DEER CROSSING [Archive] - Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums

DEER CROSSING

Elmer
06-21-2010, 06:05 PM
Never let your guard down. Deer a common sight around here and just today I spotted five. Not a new record by any means.
Yesterday I was in a neighoring city. Not a big town even by northern Michigan standards but larger than the villages around here. Traffic was very light. No danger in sight and nothing expected on this 2 lane road in the business district. Suddenly a flash of motion to my right and here comes a big doe emerging from the landscape and flying over the sidewalk landing directly in front of me. On came the brakes, no thought of down shifting, I got within 15 or 20 feet and she was all ready into her second leap and clearing my path. I'm confident that I would have come to a complete stop before reaching her, I was doing about 30 mph when I spotted her but it was still too close for comfort.
I find it interesting that my two closest deer encounters both occured within cities. The other time the deer came from left to right and managed to get even closer before I spotted it. I wasn't looking for trouble in that direction ... thank you periferal vision! That was a real up close and personal experience and for a tiny fraction of a second a tire squawked in protest.
If there is a message here it is just that danger can come from any direction at any time of day especially when it is least expected. If a deer does cross your part even if it is well ahead of you always look for the second or thrid deer following it. My record here is one deer and 4 trailers with the last one spaced several seconds further back than each of the others.
:troll:

Dudester
06-21-2010, 06:09 PM
Thanks for the heads up. You have some good advice. ;)

Hot Cruiser
06-21-2010, 06:15 PM
They're all over the place in this part of Oregon. About a dozen routinely are in our neighborhood nearly every day, and on the road they pop out of the bordering forests like ghosts. A neighbor had one run into the side of his van while he was on his way to work in the dark - did quite a lot of damage. It's vital to keep one's eyes open.

trikebubble
06-21-2010, 06:19 PM
Their was a deer .vs biker encounter close to here this past weekend, and unfortunately the biker lost his life. So yeh, please be careful.

rbentnail
06-22-2010, 06:59 PM
always sound advice, thanks for the reminder.

vicioina
06-22-2010, 07:42 PM
Also, Y'all might think about deer whistles. I live in TX now and was in MN and CA before, had them on my bikes and never seen one cross my path yet.(knock on wood, thanks lord!)

Elmer
06-23-2010, 08:50 AM
Deer are curious animals. It is a common occurrence to see one up ahead standing in my lane and watching my approach. No worry here; greatest danger is from the ones that are running scared and enter the roadway at a 90 degree angle giving the rider or driver almost no time to react.
The jury is still out on deer whistles. A couple of good deer whistle articles appeared in motorcycle magazines over the last couple of years. They used a variety of wind and electric powered whistles but were unable to conclude that they had any effect at all in the tests.
Emergency vehicles used to routinely have them installed. I don't see the whistles any more but they may be mounted in a more remote locations. One thing for sure any whistle you may choose will be every bit as effective as my gremblin bell.

Box
06-23-2010, 10:52 AM
I've managed to avoid quite a few deer here in Europe, scary little beasts.
I didn't manage to avoid a 6' Kangaroo many years back, made a very nasty mess.

The one that truly terrifies me is the Elk or Elg as they are know in Finland, I spend a lot of my time there and I have seen what they can do to a truck.

Imagine running into one of these on a bike.

http://i155.photobucket.com/albums/s296/storeben/Bike/elg.jpg

http://i155.photobucket.com/albums/s296/storeben/Bike/Charge.jpg

http://i155.photobucket.com/albums/s296/storeben/Bike/moose.jpg

Elmer
06-23-2010, 07:30 PM
Box: Were going to need a bigger bike.
Awesome pictures. I saw a moose once on a foggy morning in Michigans Upper Peninsula. For me it was the highlight of my ride around Lake Superior. I also saw half a dozen small Elk running parallel to the shoulder of the road on a ride to across this state but they were nothing compared to the threatening picture of that bull elk that you posted.