Touring Pack Lists [Archive] - Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums

Touring Pack Lists

Elmer
06-02-2010, 04:15 PM
:troll:Traveling light or Packing the kitchen sink? I was curious if others have found that as the years go by and experience is gained they find themselves leaving behind much of what they once considered essential.

Available space is of course the ultimate limiting factor. Some might say the ultimate comfort limiting factor.

What we need differs with where, when, and how we are going as well as our personal needs.

I find it's time to rethink my touring lists.

My master list included everything I could think of and for awhile it grew with every tour. Then I found it shrinking as I started removing bulky items such as duplicate articles of clothing. My routine is to print off a fresh "master list" and then check off what I wanted as I packed it.

trikebubble
06-02-2010, 05:39 PM
Pack light, then re-pack even lighter is my motto. Laundromats are your friend the way I see it, I carry one extra set of jeans a sweater and a few pairs of t-shirts, undies, and socks when I'm on the road. We don't pack food or cooking gear with us, and rarely if ever tent it while on the road anymore either. I'll take the basic safety supplies along with me, and always carry my BCAA card in case of a breakdown...but aside from that (and the heated vest and rain gear) that's about all we carry for anything from a weekend up to a 2 week road trip.

Vulcan900
06-02-2010, 08:02 PM
I just got back from a run to Key West. We packed light on the way down but still bottomed out a few times. Then we bought a few things while there and decided to ship all "non-essential" items back so we would be real light on the way back. Big mistake.

Tuesday morning at 3:00AM we finally made it to the hotel at the halfway point. We were lucky all night and only hit a few light showers, but then in the last 5 minutes it monsooned. We unloaded, got to the room, and stripped. I went to the laundry room wearing only pair of shorts and carrying 70% of the clothes we had with us. What did I find... two freakin' broken dryers!!!! I had used the same **** dryer last Friday.

Elmer
06-03-2010, 12:17 AM
Pack light, then re-pack even lighter is my motto.

I used to pack to many changes of bulky clothes. Your list seem spot on. Underwear and socks are quick dry materials. Other than the tool roll that came with the motorcycle I always carry a small flashlight, tire gauge, and air chuck. Camera and cell phone along with their chargers go along but so far have never had to recharge either. Simply carrying an extra battery for the camera would make more sense for me. The cell phone is often if not "usually" in an "out of service area" but it has come in handy.

Even with its small size my backpacker first aid kit is overkill. I could incorporate what I need into my roll up (camping style) toiletry kit. I used to carry a can of wipe down spray for the windscreen. Then I learned that a simple spray bottle of eyeglass cleaner from the drug store served the purpose using a tiny fraction of the space and it was refillable. A micro fleece cloth is always there to aid in bug removal.

doebag
06-03-2010, 09:36 AM
If you are touring regularly, then this may help.
When you get back, make three piles of gear.
1st- all the stuff you took and used.
2nd- all the stuff you took and used,but could have done without.
3rd -all the stuff you took but did not use.
Next time you go, leave behind all the stuff that was in pile three, make choices from pile two, and take all of pile one.
When you get back, carry out the exercise again. Eventually,you will never get a pile three or two, because everything will be stuff you take and need.

In respect to tools, take stuff that you can reasonably expect to be able to use at the roadside, so no torque wrenches or valve shim tools. But take any special tools that a roadside repair man or garage may not have e.g large hex head to remove wheel spindles. Remember that our bikes are metric !

Ken
06-03-2010, 11:02 AM
Pack half as much clothes as you planned and twice as much money! :) On long trips (more than 5 days) I usually either hit a laundromat, or ship dirty clothes home and buy some new clothes on the road.

And I also use a nifty little free online checklist maker called Backpack. Here's the page I created/use/modify for ride planning/packing:
http://kboyer.backpackit.com/pages/505900-motorcycle-packing-checklist

Elmer
06-03-2010, 01:12 PM
doebag: good system! There could be a small 4th pile ... things that you wished you had brought along. I carry a little note book when I travel and set aside a page to list this type of item.

As far as tools go I always struggle with the idea of whether or not to bring my 12 volt air compressor and tire patch kit. With tubless tires I admit I am leaving the compressor home more often; haven't needed it yet. A couple of years ago I got a nail in the rear tire while traveling. Never lost any air pressure so I left it alone and made it back home again a few days later. As it turned out I was glad that I did leave it alone because it penetrated the tire at a shallow angle and my tubeless patch kit wouldn't have worked. Flat is FLAT however and in that case as Ken mentioned bring "MONEY".

doebag
06-03-2010, 01:36 PM
doebag: good system!

As far as tools go I always struggle with the idea of whether or not to bring my 12 volt air compressor and tire patch kit.

Thank you!
as for tyres, I carry one of those aerosol foam tyre repair doodah's. It has saved me twice,once on a rain lashed motorway hard shoulder.