Can I go to one muffler? [Archive] - Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums

Can I go to one muffler?

drew9652
05-20-2010, 07:43 PM
Wondering if I can remove left side muffler on my 1998 ninja 600 with no major modifications? I realize i would have to cap left side after length of pipe is removed.
Any suggestions?

OneShadeOfGreen
05-21-2010, 08:54 PM
I think it would run proper-poorly after this, it'd mean just capping the collector-box i think so bad idea unless you cut one complete 'arm' of the 'Y' off and plate it over. One silencer wouldn't have the volume to flow properly unless you, errrr, liberated a bit of sound up ;)

A proper 4-into-1 would be better if the look is the thing, all money though sadly :frown:

klx678
05-22-2010, 08:25 AM
Don't do it. As was said, it is likely you'll kill performance. The reason for two mufflers is to get exhaust volume to free up flow, yet still keep the bike sufficiently quiet. Hacking off a muffler will reduce volume and flow. A proper replacement is in order if you want to keep good performance. Take a look at what is going on with the big inch supersports - dual mufflers. Can you say "good exhaust flow"? I thought you could.

Do it right or leave it alone. I chose the latter with my 550. I like being able to crank it up without the cops two blocks over hearing me not to mention keeping the neighbors happy when I fire it up, with that notorious Kawasaki "choke" high idle of about 5000 rpm.