2001 Kawasaki Voyager XII [Archive] - Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums

2001 Kawasaki Voyager XII

RoadRunner322
07-15-2010, 08:49 PM
I'm tetering on the precipice of buying a very nice 2001 Kawasaki Voyager XII with 31,000 miles. This is the older style Voyager that was a competitor of the Gold Wings. Are there any present or previous old style Voyager owners out there who can tell me what they think of this bike?

Thanks

RoadRunner322
07-21-2010, 06:14 PM
Ok, so if I buy the Voyager, I know I want get any information from this site! Ha!

Decision time is upon me.

rbentnail
07-22-2010, 07:15 PM
Sorry I can't help, but these guys abbikeboard.com • Index page (http://abbikeboard.com/forum/) are all things Voyager, Rev. 1. Good luck!

RoadRunner322
07-22-2010, 08:02 PM
Thanks Russ

I had checked their board and learned a lot by reading the info on their site. I did not join and ask questions. I also read the American Voyager Association's web site info.

I just got back from a test ride. I've decided not to buy it because it is so noisy. From what I've read, Kawasaki uses straight cut gears in the trans instead of helical cut because they are sturdier (like race cars). Well, it makes for a really noisy transmission, so noisy I don't think I could tolerate it long term. It makes it sound like a very old bike even though this one is very very nice. Oh well, at least I now know that there will not be a Voyager in my future. I was impressed by the low seat height and overall design. I also now know why people pay the price for a Wing. The Voyager XII is 100 to 130 lbs lighter than the Wing!

rbentnail
07-23-2010, 06:08 PM
Sorry to hear it didn't work out for you but I'm sure something will come along.

RoadRunner322
07-24-2010, 08:50 AM
My wife doesn't like riding with me on the ZN700 except around town at a slow pace. I thought she would like riding double on a big Voyager and I liked the idea of having some luggage for trips. But, I like quiet as much as possible. I'm going to go test ride an 05 Gold Wing today for comparison purposes. I'm sure the price will be way too high for me to buy it though.

RoadRunner322
07-24-2010, 04:09 PM
Well, I went to the Honda/Kawasaki dealer today and test rode a 2006 Gold Wing with 8k miles on it. I loved it! Only problem is that they want a fortune for it. Their initial asking price is $17,999 which is ridiculous. I'm sure they will take less but don't know how much less. It handles great for a big bike. The Gold Wing transmission makes its share of noise too. Not as much as the 01 Voyager XII, but quite a bit of noise.

When I was looking at the Wing, a guy about 30 yrs old rode up on his 2003 Shadow. It had a very large pack on the back and he had a backpack. He wanted to sell it to the dealer. Turns out he is from Sweden and he has spent the last two months touring the US on the Shadow. He left Miami and went to CA to the Redwood forest, Yosemite, Vegas and all over. I wish he had time to talk more and tell me about the trip.

rbentnail
07-24-2010, 05:06 PM
Those GoldWings are some nice bikes, aircraft cockpit and all. I leave a little pile of drool next to one or two every time I visit my local Honda dealer. I've never ridden one tho.

pat0021
07-24-2010, 06:11 PM
Heck for 18 grand you could buy a new voyager

dslater35
07-31-2010, 12:04 PM
The Voyager XII that I had didn't seem to make all that much noise so I'd think about test riding another if you get the chance and still are somewhat interested. Of course the GL1800 that I had a few years back seemed quiet to me as well but then again I've been on a lot of loud bikes and I'm sure my hearing isn't what it used to be!

For comfort both the Voyager XII and the last couple of generations of Goldwings are hard to beat. As the GL1800 has been out since 2001 they've become much more affordable although the bang-for-the-buck nod might still have to go to the XII. Here is a link to a place where I've seen some decent GL1800 deals: GL1800 Classifieds- 4 Sale by Owner - GL1800Riders (http://gl1800riders.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=21)

Ride safe and often!