's design that needs to be remedied.

Once I put a few more miles on the bike I will take it in to have this corrected. If the dealership is unable to fix the problem then I will bring Kawasaki into the conversation by whatever means necessary. I spent a lot of money for my bike, I'm not going to settle.

I did call Kawasaki to inform them about the problem. The customer service rep I spoke to said I'm the first to call with this problem.....:roll:

pat0021
04-16-2010, 05:15 AM
The customer service rep I spoke to said I'm the first to call with this problem.....:roll:

That is what I heard too with my 900 with the ECU problems. Then about a year later a massive recall.

muddler
04-20-2010, 10:16 PM
This is goofy, I know, but when I got the 1700 Nomad, they (the dealer and service manager) made it a point to tell me to let it run 12 seconds without touching the throttle (this evidently is the time needed for the ecu to read the sensors and make the appropriate adjustments). By the time I put on the helmet and pull on the gloves, 12 seconds has elapsed and I've never had a problem... is it right?... That's for everyone to decide for themselves I guess. For me it hasn't been a hassle.

jtcNinja
04-21-2010, 12:08 PM
I know with older bikes like with carbs you'd have to let the thing warm up a bit.. I guess with fuel injection it cant hurt to let all the fluids run through and warm up a bit before heading out.. it sure wont hurt it at all. I even let my zx10r sit while I get read with the helmet and such and passenger then I take off especially while its in the 50s

texasm203
04-23-2010, 03:01 AM
True, and pretty much everybody paid a substantial amount of money for their bikes. It's just something that some people accept. I would think your best bet would be to go to the dealer. More miles probably won't make the problem magically go away. And if it does, it's probably a bad thing that will bite you in the @$$ in a very inopportune time. If this truly is an "error" with Kawasaki fuel injection systems, the mechanics should be able to recognize and fix it no problem. Keep in mind it may not be a fuel issue either. Engines these days have more computer chips and wiring that the first moon lander. Could be a bad chip, a wire that's not connected, etc.